1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Hey guys! ! !

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by will kwon, Jul 8, 2010.

1. will kwon

will kwon Banned Banned

Recently I've been interested in supplementing my diet with more alkaline foods. However, I can't justify spending $50 a month on light force greens and another $50 on a multivitamin. I was wondering would light force greens be an acceptable replacement for a multi?

2. XMoker

XMoker Blue Belt

That's an expensive multi and why do you want to eat more alkaline foods?

To answer your question though, no I do not think that powder contains comparable quantities of comparable vitamins/minerals as a typical multi does. The website just lists "proprietary blend of x, y, z..." there's not any Nutritional Data I could easily find, which also makes me skeptical. I hate to bash on an SRN advertiser like that.

3. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

*crosses fingers and hopes this doesn't turn into another paleo thread*

4. will kwon

will kwon Banned Banned

. . . gee thanks for making retarded jokes instead of trying to help me . . .

Also I just wanted more alkaline foods so I can have more energy (increase cardio).

5. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

You want help? Eat more spinach. You don't need a $50/month vegetable supplement. I am sure you can find a cheaper multivitamin, too.

6. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

I don't believe this at all actually. I think your stomach and other organs do a fine job of maintaining a proper pH balance in your digestive system and elsewhere. Any deviation is going to be corrected, or if your body can't self-correct you might have a bigger problem on hand than what spinach can handle. I think that any benefit that come from following a "alkaline" diet is more a result of eating more veggies and less refined foods. Same as the "paleo" diet or whatever - it's not the name or the bro-science behind it, it's the content of the diet - which is usually more fresh fruits and veggies and less sugars and other refined food.

7. numberthirtytwo

numberthirtytwo Orange Belt

what? acid/base balance has nothing to do with the paleo diet. it's biology. jesus christ you guys are overly sensitive - anything that the paleo diet supports, you immediately have to be against. Berardi bought into it: John Berardi - Covering Nutritional Bases

As for the original post: you don't need to get a supplement. Just eat more vegetables/fruit.

8. Endo

Endo o hai!

Get some sort of multivitamin from the grocery story; Men's one a day is fine. Then eat your fucking veggies and you'll be fine.

Berardi is an idiot...

9. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid In search for the Ultimate cup of Coffee

Looks like you would benefit with his help. You have balls calling him an idiot when your diet log sucks balls.

11. Endo

Endo o hai!

How I eat and my knowledge of nutrition do not coincide. From the looks of things currently, sure, I could see how you'd assume that.

12. will kwon

will kwon Banned Banned

just stfu and admit youre fucking wrong asshole berardi>you

13. Gary Peters

Gary Peters Purple Belt Professional Fighter

I can tell you will be around for a long time.

14. numberthirtytwo

(double post)

15. numberthirtytwo

So what? The paleo diet also recommends eating vegetables. Does that mean that anyone who tries to eat more vegetables needs to be ridiculed for trying to live like a caveman? Or does it just mean that some people want to try to improve their diet using ideas that have good reasoning and science behind them?

16. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

No, it doesn't. I made a joke about this turning into a paleo thread, then you started talking about being too sensitive and being against anything paleo and that alkaline/acid had nothing to do with paleo. I just posted that link because paleo and A/A definitely are related. I never said anything about paleo being a bad diet, either. Nor did I say anything relating to ridiculing people who eat vegetables.

17. Metsudragon**

Metsudragon** Blue Belt

[​IMG]

good day, sir.

18. numberthirtytwo

Alright then. Guess that comment just pushed me over after I skimmed through the last like 10 threads that all devolved into people complaining about how the paleo diet is dumb

19. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

first of all, there are no clearly defined "paleo" or "alkaline" diets, it depends on the author or person selling something attached to those concepts. secondly, looking at all the approaches which claim to be "paleo" or "alkaline" there are far more similarities than difference. Both groups say eat lots of green leafy veg, minimize or eliminate grains, minimize or eliminate dairy, minimize beans, etc.

I have no idea why you just flipped out like you did. Acid/base balance is not scientific at all, it's bro-science. Just because a famous author says something about it, doesn't make it a fact. It could just be that he was packaging information under a label - in this case "acid/base" nutrition. It doesn't matter what something is labelled, what matters is what's covered by the diet. Paleo and alkaline cover pretty much the same shit. They're just labels on "eat healthy".

Most people's Mom's diet advice is the same as an nutrition guru's: eat veggies, dont eat like shit.

20. dinpappa

dinpappa Purple Belt

How about supplementing with Avocados, sweet potatos, spinach and broccoli at decent sides for your meals? Alongside the usual paprika, onion etc. They are really dense in nutritional value