High level wrestler will always lose to a high level boxer. If elite boxers entered they dominate

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dublin, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

Pro boxer at the top of his division like Mayweather vs high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler in same weight class Mayweather wins 10/10 times. We have seen the success that top wrestlers have had in UFC and MMA in general. That is because there's not enough or in fact any money in wrestling so MMA will attract guys who want to use their skills. Boxing is completely different, there is much more money at every level. Top guys that aren't huge draws can still make McGregor money. So we don't get high level stars coming here in their prime.

A lot of people think that wrestling is more effective because in general wrestling has had more success in the octagon but this is because as we know there are a lot of very high level wrestlers and no high level boxers in the UFC so there's no fair way of comparing the two. But lets face it boxing attracts much much much more elite athletes than wrestling does and has a much more global reach. We have seen a guy like Brock who was a very accomplished college wrestler come in and have a lot of success with pretty much just wrestling, athleticism and a little bit of help with BJJ and striking. If you brought in guys like Mayweather in his prime and gave him some help with takedown defense and BJJ he would be unstoppable. Same goes for any top pro boxer. Boxing is dying a slow death and MMA will continue to grow. Hopefully some day we will get to see great boxers fight in their prime in the octagon.

Agree/disagree?

Corleone187 likes this.
  2. SirKratos

SirKratos Silver Belt

Oh god not this shit again

A.S. Deep, tdavis925, Texas and 12 others like this.
  3. KreamPuff

KreamPuff Blue Belt

Disagree, you start bringing in boxers, teaching them takedown and sub defense they're basically training MMA and are no longer "Pure" boxers.

4. NoBiasJustMMA

NoBiasJustMMA Steel Belt

You seem to think more money = better fighter, boxing and MMA are completely different, for MMA Wrestling is one of the strongest bases, boxing is not. There is far more evidence that wrestling>boxing as a lone skill than the other way around in MMA.

Put the same division Olympic level wrestler against the same Olympic level boxer in a MMA match and I think the wrestler takes the boxer down and whoops his ass way more often than not.

5. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

Obviously they wont be going in pure boxer. There are no pure wrestlers in the UFC either they would get subbed after every takedown. But I'm talking about guys there are like Brock who are great at one thing have just about good enough skills at the rest.

6. TheOtherGuy

TheOtherGuy Blue Belt

Strongly disagree. Are familiar with what is called a takedown? Or ground-n-pound? High level boxers aren't either!

7. dittohead84

dittohead84 Silver Belt

Shite in the bucket!

Your head is all swelled and innocent!

Ya dirty good for nothin rat poison bastard ya!

THRP45 and Dublin like this.
  8. HughPhug

HughPhug Plug Tunin'

If you put a pro boxer like Mayweather against a high level olympic gold medal winning wrestler (notice you don't name one) under what rules? Under wrestling rules? Wrestler wins. Under Boxing rules? Boxer wins. Under MMA unified rules? Most likely wrestler wins, we haven't been proven otherwise yet, not even close, not even remotely near by

Fincher7 likes this.
  9. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

Where is this evidence? Olympic level boxing is amateur so isn't the same thing. Plus how do we know wrestling is one of the strongest bases? As I said there are guys in MMA that have competed at the highest levels of wrestling but none that have competed in the highest of boxing (that are not horribly out of their prime like Toney.)

10. Soul On Ice

Soul On Ice Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

11. MMASpeculator

MMASpeculator Purple Belt

Wrestling is a much better base for MMA. Boxing isn't just fighting with your hands, it has a completely different set of rules and equipment. Between that, the smaller gloves, the threat of takedowns, the threats of kicks, and all the skill of high level boxer is completely mitigated.

You bring a high level boxer in against a high level wrestler and it'll look like Couture/Toney 9/10 times.

Ever Watchful and NoBiasJustMMA like this.
  12. MayhemMonkey

MayhemMonkey Is it just me, or is it getting crazier out there?

13. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

A person who's only trained wrestling would beat a person who's only trained boxing in a "fight". The boxer has literally a few seconds to try to land a KO blow before the wrestler dumps him on his back. From there it's easy to pound someone out even if you never trained ground n pound.

SuperiorHands and NoBiasJustMMA like this.
  14. UltimateMoving

UltimateMoving Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Tell that to Woodly

15. fatlipjesus

fatlipjesus Banned Banned

How is that different than a wrestler learning some standup?

BigNuggetIce likes this.
  16. Dublin

Dublin Dont fear me

I was drinkin with you in navan. NAVAN. I showed you the height of respect boy

17. camelfarmer1

camelfarmer1 Green Belt

You're a complete idiot.

18. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Silver Belt

19. Mamou

Mamou Brown Belt

Randy Couture says otherwise

Haj01, Big L, fortheo and 1 other person like this.
  20. kpt018

kpt018 Gold Belt

Well, we saw what happened to James Toney. Now, I'm in the camp that the UFC were assholes to put him in as his first fight against an all time great who's strength was a boxer's weakness, but it does illustrate what happens to pro boxers without proper grappling training. Same thing happens to boxers who don't know BJJ.

Big L, 105 and youngsteinel like this.