Hey bros, how do I start a flower garden?

Start off by learning your hardiness zone. That will let you know what trees, shrubs and perennials you can plant.
How much sun does you flower bed get per day?
What is the soil acidity? I'd doubt you'd know this. But in general woodlands tend to be acidic. Near the foundation of your house is basic.

The best soil amendment is organic material such as peat moss.

I've been flower gardening for 20 plus years.

the only way you can save your man card TS is if this "garden" is a way to hide where you buried a body.

Yes I know google exists.. now that we've got that out of the way... I recently purchased a home, my first. And there is this terrible collection of three bushes/plant thingies that I've let die. I know I can use a water hose to create the border.m but what next? Can I just buy anysoil? What do I need? What is easy to keep but looks nice? What happens to the flowers in the winter? I'm in OKC by the way!

Well you'll need to get some horse shit

Laugh about gardening being unmanly all you'd like. But landscaping (if you'd prefer that term) has the highest rate of return out of any improvement you can make to your home. In general you will see up to 200% of what you put into landscape as the return when you sell your home. Additionally working in your yard is some of the toughest work outs you'll ever have. I garden two stories up. Soil comes in 40 lb bags. Through two over your shoulder and walk up the stairs. lather rinse repeat.

Laugh about gardening being unmanly all you'd like. But landscaping (if you'd prefer that term) has the highest rate of return out of any improvement you can make to your home. In general you will see up to 200% of what you put into landscape as the return when you sell your home. Additionally working in your yard is some of the toughest work outs you'll ever have. I garden two stories up. Soil comes in 40 lb bags. Through two over your shoulder and walk up the stairs. lather rinse repeat.

I thought renovating and adding onto your house, is a higher rate of return.

I'll see your bags of soil and raise you; Carrying bags of cement and rebar. doing form work, hand mixing the cement. shoveling it wet cement into the forms before it dries. using power tools. Carrying and installing ceramic tile and mortar, carpentry hell by the time you get to plumbing and electrical you think those are a "break".

I will say one of the toughest things I've had to do around the house was replacing sprinkler lines that had been broken by tree roots growing around them right by the fence. Digging and cutting the roots with hand tools and only limited use of an axe so most of it by hatchet was tiring.

homerenovate2.png

this was based off some real estate sources. (could use better supporting info)
return.png

lol. oh ITS WOMENS WORK!!!!!

come at me Link.

homerenovate2.png

this was based off some real estate sources. (could use better supporting info)
return.png

the problem with that figures is that the only cost considered is the initial installation/renovation cost. They don't take annual maintenance costs into account fertilizing, planting new plants, weed control and so on. Additionally, in many cases the landscaping is a DYS project so there isn't a labor cost associated with the initial investment let alone in maintenance.

When I bought my place I had two avocado trees, an orange tree and a lemon tree. Thanks to the Citrus Canker and a hurricane I'm down to one avocado tree. That is another thing to consider, impact by weather, poor care, animals easily destroying all your hard work easier than any other improvement.

but seriously, planting shit is manly. i'd rather plant a tree than cook a meal. and theres nothing wrong with knowing how to cook a meal.

but seriously, planting shit is manly. i'd rather plant a tree than cook a meal. and theres nothing wrong with knowing how to cook a meal.

word. this post deserves respect.

I've posted this before. but here's some of my handiwork
DSC00067.jpg

Google: office plant nasa air quality

The right indoor plant can make a huge difference in air quality. I bought mine from Home Depot for around $8.

Yes I know google exists.. now that we've got that out of the way... I recently purchased a home, my first. And there is this terrible collection of three bushes/plant thingies that I've let die. I know I can use a water hose to create the border.m but what next? Can I just buy anysoil? What do I need? What is easy to keep but looks nice? What happens to the flowers in the winter? I'm in OKC by the way!

Plant a few of these, and let them do the rest.

jWfrITfyBqkhw.jpg

(I hope you like orange because you'll be seeing it for as long as you live within a mile of the place).

the only way you can save your man card TS is if this "garden" is a way to hide where you buried a body.

By the way, homeless teenagers make excellent fertilizer.

where's the stuff you can smoke?

I figure New York has three years until we're legal. Then a few of pots will get changed out for growing a crop. Until then you'll have to smoke the basil.

Back