Highest TD accuracy amongst fighters with 100+ TD attempts

Iron Nick

Silver Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Straight to the point, here's the stat (top 5) from one of my favorite MMA-related instagram pages that i thought to be worth sharing here:

For those whose who - for whatever reason - can't see the picture i've embedded, there you go:

34 fighters in UFC history have 100+ takedown attempts

Highest TD accuracy amongst them:

1. Georges St-Pierre (73.8%)
2. Demetrious Johnson (54.8%)
3. Jon Fitch (54.7%)
4. Curtis Blaydes (54.1%)
5. Gleison Tibau (53.5%)

EDIT(x2):

(Via the comment section: according to the page itself, Khabib ranks currently 10th with a takedown accuracy of 48.0%, right behind Kamaru Usman, who has a percentage of 48.5.)

Very cool TS :)
FdRqnMYpblEFrL54Ks-_lVE8HyJ_Ka63yCVABHbgYKI.jpg

(Via the comment section: according to the page itself, Khabib ranks currently 10th with a takedown accuracy of 48.0%, right behind Kamaru Usman, who has a percentage of 48.5.)

Kind of a deceptive stat because Khabib would shoot garbage shots just to make contact or as feints to confuse his opponent.

He's arguably the best in terms of maintaining control over an opponent.

Last edited:
What is the sports stats? Is this just stats for guys under a certain banner and disregards there entire career?

Before I opened the thread I knew Gsp would be at the top , but damn I didn’t expect by that big a margin

attempts are different than chain wrestling. A guy like askren even will get you down 100% of the time. The intital lock up and what’s counted as an attempt isn’t necessarily a stat friendly uhhhmm stat

Last edited:
Demetrious Johnson would fake knee taps into striking exchanges. They would add up to his takedown "attempts", hence why lower TD accuracy. He is more advanced when it comes to mixing arts than anybody else.

DJ would score 74 takedowns in 18 UFC fights. GSP 90 in 22. DJ's TD-to-fights ratio still better.

Read Seth Godin's book "The Dip". GSP's stats are one more proof of what that dude was on about. How there's a huge drop between number one and number two (unless #1 is losing his spot) and being TOP 5 means little cause they're sharing millimeters between them. Shocking moral of the story: you should want to be number one. I know. Mind-blowing.

Damn, that GSP though

levels to this
I know right? crazy.
Very cool TS :)
FdRqnMYpblEFrL54Ks-_lVE8HyJ_Ka63yCVABHbgYKI.jpg
Thanks you and regarding the quote: i guess his approach has worked out quite decently for him, lol...
Before I opened the thread I knew Gsp would be at the top , but damn I didn’t expect by that big a margin
It's crazy because the extent to which he ranks highly in both the number and the accuracy of his takedowns is almost ridiculous.

If you go to the UFCs record book/statleader page and look at the grappling records amongst all fighters (active + retired) across all weightclasses, he - even amongst this elite - is the only guy who features in both top 10 most takedowns landed (#1, 90x) and the top 10 for highest takedown accuracy (#4, 73.8%).

GSP should have shot for a takedown when LW midget BJJ guy Matt Serra rocked him. Then he would have tapped to a submission instead of tapping to strikes.

Kind of a deceptive stat because Khabib would shoot garbage shots just to make contact or as feint to confuse his opponent.

Nobody is doubting Khabib’s control or takedown ability.

it’s just not on the level of GSP’s double leg (which takes less effort to complete)
If Khabib could take people down like GSP he would be doing it like GSP but his timing and striking to set up easy shots isn’t as good which is why his percentage as high.

Kind of a deceptive stat because Khabib would shoot garbage shots just to make contact or as feint to confuse his opponent.

I didn't pretend otherwise - many stats are deceptive, yet regardless of who is (or was) actually the best wrestler in the UFC, it helps to give context and is interesting, in my opinion.
Demetrious Johnson would fake knee taps into striking exchanges. They would add up to his takedown "attempts", hence why lower TD accuracy. He is more advanced when it comes to mixing arts than anybody else.

DJ would score 74 takedowns in 18 UFC fights. GSP 90 in 22. DJ's TD-to-fights ratio still better.
Interesting, i didn't know what actually gets counted as an attempt.

You arguably should not look at TDs/fight, but rather at TDs/time unit - i haven't done the math, but by looking at the numbers, Georges again comes close to DJs ratio, as St-Pierre's average fight time (which surprised me) was less than that of DJ.
Their average fight time is the following:
15:34 for St-Pierre
18:34 for Demetrious Johnson

GSP should have shot for a takedown when LW midget BJJ guy Matt Serra rocked him. Then he would have tapped to a submission instead of tapping to strikes.
You can't expect someone who's even in the highest echelons of fighters considered to be astute to have the superhuman reaction time of a sherdogger though.

I’m surprised Fitch and Tibau are so high

Tibau must’ve lowered his percentage a good amount by gassing out in every 3rd round of his career
Same here, though Tibau has now for a while struck me as a guy who indeed, is an extraordinary wrestler.

He is by the way the only guy to rank in the top 10 all time across all weight classes in both takedowns landed (#2., 84) and takedown defense (6., 92.1%).
That's actually insane.

Back