Hero fatigue

I agree, TS. Comic-book movies are overdone and have been for a few years already.

Comic books have been among the primary sources for material for in Hollywood for decades, most of the of the non-superhero variety.

Perhaps you mean costumed superhero movies?

As long as they are done right (a blend of styles,) the "superhero genre" will be just fine. Westerns were "done" when Sergio Leone started ripping off Kurosawa and BOOM, resurgence. Then Lonesome Dove. Then Unfirgiven. Open Range. Firefly.

The thing with superhero movies is that they allow a greater suspension of disbelief by getting rid of the pretense of plausibility. Can the hero really hit the bad guy that hard? Hack that system? Make that shot? Get that girl? Of course! He's the motherfucking Batman/Hulk/Human Torch/last son of Krypton!

Superhero/Fantasy/Sci-fi. There is no high art or low art, only good art and bad art.

As long as they are done right (a blend of styles,) the "superhero genre" will be just fine. Westerns were "done" when Sergio Leone started ripping off Kurosawa and BOOM, resurgence. Then Lonesome Dove. Then Unfirgiven. Open Range. Firefly.

The thing with superhero movies is that they allow a greater suspension of disbelief by getting rid of the pretense of plausibility. Can the hero really hit the bad guy that hard? Hack that system? Make that shot? Get that girl? Of course! He's the motherfucking Batman/Hulk/Human Torch/last son of Krypton!

Superhero/Fantasy/Sci-fi. There is no high art or low art, only good art and bad art.

Yeah, but Firefly was awful as a western and as sci-fi.

I think some of you have misunderstood me. I don't think Superhero films are necessarily bad art or poor cinema. What I'm saying is that the genre is being exploited through over saturation. We get about 6-8 of these films every year, and despite the differences within the storylines there are enough overlapping aspects to make the average viewer feel like they are watching the same movie over and over again. In spite of Superhero films being the apex of taking liberty with reality, there's still a limit to how much uniqueness you can squeeze from a genre. And when you keep pushing the envelope, you're finally forced to start scraping the bottom if the bucket to see what's left.

I think everyone has understood you, or at least I did.

But I dont agree with you.

I think then every genre in the film industry would suffers from what you're alluding to.

there aren't many hero movies i like in general. examples: Spider man, x men, avengers, fantastic 4, captain america, etc. They are all so similar and about the only ones ive somewhat enjoyed were batman, and thor

Back