High Kicks

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Kennethguye, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

Hello, I'm able to efficiently perform kicks to the body. My issue is when performing kicks to the head. (I'm able to) but I get a uncomfortable pull and pain in my groin area. Ive been dealing with this problem for quite a while. My question is what specific exercises/stretches would help this problem? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. Connoisseur

Connoisseur Purple Belt

Well, first off, not to be nitpicky, but how exactly can you execute leg kicks to the body? A leg (or, more correctly, Low) kick = a kick to the leg.

Anyways. When you wake up in the morning, and after your workout, go through a range of stretches (optimally, you should stretch your whole body). Do static stretching on all major muscle groups in your body, (quads, gluts, groin muscles*, hamstrings, calves, abs, obliques, pecks, shoulders, back, forearms, neck, etc). If you don't know any stretches, i'd recommend doing some cursory google searches. You should be able to find some kickboxing/ grappling/ MMA specific stretches that will help to.

Then, before you train, at the beginning of your workout, warm up and run through a range of dynamic stretches to make yourself more limber and get the circulation going.

Aside from that, just practice your kicks on the heavy bag. Building up your endurance & strength for kicking is best done by heavy, intense repetition, so don't be afraid to stay late and just work your kicks.

3. SongXIII

SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

Short answer: Stretch + Practice. :cool:

4. PeterPain

PeterPain Brown Belt

Do full splits.

5. Vil7

Vil7 Silver Belt

Don't worry about the high kicks for now keep focusing on improving the body + leg kicks and keep stretching. You'll get there eventually with the high kick and if you have good body and leg kicks (particularly the leg kicks) they will be a formidable weapon in your arsenal.

6. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

^This

7. mjw1

mjw1 Blue Belt

Stretch and do both the still stretches and the moving ones like when you swing your straight leg to the front or side etc. Stretch more or perhaps high kicks just aren't for you but I'd stretch a bit and try it first.

8. ssullivan80

ssullivan80 see....what had happened was

Great advice. Add to it, a long lengthy stretch at the end of a workout also is extremely beneficial as you can really take full advantage of your maximum range of motion when your at the end of a workout. Stretching at the end of my workout i believe has also help save me from regular injury and helped my recovery. It is tough to discipline yourself to do it , but I think it is an ideal time to really get the most out of a good long stretching routine.

9. Kennethguye

Kennethguye Yellow Belt

thanks great advice

10. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Reminds me of the several similar topics about head kicks already posted where Phanatic posts the picture of himself stretching his legs, as if doing the splits standing up, in a very...odd...looking way.

11. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt