high school wrestling help please

Cameron

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ok recently i just started doing high school wrestling. so far the only thing im good at is sprawling. i cant get taken down. how ever the rest of my game is mediocer, i need help on takedowns and pins does any have any advice, or tips to help get better faster?any help would be much appreiciated.

ok recently i just started doing high school wrestling. so far the only thing im good at is sprawling. i cant get taken down.

Ok 1st off, get that thought outta your head..You can and will get taken down. The sooner you learn that the sooner you will ALSO focus on escapes and reversals.

The advice I give to you is to take a few moves from each position and work the heck out of them

From standing I would HIGHLY suggest learning the double underhooks and various trips from that position for many reasons.
A) Its also a great MMA technique
B) its really simple but it takes determination
C) You dont have to be very athletice to pull off takedowns from the double underhooks(see reason B)
d) I have seen a few 1st or 2nd year wrestlers carry this moves to regionals and even state .
e) Once you have underhooks in there are VERY few moves the opponent can pull off and of those counters they are easlily avoided. IMO the safest and most reliable position to be in when on your feet.
) double underhooks slow down the match and make it a war of wills(pummeling in) for a 1st year guy the speed of a good wrestler will overwhelm you. This will help even the playing field a bit.

Pinning combos..
Spiral ride/half nelson or various arm bars
from the bottom STAND UP, no questions asked is the escape you need to focus on...ESPECIALLY if you are good at the bear hugs I told you to learn earlier..

Oh and one more thing..start running..do sprints AND distance..if you have the stamina and are good with a few tchniques you prolly can win half your matches on varsity or better, depending on the competition.

Anyone out there a coach? Or even wrestlers..
Your thoughts?

Cameron said:
ok recently i just started doing high school wrestling. so far the only thing im good at is sprawling. i cant get taken down. how ever the rest of my game is mediocer, i need help on takedowns and pins does any have any advice, or tips to help get better faster?any help would be much appreiciated.

You "recently" started. You aren't going to get good overnight. The best way to improve is to spend more time on the mat. The only tips I can give you are, don't be afraid to be forceful. A lot of first year wrestlers are timid and aren't comfortable with the idea of inflicting pain (crossface for example) on other people. Get over that and you'll progress faster. Listen to your coaches, and for god sakes, ask questions if you don't get something. Pick one move from each position (standing, top, bottom) and perfect it. I used to wake up and do 30 stand-ups or duck-unders, etc... in the mirror every morning. If you do everything in wrestling practice as hard as you can you'll be decent, but, If you stay late and practice at home when everyone else is slacking, you can be great. Good luck.

thanks for all the tips guys they are much appreciated, keep them coming if you have any more.

knoxpk said:
Ok 1st off, get that thought outta your head..You can and will get taken down. The sooner you learn that the sooner you will ALSO focus on escapes and reversals.

The advice I give to you is to take a few moves from each position and work the heck out of them

From standing I would HIGHLY suggest learning the double underhooks and various trips from that position for many reasons.
A) Its also a great MMA technique
B) its really simple but it takes determination
C) You dont have to be very athletice to pull off takedowns from the double underhooks(see reason B)
d) I have seen a few 1st or 2nd year wrestlers carry this moves to regionals and even state .
e) Once you have underhooks in there are VERY few moves the opponent can pull off and of those counters they are easlily avoided. IMO the safest and most reliable position to be in when on your feet.

Pinning combos..
Spiral ride/half nelson or various arm bars
from the bottom STAND UP, no questions asked is the escape you need to focus on...ESPECIALLY if you are good at the bear hugs I told you to learn earlier..

Oh and one more thing..start running..do sprints AND distance..if you have the stamina and are good with a few tchniques you prolly can win half your matches on varsity or better, depending on the competition.

Anyone out there a coach? Or even wrestlers..
Your thoughts?

Let me guess.....HWY?? I used to coach and I wouldn't teach the double underhooks to a new guy unless he was 189 or above. Not saying it isn't a good move, but you can get thrown to your back quite a few times trying to perfect it. Same with lateral drops, double overs, over unders, etc... One thing I would like to tell the thread starter is stay AWAY from the head and arm! It's easy to pin a fish with this move but relying on it will handycap your other takedowns. BTW, I hate headhunters.

03wt_day1am_gr0239.jpg

double underhooks..good position here..and notice how the guy in red is scooting to the side..
The guy in red could step forward with his left leg and trip blue forward, he can step behind blues right leg with his left while twisting and take him backwards or he can step INTO him and lift him for a throw...meanwhile blue is gonna have a hard time doing anything except for playing defense.

One more thing...A lot of your team mates (especially the younger ones) will put a lot of stock in "million dollar moves" that look great, but seldom work. My suggestion is to watch upper level guys (college, olympics or even MMA guys with wrestling backgrounds) and see what moves they use. These guys are competing with the worlds best and they're sticking to the basics for the most part, duck-unders, arm drags, single/double legs, standups, switches etc ... Perfect the basics!

Check out Dan Gables "deck of cards" workout if you get a chance. Anyone out there have a web site for that?

Cameron said:

What weight are you?

Let me guess.....HWY?? I used to coach and I wouldn't teach the double underhooks to a new guy unless he was 189 or above. Not saying it isn't a good move, but you can get thrown to your back quite a few times trying to perfect it. Same with lateral drops, double overs, over unders, etc... One thing I would like to tell the thread starter is stay AWAY from the head and arm! It's easy to pin a fish with this move but relying on it will handycap your other takedowns. BTW, I hate headhunters.

actually when I did my wrestling I was about 160lbs. and I had 3 younger brothers all use it.

What I liked about the dbl under is the opponents had very limited ways to be offensive once you are locked in..yep..lateral..yep dbl overs but both of those were usually countered by dropping your hips loweer than theirs as they started to throw..and then they usually end up on their back...the youngest of us pinned the eventual state champ like that in an invitational tourney and the 2nd youngest had a 2-1 lead in the 3rd period of a match had double unders and when the lateral drop was attempted he dropped his hips and pinned the guy...He actually did that one at a dual meet versus brandon high school. they have been undefeated as a team since the 70's and well coached..he also pulled it off at the district semi finals..1st period, double unders..the opponent(who was seeded 2nd in the tourney) tried to throw w/dbl over..lowered the hips...scored 5 point(2 takedown, 3 back points0 went on to win 7-5 or something like that.

But you bring up a valid point hvy's usually do BEST with it but they are alos the ones who usually practice it more...the guys under 190lbs rarely play this game hence make it more effective for guys that do.

Oh another thing, you brought up the head and arm...
that is the other most favorite counter of guys who get caught in a good dbl under hook...just be ready to duck and you should score 2 points everytime.

knoxpk said:
03wt_day1am_gr0239.jpg

double underhooks..good position here..and notice how the guy in red is scooting to the side..
The guy in red could step forward with his left leg and trip blue forward, he can step behind blues right leg with his left while twisting and take him backwards or he can step INTO him and lift him for a throw...meanwhile blue is gonna have a hard time doing anything except for playing defense.

Blue has a wizzer with potential for a Hi-C or a firemans carry. I'm not saying hooks don't work, I'm just saying they're for upper level guys, and bigger guys who don't do to well with double legs.

HI-C Or firemans?
Maybe ...but With the way the other arm is wrapped in he is gonna have a helluva time hitting either..he has to first (In my opinion) get into to an over under position to hit either of these moves otherwise he is just gonna get stuffed by reds arm...

"Blue has a wizzer with potential for a Hi-C or a firemans carry"

Assuming Red doesn't have vises for hands, Blue should be able to crank that wizzer down against the shoulder joint to break the grip and as red pulls back up, hit the Hi-c or firemans using the overhook. I'm not doubting your technique Knox, I just think a first year kid needs to focus on walking before he starts running.

im 130 and 5'9. the only pin i can do is the head and arm and i kinda suck at it. another question you said to watch high level wrestling, do you know any videos or any thing or site where i can watch and see some high level wrestling.

bacon,
no harm done.
IMO (maybe b/c of my LACK of natural athletic ability..especially speed) I found the dbl unders to be the easiest thats why I brought it up..I am not suggest at all any type of belly to belly suplexes or such..more like inside and outside trips..and I HAVE seen them work but it takes reaction time ..as for putting guys on their backs just when you are about to "suck them up" (u wrasslers know what im talking about) is about the time they try to throw you. thats when you lower your hips.

But realisticlly try out several takedowns(to the original poster) see which one or 2 you REALLY like and feel good for you and work them over and over...

I have ALSO seen a 1st year varsity guy that knew NO OTHER takedown other than the double leg..his defense on the feet sucked and he almost always shot off the whistle and more often than not scored his takedown. He ended up the season over .500 and placed 3rd in districts and went on to regionals.
so there you go, an argument for the other side of the coin!

knoxpk said:
bacon,
no harm done.
IMO (maybe b/c of my LACK of natural athletic ability..especially speed) I found the dbl unders to be the easiest thats why I brought it up..I am not suggest at all any type of belly to belly suplexes or such..more like inside and outside trips..and I HAVE seen them work but it takes reaction time ..just when you are about to "suck them up" (u wrasslers know what im talking about) is about the time they try to throw you. thats when you lower your hips.

But realisticlly try out several takedowns(to the original poster) see which one or 2 you REALLY like and feel good for you and work them over and over...

I have ALSO seen a 1st year varsity guy that knew NO OTHER takedown other than the double leg..his defense on the feet sucked and he almost always shot off the whistle and more often than not scored his takedown. He ended up the season over .500 and placed 3rd in districts and went on to regionals.
so there you go, an argument for the other side of the coin!

Excellent advice. Perfection through repetition. If you can do one move perfect then you are a miles ahead of most guys.

Cameron, Dan Gable has a bunch of videos out there but they're pretty expensive. I'd ask your coaches if they have anything. I highly recommend wrestling freestyle after the regular season. That will give you the confidence and the balance required for the hooks and throws Knox and I were talking about. Have someone tape your matches for you so you can see your mistakes. When you're at tournaments, tape the finals matches. Those are the top guys at your level. You'd be surprised how much you can pick up just by paying attention. I'm not sure what state you live in, but get your ass to the state tourny. Those guys know what they're doing and you can learn a lot just by watching. Have fun

im in canada so i donno the situation with the tourneys but ill talk to my coaches. thanks for the advice

Have someone tape your matches for you so you can see your mistakes. When you're at tournaments, tape the finals matches.

Holy crap I almost forgot that point. Yep thats GREAT advice....we all learned SOOOOO much just by watching the matches again and again.

Ima 150 pounder, no arms, but I got tree trunk legs and about six months worth of BJJ ... but I seem really good with the dbl underhooks, seeing as thats the position Ive studied the most.

Also, what would you need to do to get rid of post practice shakes and cramps? I had my first official "practice" today, and all it was was just conditioning. I went home sick, had cramps, diarheya, shakes, muscle convulsions. It took me three hours to recover.

Also, Is it wise to eat alot of carbs before wrestling?

To the original poster- Get in front of a mirror and practice your level changes and penetration step. Do this shit alone, and drill it with partner until you think you're going to go crazy. It's the simple, overlooked shit that makes the difference between champions and also-rans.

Doubles, Singles, and Hi-C's. Standups, switches, and sit-outs. Watch the olympics thats mostly what they shoot. Master the basics and youll go very far in wrestling. Also intensity and attitude play a huge role. Go hard or go home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back