"Hi i am looking for a game called battletoads"

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by SolidIce, Jan 23, 2015.

1. in the

in the Steel Belt

No one I knew solved it without Nintendo Power.

2. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Koji is just better than all of us. We need to accept that.

3. in the

in the Steel Belt

Didn't you have to kneel for like 7 seconds?

I'm going to have to watch a playthrough now.

4. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

At least 4 people I knew other than me solved it without Nintendo power. Pray by the lake while holding a blue Crystal is a simple clue. After that, it did not really matter because word was out on how to do it in my town. Strange as that sounds. Word of mouth was really how tips and tricks got passed along back then.

5. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

Tons of people solved it without Nintendo power.

6. markulous

markulous Black Belt

Yeah and I distinctly remember it not working all the time either.

And in response to the other poster that said it was well known by word of mouth... in that case all it took was one guy to figure it out and everyone to parrot it. Not really indicative of how easy it was to figure out if it's just told to you by a buddy. No different than youtubing it.

7. Da_Rev_Ong

Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

Except, that wasn't the clue. This is the clue that was given:

"TO REPLENISH EARTH ,KNEEL BY THE LAKE WITH THE BLUE CRYSTAL." What the hell does that mean?

On top of that, you found it in an area that was at a completely removed from the lake, and you could easily skip the message without even reading it. Why you could do that, but you couldn't skip the "WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE." message, was just the result of terri-bad localization. I'm actually partial to Castlevania II as one of my favorite Castlevania games on the NES, but the clues sucked.

8. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

it worked fine. Took about 3-4 seconds. Like i said, knew 4 other people who figured it out just fine. It was not impossible like some here say

Did it in fact say kneel? Then it just flat out told you what to do. Not a cryptic clue at all.

9. Count Zero

Count Zero Twisting Nether

the memories

the feels

oh gawd

10. markulous

markulous Black Belt

Wasn't there the tornado one too? You had to kneel at a dead end for a tornado to take to to the other area?

11. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

That one I did not figure out. I skipped it by taking the hard jump in the cemetery.

My friend figured that one out.

12. Da_Rev_Ong

Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

Problem with the clue s this: Do you remember how many bodies of water are in that game? You probably spent enough time dying by falling into them, but in case you can't remember there are a lot of them. One of the things that would have helped would have been an in-game map, but it wasn't there...

At least not in the North American release. The Japanese version of the game had one:

[​IMG]

But the map never made it over when they localized the game. Again, it was a product of bad localization.

But that wasn't the only area that people got stuck. The other are was usually the other spot to kneel with a crystal by a cliff. You even admit you got stuck on that one:

A big problem with that clue was that it read like this:

"WAIT FOR A SOUL WITH A RED CRYSTAL ON DEBORAH CLIFF."

The problem is that the translator read "kaze" as "soul" instead of "wind/breeze" since they share similar roots. Even if you put the red crystal and the cliff clues together, there is nothing indicating that you should be kneeling to activate anything at all.

Look, my big point isn't that "Castlevania 2 sux..." I never said anything to that effect. Neither am I saying that the game was impossible to beat. I am very much on the record stating that a grand deal of the difficulty of the game didn't result from game play or horrible mechanics. A large deal of it came from a bad localization job (which includes the translation, the omission of the in-game map, and a battery back-up save, amongst other things) that made things unnecessarily confusing.

If you want to see what Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest can be like with all the bells and whistles, check out the rom patch that bisqwit put together (here). Not only does he re-translate all teh dialog text, but he restores a lot of the game features that didn't make its way to North America. The game experience is completely different.

13. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

Bud, there was only one lake where you could not walk any further on the map and seemed to be a dead end. The entirety of the screen was a lake. It was not rocket science to kneel there.
    I don't know why you would need a map for this game. The overworld of Simon's quest is tiny and it was easy to know where you were. In fact, the Great Palace alone in Zelda 2 is bigger than the entire Simon's quest overworld.

That's the thing. I did not get stuck. I just did not figure it out because there was no need. There is an easy way to completely circumvent the need to use the red crystal by the cliff. Camilla cemetery as a jump at the end that is quite easy, and takes you to the same area.

I can't say for certain I would or would not have figured it out, but my friend figured it out when he found the second clue to the cliff. But I since I accidentally found a loophole to the cliff and was able to keep playing and exploring new areas, I just kept playing.

There were two clues. The other was a woman in town telling you "Hit Deborah Cliff with your head to make a hole."

Only so many ways to take that. Kneeling is not the first that comes to mind(Jumping, swinging weapons, etc), but eventually you try everything.

That was the one that clued my friend in, when combined with the first. Granted, he tried it at the wrong cliff first.

It i kind of a good thing the game had very hard clues to figure out because it remains one of the easiest Nintendo games of all time. It only took a few months to figure out, as opposed to the YEARS the Original Zelda game took.

14. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

Props to you guys for finishing Castlevania 2. I was like 6, maybe, when I played that and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what to do. I may have actually been older and I remember very slowly fumbling my way through that game until I got so frustrated with the day/night swap I just threw in the towel.

15. RJ43

RJ43 The Baddy

One of the hardest games to me was Legacy of the Wizard. I never knew WTF I was doing in that game and they tease you by showing you the bad ass dragon in the beginning.

My Grandfather was incredibly influential in my life, but I was never more impressed with him than when he actually finished that game. I thought he could walk on water after that.

16. in the

in the Steel Belt

The tornado is what I meant with my original post. I highly doubt 99.9% of people who played the game actually figured that one out. I'm skeptical of anyone claiming such.

17. Halifax

Halifax Brown Belt

Ok. The tornado makes waaaaay more sense as it was hard to figure out. Fortunately, it was easy to beat the game without figuring that out just taking the alternate route to the same place.

But yes, my friend did figure it out. The clues made it possible. One clue tells you to meet there with a red crystal, the other clue tells you to headbutt the cliff. Eventually, you do everything. It did not take nearly as long as finding some Zelda dungeons let me tell you that

Saying the kneeling by the lake with a blue Crystal was impossible to figure out made no sense to me since they literally tell you to do it.

18. SuperLuigi

SuperLuigi Black Belt

The question is, will it be a 2D tribute to the older games or a 3D game with a whole new style?

19. TheWalkinDude

TheWalkinDude Endeavor to Persevere Platinum Member

Thanks TS, now I'm due for a turbo tunnel night terror.

20. Zezima

Zezima Brown Belt

Holy shit there's a video on YouTube of someone speed running the game and not taking one single damage, and he got 999999 score