Here's how I grade Bellator's PPV

JAVila916

White Belt
Reaction score
Decent/Good, but not great. Better than some UFC PPV's though. I think if EA was on the card, it would've been a little better.

7.5 out of 10 IMO.

They came out of the box as strong as they could. But the fights didn't really deliver. Brooks vs. Chandler was good, could've been better. King Mo made a grudge match into a wrestling match. He was trying to win, but not trying to sell PPVs. Definitely not a huge win for Bellator. The problem is, they don't have the talent to run big PPVs. They benefit from a weekly show on TV. That's as good as their going to get. It's called the losing money business for a reason. They won't be around in a few years unless they can steal talent. And with a show like this, I don't see them acquiring good talent. UFC is swallowing up talent left and right to fill their TV cards.

I thought it was a solid 7-8 because I ain't mad at the main event like so many were.

The only real blackeye on the showcase was Tito fighting a smaller guy and it being exactly how you'd expect it to be.

King Mo vs Tito
Rampage vs Newton

A PPV headlined by a UFC burnout in a battle of non top 15 LHWs

Co main featured Bellator's most marketable fight going down the drain (I felt like I was watching money get flushed down a toilet)

And Tito fucking Ortiz beating a bloated welterweight then talking a bunch of Tito Ortiz nonsense...

I would give that PPV an F

C-

Main event was garbage
Chandler look like shit
Tito's corpse and Page were the highlights

The actual fights were decent. The over the top pro wrestling antics were downright embarrassing.

I'd give this a 3-4.

Mostly for the long gaps between fights.

Yea definitely better than some UFC events. UFC has sort of become like a premium brand. No matter how terrible their events are, people love it cause it's UFC bro. But we've seen our fare share of boring UFC events too and seeing as it's Bellator's first PPV, it really was pretty entertaining.

I'll give it a solid two snakes constricting an Asian man's penis.

I enjoyed the fights, minus the main event it was entertaining. The UFC has had much, much worst events fight wise. Production wise, it was fucking awful. Literally the entire event was a King Mo/Rampage commercial, over and over and over again. We bought the card to watch the fight, quit showing fucking promos for it.

I was happy for Tito. I was impressed with Page.

Other than that, I regret staying up till 6am to see 100000 previews of the Rampage vs Mo fight really.

Speed it the fuck up fucks sake

6/10.

I enjoyed 3 of the 5 fights. Production was pretty awful though. Not ufc so it can't score above an 8 anyways.

It got 5 of those 6 points just for King Mo calling Rebney "dickriding".

I thoroughly enjoyed the event. It wasn't legendary or anything but I think it was a good start. Also why is everyone hating on Chandler? That was a great fight and Will Brooks is a legit Top 10 Lightweight. This will only increase the amount of exciting fights in the division.

Next PPV

Rampage vs Newton and Alvarez vs Brooks are solid fights to build a PPV around

i give it a 5 the pacing killed any momentum the event had at all

6/10
Without the 30 minute filler shit in between fights it would have been a 7.5 for the fights, judging and comedy

Judging it based on what? just the fights or everything we saw?

cause on just the fights it was a solid 7-8 show imo.

Judging it based on everything else, the pacing, the stupid post fight Mo stuff etc then it was probably a 6, 6.5.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/1...ge-vs-king-mo-results-and-post-fight-analysis

There is simply no way to score two rounds for Rampage in that fight, but they still found a way to do it and rob Lawal of a clear victory.

The fight wasn't exciting, it wasn't some thrilling blow-off to a highly hyped grudge match, but it was Mo simply doing more than Jackson. But that just doesn't matter in a sport where the fate of fighters is left up to people who score things on bizarre whims.

Lawal's blow-up toward Bjorn Rebney was one of the highlights of the night. During the Spike TV portion of the card, Mo called Rebney a "dick rider" when it comes to Rampage, and he continued it...going the extra mile after the decision was read. He also basically dared Rebney to fire him, which won't happen because there's money to be made. But puts Rebney in an awkward spot.
Michael Chandler losing to Will Brooks didn't make much sense to me either. I had no problem with a draw, but I don't understand anyone scoring the fight for Brooks. Maybe a rewatch will change my mind, but I thought it was 48-47 Chandler (my score) or 47-47 depending on if you gave Brooks a 10-8 round.
Chandler losing sinks Chandler vs. Eddie Alvarez 3, which is a bummer. Alvarez vs. Brooks is good stuff on paper, but there was something about concluding the trilogy when it meant something, but now it has been tainted by Brooks if it ever does happen.
Speaking of tainted, Bellator's decision to throw their middleweight champ, who is undersized in the division, in with a washed up light heavyweight sure did backfire. Tito Ortiz looked slow and unimpressive against Alexander Shlemenko, until he got a takedown and sunk an arm triangle in like it was nothing. You can bang the "he was moving up a division" drum all you like, but Ortiz had a single win since UFC 66, so it's hard to shrug off losing to him if you're supposed to be one of the best fighters in the world, as Bellator had attempted to sell Shlemenko
Alexander Volkov beating Blagoy Ivanov was typical forgettable heavyweight MMA stuff, not unique to Bellator, but especially prevalent with the forced tournament narrative. Still, Volkov won and that's something.
Michael Page is the best thing in Bellator and one of the best things in all of MMA. He is so profoundly obnoxious in his showboating during fights, but so deadly accurate that he's thrilling to watch. We can all sit around and complain that he has to "take a real step up" but why not enjoy the violence?
All in all, it was a memorable night. Given that it wasn't going to be the kind of night that changed the MMA landscape, that's pretty much all that one could ask for. There was a smattering of the surreal with some great performances thrown in. It probably didn't sell much on PPV, but it wasn't a total waste if you decided to drop your hard earned money to give it a watch.

Just too drawn out.

I do like the more straight up interview responses.

Back