Hereditary (2018)

My only problem with the movie is it felt like the Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby combined. It just didn't feel original. Still fantastic for a modern horror movie but felt a little copycat rather than being inspired by.

I still think it's the best horror movie since the Witch (which was original). A24 studios have been killing it.

The part when she was chasing him, banging her head upside down on the door to the attic staircase was priceless. It wasn't meant to be funny but I was laughing so hard.

I think there was some very .dark humor in the film. The mom building the model of the accident with the massive telegraph pole. The therapy session where she pours out a stream of horror while the others sit staring at her in shock. The car park scene. The mom in the corner scuttling off like a spider. I thought it was a great horror movie.

My only problem with the movie is it felt like the Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby combined. It just didn't feel original. Still fantastic for a modern horror movie but felt a little copycat rather than being inspired by.

I still think it's the best horror movie since the Witch (which was original). A24 studios have been killing it.
The VVitch sucked hard. Took me 3 sittings to get through 1/2 the movie.

Massive spoilers from the end
Was it really the demon at the end of the movie? I think it might have actually been that Charlie kid because he looked so confiused[\SPOILER]

The VVitch sucked hard. Took me 3 sittings to get through 1/2 the movie.

Horror and comedy are very subjective. I loved the VVitch but I can see it being very polarizing. I like my horror movies filled with atmosphere and suspense. If something is creepy and has a presence, I'm in. The VVitch had it.

Horror and comedy are very subjective. I loved the VVitch but I can see it being very polarizing. I like my horror movies filled with atmosphere and suspense. If something is creepy and has a presence, I'm in. The VVitch had it.

Maybe I need to watch it sober, but it was just people farming to me. Hereditary was engaging the entire time. IDK maybe just a good mood.

Massive spoilers from the end
Was it really the demon at the end of the movie? I think it might have actually been that Charlie kid because he looked so confiused[\SPOILER]

What part are you talking about?

The grandmother was part of the ceremony to bring back Paimon. The mom, son and daughter were all required in the ritual. At the end, the ritual is complete and the son is the embodiment of Paimon. He was drawn to the tree house at the end and basically accepted his fate at the very end.

What part are you talking about?

The grandmother was part of the ceremony to bring back Paimon. The mom, son and daughter were all required in the ritual. At the end, the ritual is complete and the son is the embodiment of Paimon. He was drawn to the tree house at the end and basically accepted his fate at the very end.
when Peter jumps out of the window he's laying there and you see a light enter his body. It looks like he is probably dead and then comes back to life. I was asking if it was Paimon or maybe it was just Charlie the little kid they keep talking to the lady who's son dies and she tricked everyone to bring him back. I think it was Charlie because he looks confused as hell.

I did NOT like VVitch. But i saw the brilliance behind the work.

There were too many holes that prevented me from liking it.

I am tempted to buy this on 4k blu ray.. it isn't the kind of movie I would usually buy.. I am unsure.

when Peter jumps out of the window he's laying there and you see a light enter his body. It looks like he is probably dead and then comes back to life. I was asking if it was Paimon or maybe it was just Charlie the little kid they keep talking to the lady who's son dies and she tricked everyone to bring him back. I think it was Charlie because he looks confused as hell.

This is how I took it...

The title Hereditary is basically a spoiler. The grandmother had already started the ritual and the demon was in Charlie's body. Paimon requires a male body though. The ritual calls for a sacrifice and specifically, decapitation. Charlie gets decapitated and at the end, her spirit gets transferred to Peter.

I am tempted to buy this on 4k blu ray.. it isn't the kind of movie I would usually buy.. I am unsure.

Same. I really loved the movie but it didn't come across as something I'd watch more than twice. Still, it was so well done that I think I want it in my collection. Hopefully it'll be on sale on Black Friday.

This is how I took it...

The title Hereditary is basically a spoiler. The grandmother had already started the ritual and the demon was in Charlie's body. Paimon requires a male body though. The ritual calls for a sacrifice and specifically, decapitation. Charlie gets decapitated and at the end, her spirit gets transferred to Peter.
Ok I think you're right. I fucked up and didn't realize the little girl's name was Charlie. Actually everything makes way more sense now lol

The more I think about it, Hereditary is super similar to Donnie Darko.

With Donnie Darko, every character that interacts with Donnie is considered "The Manipulated Living" while he is the "Living Receiver". Every action that they do unbeknownst to them is to help him on his mission and ensure he reaches his goal. The same thing is happening in Hereditary where Charlie is the living receiver. The demon is planted in Charlie and the goal is to transfer her spirit into another body. The mom and son are all being manipulated into this goal.

What's brilliant about both movies is that you can watch them, get the basic gist of what is going on and enjoy them. If you dig deeper and read supplemental material however, the movies get so much better and become works of art. One of my friends never got Donnie Darko and I explained that to really get into it, you have to read the philosophy involved and he was like "Who's gonna do that?" and he's right.

If you are willing though, Hereditary is the exact same way. Here are tidbits which aren't clear in the movie but are interesting.

- If you call upon Paimon, he prefers a male body as host and requires a sacrifice
- Ellen (grandmother) was going to use Annie's (mother) kid as the host body for Paimon
- Ellen wanted a male host but Charlie was born and given a male's name as a compromise
- Ellen started the ritual with Charlie and placed the demon spirit of Paimon in her body
- Since Charlie is female, they knew they had to sacrifice her and transfer the spirit to a male body
- Charlie starts acting weird because Paimon's spirit is in her
- Annie was manipulated to send Charlie to a party where she was later decapitated beginning the next phase of the ritual
- Charlie's spirit eventually enters Peter's at the end and he is drawn to the final ritual where he is crowned Paimon

lol
Just watched it last night. Thought it was dumb with a lot of meaningless moments, no character development, and re-hashed cookie cutter ideas that have been done to death.

The car scene was solid tho. I’ll give it that.

Thought it was pretty damn solid.

This and the witch have been my favorite modern horrors

I need to watch it again but im quite sure charlie is eating nuts before she eats nuts.

A hole that is similar to many found in vvitch.

Saw it recently and really "enjoyed" it.

It wasn't very original but it had a lot of disturbing scenes that was really surprising to me for a mainstream movie. For a modern horror movie, it's definitely one of the better ones in recent times. No jump scares, just good acting, atmosphere and tension. That's how you do it.

Great acting from everyone but the son. I wish they could have gotten a better actor and someone with a less annoying face.
Yeah. For some reason that guy annoys the hell out of me. It was well done though. I hate the modern horror genre all about the jump scares. I mean maybe and that is a big maybe one jump scare might be ok.

Back