Herniated Disk — Its spinal [UPDATE] Also have COVID

What’s up, Sherbros — on Monday I was repping out my final deadlift set and felt a little pop. Two days later I can barely move. Now, on Friday I just can’t get comfortable or sleep at all.

My wife is a PT and she’s been treating it to limited success so far, but this is a real bitch. She’s 6 months pregnant so it’s difficult for her to really work on me right now to the fullest extent.

Anyone else ever get a bad back injury? Just curious of anyone else’s experience.

Cliffs: Hurt back deadlifting. Much pain. Very ouch.
I got one between the L4 & L5 at work the back pain wasn't too bad just a bunch of spasms and stiffness that lead to me not being able to straighten my back. The real issue was the sciatica that accompanied it that lead to the real pain that was damn near unbearable without pain meds and flexeril. I had to get a laminectomy and a discectomy and that helped but you also need to strengthen your core to make up for your back being weakened or you'll keep on having issues.

Had to have a microdiscetomy to fix this was told to wait a year to see if it healed in its on as 90 percent of the time it does ,
Constant pain everyday . Was told a few times to avoid the op but ne ver had an issue since was 26 when i got it really young now 30 never had a re occurence

Herniated my L5 C1 when I was about 15 playing rugby, and have reinjured it several times since. Every time I've injured it has been during long periods of being inactive and getting fat.

When it was really bad, the thing I found most useful for rehabbing and almost totally eliminating sciatica is a pullup bar and set of gravity boots. Every time I've injured it my entire core goes into spasm for a week or two when I can hardly move, but after this eased up, the gravity boots were my best friend. Little and often.

It also responds well to squats and deadlifts, but I lift well within my limits. I always lift with a belt and valsalva hard for everything, even warmup sets. I stop before any kind of form breakdown starts to happen. It's usually my lower abs that dictate when I put down the bar. When I'm no longer able to engage them 100%, the bar goes down.

I have absolutely no idea what my 1 rep max is for anything and I'm not going to find out because that just increases my chance of getting in the Robert Oberst injury zone.

Yea, fucked up my back 3 years ago squatting and the pain still lingers from time to time. It's manageable but noticeable. I started up physical therapy again a few months back to try to get it down to zero pain.

Herniated my L5 C1 when I was about 15 playing rugby, and have reinjured it several times since. Every time I've injured it has been during long periods of being inactive and getting fat.

When it was really bad, the thing I found most useful for rehabbing and almost totally eliminating sciatica is a pullup bar and set of gravity boots. Every time I've injured it my entire core goes into spasm for a week or two when I can hardly move, but after this eased up, the gravity boots were my best friend. Little and often.

It also responds well to squats and deadlifts, but I lift well within my limits. I always lift with a belt and valsalva hard for everything, even warmup sets. I stop before any kind of form breakdown starts to happen. It's usually my lower abs that dictate when I put down the bar. When I'm no longer able to engage them 100%, the bar goes down.

I have absolutely no idea what my 1 rep max is for anything and I'm not going to find out because that just increases my chance of getting in the Robert Oberst injury zone.
L5S1?

Was wondering how you did that! Haha
rSBxcLD.gif

Sciatic pain hits me at least once a month
Puts me down for a couple of days.

Back pain is no bueno.

I herniated a disc last year doing behind the back deadlifts (hack squats) with 400lbs. I saw some idiots on youtube doing it so I had to prove I was the bigger idiot. I didn't hear a pop I just felt a sense of impending doom and almost blacked when I sat down on the bench. Took about 3 months to heal and get back in the gym. What helped me the most was continuing to strengthen my core with planks/side planks and don't pick up anything more than 15lbs from the floor. Avoid doing stretches unless they are approved by a doctor. I made the mistake of doing static stretches like bending over to touch my toes before my PT told me that wasn't a good idea.

Got a bulging disc currently. No physical therapy provided lasting relief. I go to a pain management clinic on Monday. Pretty sure this is the end.

Been suffering from one for a while but recently it's left me with an uncomfortable sensation in my legs on and off to the point where it's been fucking with my sleep.

It's been around 2 weeks but I can honestly feel a difference since I've incorporated different variations of bodyweight lunges, squats and core/lower back exercises. Dead Hangs work great too for spinal decompression.

Feels pretty good and a bonus is the tightness/pain I had in the right side of my lower back has went away since I started.

I was one to neglect core/lower back exercises my whole life and I always hunched over when I sat so a combination of those caught up with me. Gonna stick with it since I'm already seeing results.

I've had many back injuries, but they were minor compared to yours. Almost entirely muscular, not disk bulges and whatnot. Ice is indispensable, and for the rest I'll pray for you. The most intense pain I've ever experienced are the shockwaves of back spasms from a back injury.

Been suffering from one for a while but recently it's left me with an uncomfortable sensation in my legs on and off to the point where it's been fucking with my sleep.

It's been around 2 weeks but I can honestly feel a difference since I've incorporated different variations of bodyweight lunges, squats and core/lower back exercises. Dead Hangs work great too for spinal decompression.

Feels pretty good and a bonus is the tightness/pain I had in the right side of my lower back has went away since I started.

I was one to neglect core/lower back exercises my whole life and I always hunched over when I sat so a combination of those caught up with me. Gonna stick with it since I'm already seeing results.

I can't even walk normal. I look like a fuckin old man. Well, an older one anyway. I do some yoga stretches and exercises to strengthen my quads, glutes and pelvic muscles. It helps until I bend forward for anything. Have to sleep on my left side.

I'm hoping they shoot me up on Monday and that allows me to exercise more freely. This shit has got to go.

I can't even walk normal. I look like a fuckin old man. Well, an older one anyway. I do some yoga stretches and exercises to strengthen my quads, glutes and pelvic muscles. It helps until I bend forward for anything. Have to sleep on my left side.

I'm hoping they shoot me up on Monday and that allows me to exercise more freely. This shit has got to go.

Damn. Hope it goes well, good luck

Sorry to hear, TS.

Are you doing skills training on top of lifting? Working a laborious job?

At 38, after blowing my shit out in 2019 deadlifting, I've learned the hard way to pick and choose my battles.

If my body is feeling iffy from lifting or working hard, I flow roll only in jiu-jitsu or attend the Muay Thai classes that are more cardio-centric.

If I'm beat up from hard rolling, I do deload week weights in the gym and focus on mobility stuff.

You're going to have to pick your battles from here on out.

Hope you get better and heal quickly, bro.

And, yo, for real, Pilates/yoga is where it's at.

My primary care doc referred me to a post-pregnancy type doc who specializes in helping women in, I guess, putting their bodies back together... for lack of a better term...

It was suggested to me to try Pilates/yoga for helping heal my abdominal wall and pelvic floor injuries from the 2019 deadlifting accident.

And it absolutely did.

Back injuries are some of the worst. If you fuck up an arm or leg, it sucks but you can work around it to a certain extent. If your back goes, you're fucked in everything you do.

Holy shit there but for the grace of God go I.

I get pins and needles in my foot, probably sciatic nerve compression somewhere but that's the worst of it.

I lift so that I can play football as a lineman aged 41, I'm always looking to be stronger and pack on lean mass but mostly it's prehab.

Got me deadlift up to 500lbs X 12 with reps in the tank, but since then I've kinda given them a rest and focused on squats and single leg stuff.

This thread is a good reminder to take my time and to lift with form. Did a 100kg shrug the other day and didn't set my core, felt a little pop in me back but it seems to have settled down. Must stay healthy!

I think everyone has a genetic ceiling that their body can handle, playing football I've seen plenty of people's bodies just fall apart. If you're a person that gets injured (has chain weaknesses) you need to work on those primarily and maybe scale back. I've been very very lucky. 7 seasons of defensive and offensive line and I've not missed a snap yet.

Lumbar. L5 I'm pretty sure. Nearly all the significant pain is in my leg. Usually shooting to the foot. Some days just the calf.

Oh man that's exactly what I had, every now and then I still get this pain shoot through my hamstring, locks my leg up for a few seconds. At its worse it was like every single muscle in my legs had a strain, my calf muscles were visibly moving on their own and I still get pains shooting through them each day

A coworker quit work at the age of 38 because of back trouble. When he was 44, he tucked a shotgun under his chin and blew his brains out. I always considered myself lucky that I never had back trouble until I was 54. I got out of bed started to walk and my legs collapsed and I couldn't feel them. I got twisted around and the feeling came back. An MRI showed a PARS defect at L5. Where my spine meets my pelvis the L5 vertebrae doesn't have the pieces to keep it aligned so the spinal cord is being compressed. I could have been born with it or it could be a result of injuries. The doctor said just twisting wrong could paralyze me from the waist down. He didn't want to risk operating on it. His advice was to retire on disability. I worked for over 20 more years. Now I have trouble controlling where my right leg goes and my left calf muscle feels like it's cramping most of the time.

Good times!

A coworker quit work at the age of 38 because of back trouble. When he was 44, he tucked a shotgun under his chin and blew his brains out. I always considered myself lucky that I never had back trouble until I was 54. I got out of bed started to walk and my legs collapsed and I couldn't feel them. I got twisted around and the feeling came back. An MRI showed a PARS defect at L5. Where my spine meets my pelvis the L5 vertebrae doesn't have the pieces to keep it aligned so the spinal cord is being compressed. I could have been born with it or it could be a result of injuries. The doctor said just twisting wrong could paralyze me from the waist down. He didn't want to risk operating on it. His advice was to retire on disability. I worked for over 20 more years. Now I have trouble controlling where my right leg goes and my left calf muscle feels like it's cramping most of the time.

Good times!
My ma had a similar finding with regards to her upper spine, at 68 was told she must have had an incident at some point that damaged some vertebrae, and that any sudden jolt now could paralyse her. Crazy shit

Personally ice head back issues since I was 18, neck issues since 14

Have you found any way of alleviating the calf pain/cramps?

Good times!

Hold on are you 74?

Just thats how i understold working 20 plus years lol

80% of back injuries are musculoskeletal. It's more likely you strained a paraspinal muscle. You'll be fine in 2-3 weeks.

80% of back injuries are musculoskeletal. It's more likely you strained a paraspinal muscle. You'll be fine in 2-3 weeks.

Back when I was in psychology I read that 3/4 of back pain was psychological, in that people have an injury and the muscles around take over some of the strain but then never stop leading to imbalance and pain because structure is out of whack.

It's why pain killers are doled out so much, because if you're on enough you'll start to use your back properly and shit will improve over time. That's the theory..

Back