high percentage subs to practice

2om30 said:
americana

Yup, me too over 50% of my subs in competitions for gi and no gi come from americana / kimuras.

Other high percentage is collar chokes in gi. Chokes in general without the gi.

Iceman5592 said:
Is the guillotine better with or without the arm? I've heard both sides of the story. In the Mario Sperry tapes, he shows the guillotine with the arm in, but in the Bas Rutten DVDs, he says the guillotine is better without the arm.

The guilliotine with the arm in is a pretty sick move, if you know how to do it correctly. I don't know how Sperry does it, but the Matt Serra arm in guillotine works (that's how Pete Sell choked Phill Baroni unconcious).

The way it's set up is to grab the top of the hand that's choking. You bend that wrist to a 90 degree angle (in a way, you're "wristlocking" yourself). With your wrist at that angle, you've got a "point" so to speak, and you drive that into the side your opponent's neck. So you're squeezing his neck from the sides, cutting off the carotids, rather than pulling up like an armless guillotine.

Kimura, triangle, armbar...Wouldn't hurt to get good with leg locks either but be careful with them...

Most high percentage subs are armbars and chokes (rnc and triangle choke)...

the fang choke or the sith force choke are good chokes as well. ;)

DMcKayBJJ said:
Armbar, cross collar choke, Americana, triangle, kimura, RNC.

If you think you need more, you're focusing on subs too much and need to work on position and setup more.

That was my first thought. It seems that the ability to do "the basics" from almost any position is a talent worth having.

Back