Hey guys, come check out this totally awesome video...=]

ItsArun

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
What's up guys, I just wanted to share a video my instructors did for the internet. Sorta playing with the idea of putting techniques online for students (like ME!) to go over during down time.

This one is just the basic armbar from closed guard (sorry, no flying gobomolohomerplatas :rolleyes:). But before you leave telling yourself you're the mastah of teh armbah, you might catch a detail or two. One of the details that help'd my own armbar from guard was relating it to the bite of the triangle; the initial bite (getting the leg up under their armpit and 'biting it' over your opponent's head) makes a world of difference. I used to swing my leg way over their head without ever realizing that pushing their head into my knee (thus reducing the space significantly & maintaining the overall tightness) is WAY more efficient. Kicking your feet to the ground is just the cherry on top. Totally changed my closed-guard armbar SRSLY .

A huge theme @ the academy is basics, but refined to a higher level of precision. There's an infinite amount of detail to each "basic" technique (even shrimping is something I re-learn every other month). It's kind of like Zeno's infinite series paradox; every sequence of movements to a technique can be broken down even further (and further, and further)...which leads to a seemingly endless degree of detail to even the shortest of movements...BLAH! :eek:

So YEAH, tell us what you think//share your own school's technique video(s)//share your own take on the "basics" issue//post something totally random

Last edited:
Awesome.

I love the slow, very detail orriented review of the armbar.

That was great. Tim is a guy who will be one everyone's rader very soon. He did awesome at Pan Ams.

btw Arun, is Wander still stuck in Brazil? Any news?

That was a very articulate explanation of the armbar. Seems like a very knowledgeable instructor. Well done.

That was a really nice explanation. I remember things much better when I understand why I'm doing each part, something this video explains in great detail.

Nice. Very detailed. I saw Tim at the California Classic in 2007 armbar everyone from closed guard in his division. Seems like he has very sound basics. Thanks...

Awesome.

I love the slow, very detail oriented review of the armbar.

That was great. Tim is a guy who will be one everyone's rader very soon. He did awesome at Pan Ams.

btw Arun, is Wander still stuck in Brazil? Any news?

Thanks Mike! You're the man. Robot BJJ is not directly under Wander Braga anymore, we're now apart of Lotus Club (Giva Santana by way of S

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guys!

Here's another detailed video of Tim showing the cross-choke from mount:

The biggest emphasis here is on control (though isnt that emphasized everywhere?); You can't sacrifice your control at any step of the process. Like Tim said, "Carefully move from one step to the next, maintaining control rather than trying to rush the submission."

Personally, the cross-choke for me is a lot like the shrimp. It's something that I feel like I re-learn every so often. Whenever I feel like I'm getting the hang of it, Tim comes by and shows me a few small details that make me feel like a white belt again. It just goes back to my original post; it's a never ending, yet worthwhile process. So much so that, in fact, one of my biggest goals in jiu jitsu is to master this single submission (cross choke). I feel like if I could have only 1 submission, this would be it. Lately my training has been more oriented around guard passing and maintaining top positions, but whenever I put my attention on submissions, I always think "cross choke".

Honestly, there is no greater satisfaction on the mat than to pass the guard, secure side control, transition to mount and lock up a cross choke. It's just perfection.

That is the best explanation I have ever seen for the armbar from guard. 5 things I learned fro that video that I have been doing wrong. Great stuff for sure.

If they do start putting more videos online keep us updated, I would love to check them out.

Gonna echo everyone here and say very nice details and clear explanation. I bookmarked them even if my armbar was already pretty close to what he teach.

I also agree with you even if for now cross choke isnt really my most high percentage sub(not even close), it bring me very good satisfaction to get to mount then get the crosschoke on anyone.

Awesome videos! Keep em coming!

Yeah, these are great. My school is very action oriented. We juggle a few moves for weeks, with more focus on conditioning than technique. This approach is slightly frustrating because I can condition on my own time, but I can't have someone show me how and what to do when it comes to technique.

Thanks again. Tell your instructors these are invaluable tools to guys like me in small towns with limited school options!

Back