Crime Here We Go Again: Ma’khia Bryant

Did the cop do the right thing?

• Total voters
When it starts to become a statistical trend, you have to look at the system and the connections. The poor and working class are more likely to become single parents, they're more likely to have kids too young, they're more likely to have mental illness untreated because they can't afford a normal doctor let alone a psychiatrist.

You have immense wealth inequality in the US, an abysmal healthcare system, a lack of opportunity in many areas. That's just scratching the surface. There are many ways this case is tied to the system. Doesn't mean I'm saying there's a group of old white guys in a secret chamber wringing their hands at the thought of a 15 year old girl being shot to death, but there's a way to reduce situations like this by addressing root problems.

Couldn’t be a cultural problem. Nope. It’s a systemic problem that her parents had kids too young, split up and abandoned her and she turned out to be the type of person to try and kill another person.

Couldn’t be a cultural problem. Nope. It’s a systemic problem that her parents had kids too young, split up and abandoned her and she turned out to be the type of person to try and kill another person.
Culture is directly linked to the system people are in. They influence eachother.

She's absolutely a victim of circumstance. There's a reason they separate legal cases with minors and adults, there's a reason they can't consent to sex, there's a reason they aren't trusted to vote. No one has any idea of what led to that incident, I'm sure she was guilty of plenty, but I'm not going to sit and pretend like anyone has the right to say she deserved it.

I also didn't know you had to earn your way in to foster care by being certifiably sound of mind. I figured there would be a higher chance for those kids to have mental issues considering their parents gave them up to begin with, often because of their own mental health struggles.

That girl didn’t have a chance in hell imo. She had the deck stacked against her. My issue is that she has become a martyr and her attempts to murder two people are simply ignored so some people can blame the cop. He either shot her or watched her kill another and then had to fight a knife wielding girl. She had a giant funeral filled with the biggest race grifters in the country-sharpton, ben chump, etc. the only one they were missing was shaun king. She is hailed as a victim of police brutality instead of a victim of shitty parents and the foster care system that placed in an unstable home. But the narrative of “she called police for help and instead of helping her, they shot her” is beyond stupid and should make these people making such claims to lose all credibility. chump even said she was unarmed, her family claimed she dropped the knife, and many media reports say she was holding a knife when in reality, she was trying to kill someone-a black woman that was saved by police-but that fact is ignored.

That girl didn’t have a chance in hell imo. She had the deck stacked against her. My issue is that she has become a martyr and her attempts to murder two people are simply ignored so some people can blame the cop. He either shot her or watched her kill another and then had to fight a knife wielding girl. She had a giant funeral filled with the biggest race grifters in the country-sharpton, ben chump, etc. the only one they were missing was shaun king. She is hailed as a victim of police brutality instead of a victim of shitty parents and the foster care system that placed in an unstable home. But the narrative of “she called police for help and instead of helping her, they shot her” is beyond stupid and should make these people making such claims to lose all credibility. chump even said she was unarmed, her family claimed she dropped the knife, and many media reports say she was holding a knife when in reality, she was trying to kill someone-a black woman that was saved by police-but that fact is ignored.
She's a martyr in the sense of what she represents, not that she was a perfect angel. Many black people understand it could have been them in her shoes, that she was let down by people who were supposed to care for her. Are there even anyone besides Twitter trolls still saying the cop was guilty of anything?

So how many degrees are we going to go back before you decide that the biggest factor is personal accountability?
Me saying she should know killing is wrong doesn't prevent more cases like this. But understanding why this happened opens the possibility for improvement.

She's a martyr in the sense of what she represents, not that she was a perfect angel. Many black people understand it could have been them in her shoes, that she was let down by people who were supposed to care for her. Are there even anyone besides Twitter trolls still saying the cop was guilty of anything?

Hell yeah. sharpton and crump still maintain that a young black life was needlessly taken by police.

I just read an article earlier that stated that experts stated that there was no attempt to deescalate the situation and no commands to drop the knife-no he yelled “get on the ground!” They also discussed if these had been where people would force have been used-yes, to stop a stabbing, absolutely. And they muses if a mental health worker had been sent what would have happened-at least one person would have been stabbed. They pointed out that she was a two time victim-once by the system and the second time by police.

So, yeah. It is still going but the video shut down a lot of the chatter and the hustlers moved on to Elizabeth city nc for the brown shooting.

Hell yeah. sharpton and crump still maintain that a young black life was needlessly taken by police.

I just read an article earlier that stated that experts stated that there was no attempt to deescalate the situation and no commands to drop the knife-no he yelled “get on the ground!” They also discussed if these had been where people would force have been used-yes, to stop a stabbing, absolutely. And they muses if a mental health worker had been sent what would have happened-at least one person would have been stabbed. They pointed out that she was a two time victim-once by the system and the second time by police.

So, yeah. It is still going but the video shut down a lot of the chatter and the hustlers moved on to Elizabeth city nc for the brown shooting.
There's always going to be bad takes and grifters. Clearly when it comes to police brutality, this had no traction once people saw the video.

In fairness to Sharpton and Crump, that’s how they make their money.

She's absolutely a victim of circumstance. There's a reason they separate legal cases with minors and adults, there's a reason they can't consent to sex, there's a reason they aren't trusted to vote. No one has any idea of what led to that incident, I'm sure she was guilty of plenty, but I'm not going to sit and pretend like anyone has the right to say she deserved it.

I also didn't know you had to earn your way in to foster care by being certifiably sound of mind. I figured there would be a higher chance for those kids to have mental issues considering their parents gave them up to begin with, often because of their own mental health struggles.
Tbh im not sure exactly how foster care intake works in the states, and im guessing its also different from state to state as you love to diversify your laws :D
But here, if you are completely whack you dont get to go to foster care, you get to go to a care facility where you can get the help you need. I sometimes forget how bad americas health care is in general, so you might have a point there.

But again, saying she is a victim of circumstance is imo shitting all over everyone with mental problems/no families who dont run around stabbing other people. If we just keep excusing people who act like her it will only get worse, not better. And as i said in previous post, what people with mental health issues needs is a strictly structured frame, not some blank excuse check book.

In fairness to Sharpton and Crump, that’s how they make their money.

yeah, but at what cost? They cause more division and hatred between police and black Americans than almost any other figures. And it goes beyond police as well. In order to be able to make the money they make, they promote the narrative that police are hunting black people and executing them like dogs. People that don’t have enough sense to watch the video or look beyond an initial tweet form and maintain this opinion. For example, chump claimed Bryant was unarmed when she was shot and never retracted the statement-simply deleted it with zero consequences and the officer isn’t allowed to sue him because he was on duty, so his hate speech and ignorance is never halted. But either way, they cause more people to hate and fear the police and naturally, police are going to hate those who hate them as are other Americans that support the police.

Back