Heres a good video of how creepy muslim marriage to kids are

You do know that its only been the last 100 years or so that girls where not expected to be married off at 14-16 in the western world right ?
Yep 14 is alot different than 6 and up

I see what you're saying and I agree to an extent. Personally I'm not so wedded to the current way of doing things that I would provide resistance to alternative ideas concerning marriage if it could be demonstrated that they're superior.

For instance, I know a relatively well off South Asian community. Within that community a form of arranged marriage is common. The parents arrange the marriages by finding a partner through the community but the children have to give their seal of approval for it to go ahead. Generally it seems to work as the marriages say intact. The parents probably aren't looking around for potential partners for their children on the basis of their ability in bed or taste in movies, they're looking for educated and well off potential partners from stable and respectable families. And underneath all this there seems to be a watered down honor culture that keeps everyone in line. No one is getting stoned to death if they get divorced, the threat of your and your family's reputation being dragged through the mud seems to be enough.

Might not result in the most passionate, Disney-esque marriages but they sure seem stable.

Oh, I agree - I could personally stand to see a pretty drastic overhaul of the way we approach marriage. I also think the approach you mentioned is probably the most reasonable one to adopt. Studies and rigorous analysis of current systems of things like marriage would incrementally provide evidence to chip away at the current monolithic institution. Change would be gradual, based on hard evidence, but no amount of evidence would actually result in a real, drastic, sudden change for the objectively better.

In strict functional terms, I think that societal excess and the rise of the popular notion of marriage for love is what is really making modern marriage such a mess. Even a hundred years ago, far more people were marrying because they thought it was a "good match" in more material terms compared to "I hear the silver bells tingle when I see him!" Marriage in the Western world today is like a designer shoe - you buy it because you think it looks good and you stuff it in the closet when you don't get excited to put it on any more. Marriage a century ago was more like a hammer - even if you don't get excited every time you swing it, you keep using it because it still hammers the damned nails. Marriage used to be more about a material union where people were partners in doing a job together - managing a household, raising kids, etc. Disney went and left generations of people expecting big romance and fairy tale love so marriage is saddled with an untenable expectation of romantic love. When those expectations are no longer met, the marriage is discarded like that two year old designer shoe.

I don't think that's something we're easily changing based on better outcomes. People want their romantic love... They're entitled to it, it's their right to have that romantic love. And hey, so it is. That expectation and our haphazard way of securing it is leading to a system of marriage that produces results as solid as the house your drunk uncle built from the ground up.

Oh, I agree - I could personally stand to see a pretty drastic overhaul of the way we approach marriage. I also think the approach you mentioned is probably the most reasonable one to adopt. Studies and rigorous analysis of current systems of things like marriage would incrementally provide evidence to chip away at the current monolithic institution. Change would be gradual, based on hard evidence, but no amount of evidence would actually result in a real, drastic, sudden change for the objectively better.

In strict functional terms, I think that societal excess and the rise of the popular notion of marriage for love is what is really making modern marriage such a mess. Even a hundred years ago, far more people were marrying because they thought it was a "good match" in more material terms compared to "I hear the silver bells tingle when I see him!" Marriage in the Western world today is like a designer shoe - you buy it because you think it looks good and you stuff it in the closet when you don't get excited to put it on any more. Marriage a century ago was more like a hammer - even if you don't get excited every time you swing it, you keep using it because it still hammers the damned nails. Marriage used to be more about a material union where people were partners in doing a job together - managing a household, raising kids, etc. Disney went and left generations of people expecting big romance and fairy tale love so marriage is saddled with an untenable expectation of romantic love. When those expectations are no longer met, the marriage is discarded like that two year old designer shoe.

I don't think that's something we're easily changing based on better outcomes. People want their romantic love... They're entitled to it, it's their right to have that romantic love. And hey, so it is. That expectation and our haphazard way of securing it is leading to a system of marriage that produces results as solid as the house your drunk uncle built from the ground up.

Hey buddy you never answered a simple question

Was human sacrifice wrong? Also were the nazis wrong with the holocaust?

It was part of the culture and who are we to judge?

Come on lil buddy I can't be that scary

I actually watched a documentary that stated the marrages were to protect the children from rape. If the child was assocaited with another family/husband she would not be raped.

So if your daughter was not married by say 10, you were basically putting a "come rape my child vagina" sign on her.

Allah Akbar.

I actually watched a documentary that stated the marrages were to protect the children from rape. If the child was assocaited with another family/husband she would not be raped.

So if your daughter was not married by say 10, you were basically putting a "come rape my child vagina" sign on her.

Allah Akbar.

I watched a documentary that said your documentary is full of shit.

This is hard to defend, but it should be noted that the claim is that they don't consummate the marriage until the girl is of age. It's still pretty horrific, but they at least claim that they're not having sex with children.

This also seems like a pretty condemnable ideology from a feminist viewpoint, never mind radical feminism. Less talk about mansplaining and more talk about marrying 10 year olds, imo.

Unfortunately, I automatically think of the Game of Thrones line, "Has she had her blood yet?" when I read statements like that...:eek:

Back