"Hi i am looking for a game called battletoads"

Discussion in 'The Arcade' started by SolidIce, Jan 23, 2015.

1. SolidIce

SolidIce Purple Belt

Microsoft bringing back battletoads?

Should we start calling gamestop again for this epic game?

[Yt]cvEThh1RMlQ[/MEDIA]

Edit: meant to post in Vg forum

2. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

Yay! They're bringing back one of my favorite games of my childhood!!!...

...to butcher it.

3. MSK1010

MSK1010 Far too Young and Clever

Only one ive ever played was battletoads and double dragons. I loved that game though.

4. Garnett Silk

Garnett Silk "I chose violence" - Cersei Lannister

Agreed Battletoads was the ish

5. Hyperglide

Hyperglide Enrolled at Synth-a-holics Anonymous

Best. Pause Music. Ever.

6. Crimson Fury

Crimson Fury Elijah Modnar

Lol, probably.

Battletoads was great. The other ones were WAY too easy though.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

Only played the 1st one, and it was a fine example of the extreme difficulty of some console games of that generation.

8. JohnSAFTAHess

JohnSAFTAHess Brown Belt

One of my favorite games of all time. I hope if they do reboot it they keep it simple, have it resemble the original as much as possible.. and make it hard as fuck.

I still have never beaten it without cheating. I could fucking never get passed one part of a hoverbike stage.

9. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Battletoads is literally the hardest game I've ever played. It's not fair hard either. Bad programming, cheap deaths, having to remember patterns and do them without error, etc.

As I kid I loved it but could never make it past the speeder level. It wasn't until last year that I decided to play and beat it (albeit with save states) and was shocked to find that the speeder level was tame compared to what lied ahead.

I'm sure there's some psycho out there that can play it from start to end without dying but for everyone else in the world, I doubt anyone sees past the speeder level. Why as a game developer would you want to make your game so difficult that most people don't even get to see most of the levels? Hard is one thing, impossible is another.

Mega Man 1 is hard. Battletoads is a fisting.

10. WhiskeyPunch

WhiskeyPunch Brown Belt

I downloaded mega man 1 a while back on psn. Damn, I cannot believe I beat that game when i was young. Ridiculously difficult.

11. WhiskeyPunch

WhiskeyPunch Brown Belt

I almost had an anxiety attack trying to remember how I did it...

12. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Completely agree, I can make to like level six or so but the fact that there's a game over means I'll probably never beat it. I've come to accept that.

13. The Clamburglar

The Clamburglar Burglin' is my game.

The difficulty level of the NES Battletoads went full retard. Not to mention that Co-op is actually broken.

I'll probably be in the minority but I think the game was poorly designed. I think most games back then were poorly designed, in fact. I remember saying stuff like that when I was like 8-9 years old in the 80s.

So many games from back then were ridiculously hard. When I was a kid in those days, I barely finished any games. I would just go outside instead. It was probably for the best, now that I think about it.

It's odd, because it wasn't just that the games were hard, because these days (in my 30s) I play games like Dark Souls, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Meat Boy, Volgarr, Dead Rising, etc. that are considered very difficult with little to no problems, but back then I felt like it wasn't me, that it was poor design or a lack of precision in the controller.

Battletoads
    Ninja Gaiden
    Cobra Triangle
    The Immortal
    TMNT
    Castlevania

^^^I had all of these games, and never came close to finishing them. I would play for 20 minutes or so, die a bunch of times, and then go "what the hell am I doing this for?" and do something else. lol

Battletoads was definitely not anywhere close to a favorite from my childhood.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  14. The Clamburglar

The Clamburglar Burglin' is my game.

Glad I am not the only one.

15. Senzo Tanaka

Senzo Tanaka Silver Belt

Yeah, a lot of NES games were plagued by bad programming which made them challenging. To be fair though, it was new ground back then and developers were still learning.

Ninja Gaiden 1 is also brutally hard and while the controls are tight, it still has the programming issue of respawning enemies which makes it harder than it needs to be. Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 removed the respawning and those are just really hard games for the right reason. Castlevania 1 and 3 are others which are hard but not unfair.

Battletoads had good graphics and was memorable with all of the shapes they could morph into but the game was a programming mess.

16. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Fuck the hoverbike....

17. bandicoot

bandicoot Red Belt

Well said. Loved the art design, the music, the character models, but I'll be goddamned if I didn't probably destroy my controller trying to get past the speeder level.

Fuck. That. Level.

18. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

I really don't even have that much trouble with the speeder level. I think the next stages are far more annoying.

19. Garnett Silk

Garnett Silk "I chose violence" - Cersei Lannister

lol limited # of lives, no continues when you died you had to start all the way from scratch if you died 3x. Reminds me of Eternal Champions where you only had one chance to beat the boss. If you didnt you had to start all the way over again

20. in the

in the Steel Belt