High level wrestler will always lose to a high level boxer. If elite boxers entered they dominate

They tried that already/
ufc118_toney_couture-5_medium.jpg

If you put a pro boxer like Mayweather against a high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler (notice you don't name one) under what rules? Under wrestling rules? Wrestler wins. Under Boxing rules? Boxer wins. Under MMA unified rules? Most likely wrestler wins, we haven't been proven otherwise yet, not even close, not even remotely near by

I'm talking about MMA unified rules obviously. This is about boxers coming into the octagon.

I totally agree. James Toney is gonna destroy everybody...

Didn't read but Couture is a high level wrestler and Toney is a high level boxer. If only they could fight so we could find out.

Wrestling is a much better base for MMA. Boxing isn't just fighting with your hands, it has a completely different set of rules and equipment. Between that, the smaller gloves, the threat of takedowns, the threats of kicks, and all the skill of high level boxer is completely mitigated.

You bring a high level boxer in against a high level wrestler and it'll look like Couture/Toney 9/10 times.

This, I can't believe this even needs to be debated

I do agree. People think it's more tired 5-5 minutes round, but personally, I don't think is even comparable to 12-3 minutes rounds on the highest level.

The technique on every single punch, the footwork, reactions, speed, and overall preparation of Top boxers is way ahead of MMA guys, even if they train another 3 or 4 disciplines.

BUT I also think that they're freak athletes in MMA that could be very competitive on Boxing if they prepare properly, such as Jose Aldo, Diaz bros, MCG, JDS, Barboza, even Dominick Cruz is literally the Defensive genius in combate sports neck to neck with Mayweather IMO.

Read the full post fellas. If you think Toney was in his prime then you might be out of your sherdog prime and should retire
Randy wasn't exactly a spring chicken at the time

Where is this evidence? Olympic level boxing is amateur so isn't the same thing. Plus how do we know wrestling is one of the strongest bases? As I said there are guys in MMA that have competed at the highest levels of wrestling but none that have competed in the highest of boxing (that are not horribly out of their prime like Toney.)

You mean like Art Jimmerson? 29-5 as a pro boxer in his first MMA fight against Royce Gracie at 30 years old. Gracie is not a wrestler but his takedowns aren't as good so replace submissions with GnP but with better takedowns.

No they wouldn't. MMA makes striking Harder, not just because of the smaller gloves, but because there's the threat of takedowns, clinch and kicks. If they stay in the typical boxer stance, their legs will get chopped off. If they try to lunge at a guy, they'll get taken down or clinched. If they try to move their head from side to side, they will end up like Sandro.
5_medium.gif

If they try to hide behind their gloves, they'll probably get Ko'd by a lesser striker.

They will have one of the best striking bases for MMA though, thanks to the footwork and head movement they learn. Not to mention the punching technique.

Pro boxer at the top of his division like Mayweather vs high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler in same weight class Mayweather wins 10/10 times. We have seen the success that top wrestlers have had in UFC and MMA in general. That is because there's not enough or in fact any money in wrestling so MMA will attract guys who want to use their skills. Boxing is completely different, there is much more money at every level. Top guys that aren't huge draws can still make McGregor money. So we don't get high level stars coming here in their prime.

A lot of people think that wrestling is more effective because in general wrestling has had more success in the octagon but this is because as we know there are a lot of very high level wrestlers and no high level boxers in the UFC so there's no fair way of comparing the two. But lets face it boxing attracts much much much more elite athletes than wrestling does and has a much more global reach. We have seen a guy like Brock who was a very accomplished college wrestler come in and have a lot of success with pretty much just wrestling, athleticism and a little bit of help with BJJ and striking. If you brought in guys like Mayweather in his prime and gave him some help with takedown defense and BJJ he would be unstoppable. Same goes for any top pro boxer. Boxing is dying a slow death and MMA will continue to grow. Hopefully some day we will get to see great boxers fight in their prime in the octagon.

Agree/disagree?

Lol by this logic baseball is also a stronger base for mma than wrestling because baseball playera make more money so all the good baseball players go to the MLBA.

But honestly how many times have great strikers been made to look like shit because of the fear of the TD. Your theory is the athletism in boxing transfers over to mma better then wrestling, which is not the case.

I totally agree. James Toney is gonna destroy everybody...

Why would a pro boxer have to take a freak fight for a miniscule the amount he could make fighting another boxer? Ask yourself that. He was so far out of his prime it was dangerous.
Randy wasn't exactly a spring chicken at the time

Look at the physical condition of the two. That fight shouldn't have been allowed to happen. He also didn't have any TDD. Whereas Randy has plenty of experience in all the main martial arts.

Lol by this logic baseball is also a stronger base for mma than wrestling because baseball playera make more money so all the good baseball players go to the MLBA.

But honestly how many times have great strikers been made to look like shit because of the fear of the TD. Your theory is the athletism in boxing transfers over to mma better then wrestling, which is not the case.

Can you transfer the skills you use in baseball into MMA? That's not the same logic at all. Who are these great strikers? Any great strikers I know wouldn't ever fight in MMA because it's not worth their time. They can make 5 times the money boxing.

Read the full post fellas. If you think Toney was in his prime then you might be out of your sherdog prime and should retire

Read the post. Puked in my mouth a little bit. I wonder why those $500 show undercard boxers aren't lined up for 16/16 at the UFC? Probably because Cody Mckenzie could run through the entire top 10 boxers in his weight class, in a single night (assuming he could have a beer between fights), under unified MMA rules.

The answer to this question is simple.
Watch the early days of the UFC...any fighter trained in a specific discipline will try an keep the fight at that range. Unfortunately for the strikers, they have no way of stopping a takedown and once they are there, it's over.

You mean like Art Jimmerson? 29-5 as a pro boxer in his first MMA fight against Royce Gracie at 30 years old. Gracie is not a wrestler but his takedowns aren't as good so replace submissions with GnP but with better takedowns.

I'm talking about the top guys here. Although that is a much much better example than Couture even though it's not a wrestler so I will give you that. I believe that GGG for example would wreck any wrestler. Give that wrestler some striking and bjj, give GGG some tdd and bjj and he KOs the wrestler. People argue about the takedown but wrestlers have to worry about getting KOd too.

Prime or no prime. Toney gets dominated like this from a wrestler that has half the skills of Randy

Well, we saw what happened to James Toney. Now, I'm in the camp that the UFC were assholes to put him in as his first fight against an all time great who's strength was a boxer's weakness, but it does illustrate what happens to pro boxers without proper grappling training. Same thing happens to boxers who don't know BJJ.

Back