Heroes & Generals : F2P WW2 FPS

Gaeric

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Heroes & Generals

Okay, I've been playing this game a little bit and I have to say it's pretty good... for being F2P (with microtransactions that can affect gameplay, sadly).

For some reason they decided to focus on two antagonistic factions: Americans & Germans. You start with a single soldier (character). As you play & gain experience you can take him down a few different leveling paths. You can stay an infantryman and gain the ability to use LMGs & light vehicles such as a jeep, you can become a pilot and fly different aircraft during the battles (not all maps have air support, though), you could wait a while and become a Recon (sniper, essentially), or you can become a driver of tanks and other armored vehicles. The limitations of each path are pretty rough, meaning you are going to want to make a different character for each path because your soldier can only belong to one path at a time and you can't swap paths during battle (but you can swap characters/soldiers).

There are a few things that set this game apart from others.

1) The persistent War campaign. Each battle won or lost matters as the war continues, your side loses or gains ground as a result. When one side wins, the map is reset and the winners get bonus prizes.

2) The "Generals" aspect, which I have yet to try, which is some sort of RTS where you command assault groups. I've not tried it, don't have much to say about it.

3) The level of immersion is something I've not found in other games. The sounds of war are *loud* and occasionally deafening to the point you literally can't hear yourself speak. Period tanks aren't always equal and you're going to want infantry support.

4) I guess 4 things isn't really a 'few', but meh. Teamwork is key to victory. It's not a game for lone wolves.

Now, some pros & cons:

Pros
1) The focus on teamwork is really a bonus as every map is objective-oriented, either you have to take them or defend them (sometimes both) and it is extremely difficult to do so alone.

2) The atmosphere is amazing. From foggy forests to war-torn cities to dangerous river crossings.

3) There's a learning curve, but not an insurmountable one. My first match had me going 2 and 8. My next battle I learned from my mistakes, moved with some allies, and went 15-3.

4) Vehicular combat is exciting and fun.

5) You can enter almost every building you come across which makes city fights very interesting.

Cons

1) It's very hard to use some of the starting vehicles. For example, the first American tank has very low visibility for the driver. If you have a machine gunner hitching a ride, they're exposed to enemy small arms fire. In addition to that you come to the inequality of vehicles. The starting American tank doesn't have a cannon, just a powerful machine gun that takes some time to spin up. It can't even kill many of the enemy tanks with heavier armor.

2) Some of the weapons cost a hell of a lot. For example, the Bazooka, the first tier of anti-tank infantry weapons, costs over 100,000 credits. That's around 25-30 games won, or around 50 games lost due to the inability of infantry to compete with heavy vehicles. Anti-tank mines can not even be unlocked until you have a certain number of armor kills.

3) The game, while ultimately not "pay 2 win", does give people that fork over their cash an initial advantage in the first couple tiers. Like the above-mentioned vehicle issue, if you just buy a heavy tank and drive that around you're going to murder everyone and everything with its cannons while they can not harm you at all.

There are more pros & cons, but really you should just give it a try. It's easy enough to queue for matches with 3-6 people, the battles are like 12 on 12 or something like that. Maybe more, I never stopped to count.

Heroes & Generals

Last edited:
Sounds like a Red Orchestra FTP MMO? Where do I sign up? Will definitely give this a go. Thanks for the heads up.

The link's at the bottom of the post. I should have probably made it clearer.

I wasn't being literal, but thanks anyway. The game has been a blast so far.

Interesting, will try soon.

Oh, word to the wise - keep your first soldier as an infantryman. That way you will ALWAYS have the option to play a fully-kitted out infantryman. Your second character can be whatever, but your first should stay infantry. I wasted nearly 50k on making my first character a Tanker and then switching back to infantry. Tanker's life was not for me, I'd have had to grind the hell out of it to get a decent tank.

Waiting for Ghost to come in and comment on this one :p

To be fair to his "OMG F2P IS TERRIBLE" standpoint on... well, everything... the microtransactions do have an adverse effect on early-tier gameplay in this game. However, a few days of playing will see you past that point even if you lose every match you play.

You can also be a subscriber and get a *minor* advantage past that point, but it's not anything terribly serious.

They are having some insane server load issues lately, they have a hell of a lot more people than they thought they were going to have trying their game.

The solution? Queues. Currently 9,368 in line to play. Holy fuck.

Any of you guys put time enough into this for a real review?

Yeah, sure.

The immersion is pretty good, the main problem is the severe, indefensible balance between the Axis & Allies. The Axis has a ridiculous advantage in Generals, which affects the Action (FPS) game. There is no TL;DR for why, so this is going to take a little bit.

There are 3 economic resources (not very economic since they are not tradable, only earnable/purchasable). Without loading it back up, I'm going to just call them Credits (which are used for purchasing equipment and repairs in the Action/FPS mode), Warbucks (which are used for purchasing Assault Teams in the Strategic Generals mode), and Gold, which is the real money thing you purchase that can be used for anything.

When you start the game as a free player you only have access to the Action/FPS mode, in which you can earn a moderate amount of Credits and miniscule amount of Warbucks. For example, I have 100+ games played and still not enough Warbucks to purchase a single Assault Team.

The overall War consists of the two parallel parts of the game : Action/FPS & Strategic Generals. A battle can only be fought when two Generals have assigned Assault Teams to a particular battle. This means that unless your side has a General that has assigned a specific Assault Team to a battle, you may not be able to join with your Pilot, Tanker, or Recon. This is extremely unbalanced as the Axis has a plethora of experienced Generals right now while the Allies have practically none. What this means is you'll have imbalanced games with one side having 200 lives, all basic unspecialized infantry, with the other side having medium and heavy tanks and upwards of 500 lives. On top of this tanks can not be harmed by infantry unless that infantry has equipped a bazooka or finds a one-shot panzerfaust. The panzerfausts are not one-hit kills, meaning you will have to coordinate with 2-3 other team members, all get in position, and all hit at relatively the same time in order to severely damage or kill the enemy armor. This just isn't feasible or possible because there will be enemy infantry around and if you switch back to your rifle to deal with them you will drop the panzerfaust. Oh, and the bazookas cost around 100k credits. That's about 20 victories, if you don't spend the money on anything else - and you will, especially if you use grenades.

Oh, and if you get lucky and a General has supplied your side with Medium and Heavy tanks... unless someone on your team actually has them, because matchmaking does not necessarily fill the slots with people that have those things, not only will you still lose but the generous General has to pay through the nose to get his Assault Teams healed/repaired.

It's a damned shame. They would be much, much better off separating the two game modes because it simply is not working the way it is now. Balanced matches are incredibly fun and immersive (I have never heard audio like this before, really deafening booms and echoing gunfire) and one of the better multiplayer FPS I've played. Unfortunately it's become very hard to find balanced matches.

Back