1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Hey, Flex is an OK mag...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by CrazyAZNRedneck, Jul 6, 2005.

1. CrazyAZNRedneck

CrazyAZNRedneck Orange Belt

I think the moderator told me to fuck off...

Not in so many words, but said that Flex is a bad magazine. I disagree, you just have to know what BS to listen to and what not to.

1. All magazines are based mostly on nonscientific material presented in a scientific form, therefore, misleading. Flex is the best of magazines that I have read (Ironman, M&F, Men's Health, Musc Dev...) thus far, but that doesn't say much. Don't try to get information on exercise science from it.

2. Get exercise science from exercise scientists. I took the CPT training course from NASM, it's pretty good at sports specific training. Advanced Cert. if you want to go all out.

3. Things this magazine does right: information for bodybuilders. Any BB is SOL if they don't read ONE of these magazines. They give you tips on what judges are looking for and who's winning.

4. Supplements: I'm also a nutrition major. Guess what all the FDA and USDA is saying about supplements, that they all suck and don't take them. The CPT course devoted to supps is pretty weak, too. Not much info on these other than heresay, Flez does this well.

5. Things that Bodybuilders, Strength Compititors, and other Atheletes do that you should try. Don't build your routine around any of them, but there are different exercises that I haven't seen in other books, many of which don't violate the rules of good form (tight core, straight spine, etc.) and these would be good ones to try. Such as the Reverse Grip Military Press Or the "Ah-Nold" Press, things I would not have thought of otherwise.

6. In conclusion, if you still don't agree with me: (shriechs in girlish tone) I WIN!!!

2. yomon

yomon Green Belt

your body and your own experiences are by far the best teachers. for all you know advise you get from an article could be exactly opposite of what you need to be doing.

also nutrition is simple and is needlessly overcomplicated by the suplement industry.

eat enough, eat the basics, eat fairly clean. and your done. most supplements i have taken have done nothing but make me lose fat.

3. Urban

Urban Savage Mystic

no. it's not. Want to know about exercise science? check out the reading list. Bompa, Siff, and a bunch of russians that never wrote for a BBer mag in their life. second, this is not a bodybuilding forum. For all purposes in this forum, flex is a pretty fucking useless mag. You'd be better off spending time on www.t-mag.com and reading their dan john articles. I said flex sucks, because it does. I'll buy a copy tomorrow and critique it more thoroughly to let you know in detail how much it severed, syphlitic, donkey phallus this shitpaper-in-magazine-form publication guzzles down on a monthly basis.

and as for nutrition, here I'll sum up nutrition and supplements - eat unprocessed meat (fish, chicken, eggs, and limited red meat), veggies, dairy, fruit, and nuts. keep your carbs colorful (no whites except oatmeal). Supplement with whey and creatine. Done. I don't need flex magazine and 8 page special advertisements disguised as articles to tell me how to do that.

Lastly, IF you were a top level bodybuilder, would you give away all your secrets? would you want every schmuck and your competition to know how you train? and do you think that you could even begin to apply their routines even if they were legit? no. cause you are not ready. keep it simple.

4. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

In terms of training material, Flex isn't worth the paper that it's printed on. Even so, I'll admit that every so often, I'll flick through the pics while waiting in line at 7-11.

5. rEmY

rEmY Needs to eat more

holy crap entropy, long time no see. welcome back.

6. CarnalSalvation

CarnalSalvation Trying to make a Milankey

Remy, help me make him powerlift (Entropy).

7. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

80 hour work week + unhappy wife + 3 year old son + training + personal life combine to leave very little time to hit the forums.

I'll do what I can to say hello every so often however...

8. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

HAHAHAHA....

9. nudge119

nudge119 Green Belt

Welcome back bro - how has the training been going?

10. NEwrestler

NEwrestler Red Belt

flex is garbage,youll get better knowledge in one back issue of powerliftingusa then in those mags

11. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Well, to be honest, the demands of a 120 lb wife who thinks she can kick actually kick my ass coupled with the egos of various engineering managers along with the demands and deadlines imposed by my new job, all combine for pretty shitty training resulting in a torn hamstring, torn bicep and ulnar nerve entrapment in my left elbow, which has robbed me of my grip in my left hand...Needless to say, I

12. SwiftMcvay

SwiftMcvay Brown Belt

Haha. I love those 8 page special advertisements, like the nitro-tech and cell-tech ones that have Jay Cutler on there. Since we all know he got freakishly huge like that by using muscletech products. :wink:

13. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

one thing for sure: entropy gives better traininginfos than felx

welcome back

14. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Thanks bro...

15. Jarfi

Jarfi The Original

1. Correct. the best poo is still merely poo.
    2. Exercise scientists does NOT equal PTs/PTcourses. Exercise scientists equals actively researching scientists with minimum of PhD in sports medicine or MD specializing in the same.
    3. This is NOT a BB forum. Aesthetics, size for itself and judges opinions does not concern us.
    4. Flex has ads. Ads are NOT there for your information, they're there for your money...
    5. Finding new and obscure exercises isn't BBmags real forte, now is it? Look at the web, ask in here. Plenty of tips and experience to go around in here.
    6. Scream all you want :icon_twis

16. Todd Gack

Todd Gack Dutch

Even if Flex was a good magazine, the covers are gay just like all the other BBing mags.

17. lucid

lucid FTW-champ!

the issue i ahve with flex is that the routines out lined a lot fo time is the routine that the BBer's use.. which appelas to the newb who jsut got a gym pass and is all fired up for it. however most routines would KILL the guys who do them. the average routine is insane even for where i'm at now. they tend to be 2 hour work outs that hit your msucles at every angle possible which is fine if you dont have a job and a had enough gear to help you recover for your 5 day work out week.

they have like 8-10 different ways to work your bicept in one session 3 sets of each! when you slap that on top of a chest work out... come on!

menshealth is hated by a lot fo people, but it's safer then then the crazy work out that flex provides.

18. rEmY

rEmY Needs to eat more

it should be noted that mens health, while a shit mag, has had articles from louie simmons and dave tate recently.

19. joe broadway

joe broadway Unbeatable

i used to think flex was good before i started learning more about strength training, ever since then i cannot stand to read the bull shit that the magazine is loaded with. who the fuck has the time to wade through pages and pages of shit to find one golden nugget of shit that could have been found without getting dirty

20. BJJ

BJJ Orange Belt

There's dvds of plenty of top bbers training now. Ronnie's Unbelieveable is exactly how he trained for the Mr. O. But i agree, they won't reveal all their diet 'secrets' and well, their stacks and how they are using it.

I don't really like FLEX, but i do like M&D. I think it's a pretty good magazine.