Herniated Disk part Deux

redjako

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Its sort of Troix...did a search, and read up. Wanted to know if I could do squats and RDL with just bodyweight...nope, not really.

Had an MRI on my cervical, lumbar and brain. Brain, since I was nearly blacking out when doing jump-rope tabata intervels and sometimes sitting down.

Orthopedic Dr told me I have a herniated disk, and I'm waiting a week more for the results.

i have another appointment in a month with a "high end" orthopedic surgeon, and will find some good PT from that.

Leading up to the hernia:

session of deadlifts, then full-catch 1rm cleans.
1 day later Heavy moving of my apartment out

3 days later, 6 hour hike w/ too much alcohol and little food overnight

1 week later Chiropractor compression: = hernia? Probably.
I was telling my chiro (who helped my neck actually) not to compress my lower back as it always hurt too much and never "released" but, he "forgot" and compressed my lower back.

Its hurt since (month later), and just got the MRI's done last week.

Defranco: http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_04-01-16.htm

"squats and deadlifts aren

My Dad had a herniated disk and two bulged disks. His case sounds a lot more severe than yours and he ended up making a full recovery without needing surgery. He went on to lay carpet for twenty years which entailed a lot of heavy lifting. I tell you this because it should be OK.

What he learned was you HAVE TO LET IT HEAL FIRST. Until you're symptom free don't even think about doing anything strenuous. His orthopedic doctor (he too had his back fucked up worse by a chiropractor) told him to stay off it for three weeks and after that start on the Mckenzie stretches. I couldn't find all of them at the moment but I bet your doctor would be able to tell you about them.

When you stretch, focus on the hamstrings and glutes. They affect your back more than you would think. Also, when stretching your hamstrings and glutes, keep your back straight. For example, the toe touch while rounding your back stretches your back really bad.

That's my $0.02.

Defranco is referring to Blugarian split squats when talking about the single leg squat with the back foot elevated, which keep the torso roughly perpindicular to the ground. In a regular pistol I have to lean forward a good bit to keep balance which probably wouldn't be a super good idea for you. Mainly I would focus on healing first, and not be in too big of a hurry to bust your ass getting strong because it will probably hurt you in the long run. I would think sled dragging and hip belt squats would be best course of action.

You can get a super sweet bench press though!

Well, I'll admit it I'm bad. I have a herniated disc but I won't stay away from squats. However, my last session was so bad and left me much more sore than usual (in lower back) so I might be putting those to the side. Good to see ideas for keeping my strength while removing squats for a bit.

Any ideas for shoulders without spine compression? Any sort of overhead pressing compresses the spine, which is generally my favorite exercises. Damn, at this rate my pullups and bench are going to see significant gains.

Well, I'll admit it I'm bad. I have a herniated disc but I won't stay away from squats. However, my last session was so bad and left me much more sore than usual (in lower back) so I might be putting those to the side. Good to see ideas for keeping my strength while removing squats for a bit.

Any ideas for shoulders without spine compression? Any sort of overhead pressing compresses the spine, which is generally my favorite exercises. Damn, at this rate my pullups and bench are going to see significant gains.

I've had mixed results with pistols (one-legged squats). There's a book by Stuart McGill called "Lower Back Disorders". I recommend picking up a copy and reading.

I used to sit at a desk all day and it always made my back pain worse. For the past 6 months or so, I've been standing while at work. My entire office got new furniture and the desks are adjustable so I just raised mine as high as it would go and ditched the chair. Of all the things I've tried for back pain, this worked the best. ART is also well worth trying.

Humans are NOT built for desk work.

FIXED

Has anyone read anything on proper posture with a herniated disc? I've had times when it feels better to be seated fully straight, while other times I've laid out in the chair but kept a straight lower back. Anyone read anything on this?

I have a herniated disk in my neck. It's been bothering me for years. I started going to Dr. Davis here in Clarksville TN and it's helped a lot. I've been told by Drs that the only real fix is fusing the vertebra. Take it easy.

www.SSFgear.com

My back injury isn't a herniated disc but I would advise doing those stretches religiously. Get down on the floor 5 times a day facing Mecca and stretch those hamstrings out. Really helps with the pain.

Also, sitting is your enemy, not just because of the pressure it puts on the back but because it doesn't promote blood flow to the area. Any physical activity you can do without hurting yourself is a good idea. Rest is the worst thing you can do after the initial injury.

I've had mixed results with pistols (one-legged squats). There's a book by Stuart McGill called "Lower Back Disorders". I recommend picking up a copy and reading.

I used to sit at a desk all day and it always made my back pain worse. For the past 6 months or so, I've been standing while at work. My entire office got new furniture and the desks are adjustable so I just raised mine as high as it would go and ditched the chair. Of all the things I've tried for back pain, this worked the best. ART is also well worth trying.

Humans are NOT built for desk work.

FIXED

Corrected.

I have a blown disc at L5-S1 and I have been dealing with it for about 3 years. I am absolutely done with squats of any type as I am sure that is what aggravates it for me.

As far as rehab goes, first it needs a little time to heal then anything you can do to keep those hammies stretched and that core tight is what you want.

There is a ton of info about this on the web. Try this website:

http://www.chirogeek.com/

This guy is a chiropracter who has a herniated disc and has since had a variety of treatments and done thousands of hours of research in this area. His site has a tremendous amount of info and as someone who also in healthcare (but not a chiropracter) I think it is a great site.

Keep in mind, disc problems require patience, the discs are not living tissues with their own blood supply like skin, muscle, etc, so they do not "heal" the way other tissues do. Once a disc herniates, it will never be "normal" again but you can get better without surgey, much better. Most of the time I do whatever i want (except squats) including a lot of exercise, sports, and physical activity but I am always mindful of my lower back.

Good stuff.

Other research I find I'll post up on this thread as a resource.

Back