High level wrestler will always lose to a high level boxer. If elite boxers entered they dominate

Look up Gracie vs Jimmerson, that's as close to what your asking for as you can get.

I'm talking about the top guys here. Although that is a much much better example than Couture even though it's not a wrestler so I will give you that. I believe that GGG for example would wreck any wrestler. Give that wrestler some striking and bjj, give GGG some tdd and bjj and he KOs the wrestler. People argue about the takedown but wrestlers have to worry about getting KOd too.

You can't just give a striker some TDD and BJJ, unless you're crazy athletic and have huge legs like Cro Cop and live with Werdum for years.

Pro boxer at the top of his division like Mayweather vs high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler in same weight class Mayweather wins 10/10 times. We have seen the success that top wrestlers have had in UFC and MMA in general. That is because there's not enough or in fact any money in wrestling so MMA will attract guys who want to use their skills. Boxing is completely different, there is much more money at every level. Top guys that aren't huge draws can still make McGregor money. So we don't get high level stars coming here in their prime.

A lot of people think that wrestling is more effective because in general wrestling has had more success in the octagon but this is because as we know there are a lot of very high level wrestlers and no high level boxers in the UFC so there's no fair way of comparing the two. But lets face it boxing attracts much much much more elite athletes than wrestling does and has a much more global reach. We have seen a guy like Brock who was a very accomplished college wrestler come in and have a lot of success with pretty much just wrestling, athleticism and a little bit of help with BJJ and striking. If you brought in guys like Mayweather in his prime and gave him some help with takedown defense and BJJ he would be unstoppable. Same goes for any top pro boxer. Boxing is dying a slow death and MMA will continue to grow. Hopefully some day we will get to see great boxers fight in their prime in the octagon.

Agree/disagree?
You sound like a bitter boxing fan.

You can't just give a striker some TDD and BJJ, unless you're crazy athletic and have huge legs like Cro Cop and live with Werdum for years.
But these boxers would be elite 'a level' athletes as sherdog likes to say. So it would come a lot easier to them.

Pro boxer at the top of his division like Mayweather vs high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler in same weight class Mayweather wins 10/10 times. We have seen the success that top wrestlers have had in UFC and MMA in general. That is because there's not enough or in fact any money in wrestling so MMA will attract guys who want to use their skills. Boxing is completely different, there is much more money at every level. Top guys that aren't huge draws can still make McGregor money. So we don't get high level stars coming here in their prime.

A lot of people think that wrestling is more effective because in general wrestling has had more success in the octagon but this is because as we know there are a lot of very high level wrestlers and no high level boxers in the UFC so there's no fair way of comparing the two. But lets face it boxing attracts much much much more elite athletes than wrestling does and has a much more global reach. We have seen a guy like Brock who was a very accomplished college wrestler come in and have a lot of success with pretty much just wrestling, athleticism and a little bit of help with BJJ and striking. If you brought in guys like Mayweather in his prime and gave him some help with takedown defense and BJJ he would be unstoppable. Same goes for any top pro boxer. Boxing is dying a slow death and MMA will continue to grow. Hopefully some day we will get to see great boxers fight in their prime in the octagon.

Agree/disagree?
Sigh

Um no. Floyd would get the fuck beat out of him by a wrestler the same size as him

You sound like a bitter boxing fan.
I'm actually not a boxing fan I prefer MMA but I do come from a boxing family. I'm actually the guy who has to defend MMA at family gatherings so I know most of the counter arguments already. But I think we haven't seen guys in their athletic prime with the striking skill of elite boxers whereas we have seen plenty of elite wrestlers in their athletic prime.

100% false.

It's almost always the opposite in MMA.

To succeed as "just" a high level striker in MMA you must have elite takedown defense (Prime Cro Cop, Chuck, etc). Otherwise wrestlers will take you down and GNP you into Bolivian.

I love boxing, but wrestling is probably the most basic fundamental to MMA success.

I'm actually not a boxing fan I prefer MMA but I do come from a boxing family. I'm actually the guy who has to defend MMA at family gatherings so I know most of the counter arguments already. But I think we haven't seen guys in their athletic prime with the striking skill of elite boxers whereas we have seen plenty of elite wrestlers in their athletic prime.

Yea obvious boxing fan I knew it. I can tell you have only watched mma a few months. It's obvious

The wrestler wins because they can remove boxing from the equation, the boxer can't remove wrestling from the equation.

If a high level boxer was to train with a top wrestler to develop solid TDD then they would have the advantage.

But these boxers would be elite 'a level' athletes as sherdog likes to say. So it would come a lot easier to them.

So you're just talking fantasy land, there is no real A level athlete, there's athletes that are explosive and powerful but can't fight at a high rate and athletes that have great cardio and pace and everything in between.

Just cause boxers get payed more than wrestlers does not make them better athletes, triathletes don't get payed much are they worse athletes because they don't get payed as well?

I think what you mean by A level athlete is someone like Yoel Romero but there isn't just one way to be athletic, all that means is someone who's good at a sport or sports.

100% false.

It's almost always the opposite in MMA.

To succeed as "just" a high level striker in MMA you must have elite takedown defense (Prime Cro Cop, Chuck, etc). Otherwise wrestlers will take you down and GNP you into Bolivian.

I love boxing, but wrestling is probably the most basic fundamental to MMA success.

How do people not get this? We have never seen high level strikers in MMA(other than old men who are short in money due to drug or gambling problems) so we can't say the opposite is the case.

Completely disagree. Wrestler wins almost every time. He might get clipped coming in but once he gets his hands on the boxer its all over for them

Yea obvious boxing fan I knew it. I can tell you have only watched mma a few months. It's obvious
No I have watched for years. A long time now we have the ppvs for free here on tv so its easy.

Didn't read but James Tony and Randy disagree

Agree/disagree?

Couture / Toney - good day, sir.

This again? TS is obviously new to the game, so we probably shouldn't be to hard on him. My suggestion is to go back and catch up on the history of the sport. These kinds of questions were answered 20 years ago.

As a side note, it's always funny when noobs bring up boxers in these conversations. If we're talking about pure strikers, then the conversation has to be about kickboxers. A high level kickboxer would chop Floyd down with relative ease.

Back