Crime Here We Go Again: Ma’khia Bryant

Did the cop do the right thing?

• Total voters
no. that may be true when a drunk guy tells some girl he likes her. but certainly not in many cases, in particular this one. we have already heard her mother talk about how sweet and funny she was, as well as others who echoed that. she was apparently being bullied and got to a breaking point. it happens to all of us at some point. it was unfortunate that she will be remembered like this by those who do not know who she really was. it was a sad moment all around
Brother, you need to consider the source, of course her mother would say that about her (her mother also left her in foster care, she's probably just looking for attention). George Floyd was a criminal, arrested for multiple offenses and a strong drug user and his family made the same claims about him.

Brother, you need to consider the source, of course her mother would say that about her (her mother also left her in foster care, she's probably just looking for attention). George Floyd was a criminal, arrested for multiple offenses and a strong drug user and his family made the same claims about him.
You can’t be a baby stabbing, habitual meth and fentanyl user, career felon and occasional counterfeiter and still not be a great person and father?

You can’t be a baby stabbing, habitual meth and fentanyl user, career felon and occasional counterfeiter and still not be a great person and father?
You honestly could man, I highly doubt it though... Hitler was known to take great care of his dogs and treat them as his kids (even though he killed them before suicide), bad people could have good family lifes, I HIGHLY doubt this was George's case though. His claims of being a gentle giant are completely false however due to his criminal past.

Wasn’t she asked to leave the room and instead stood directly in front, almost obstructing the officers view. Lmao it’s like some people are incapable of following commands from the police.

Her reaction didn’t seem normal- no reaction to the shooting, no crying or calling out. I would not be entirely surprised to find out this was planned and that they wanted to kill the officers. Maybe a stretch, but I am pretty sure she knew he had a gun.

You seem to be making up things to argue against

It would be better to spend that energy against the cunts who tried to fan the flames over this
Where have you been at the past year? The argument in here by the right has been that this is all part of a Marxist plot, the protests are an excuse to riot regardless of justification.

I made it clear when the video released that people wouldn't be rioting because they understand it was a shitty situation and the cop had no choice. I had people telling me to wait because riots were going to happen. I asked them to mention me in a week for the update, and now here we are with people complaining about a funeral but alas, no riots.

Can we stop pretending like we don't understand why this shooting got the attention that it did?
It got the attention that it did because police shootings are what has been in the news for over a year, there is video footage of it, and because of the age and sex of Ma'Khia.
If another 15 year old black girl got shot by the cops tomorrow, it'd probably get even more attention. And it's going to keep getting attention until some kind of action is taken in regards to how policing is done.

That unfortunately means that every one of these cases gets lumped in together as being "bad shoots". I don't want that, but there is absolutely no discussion on WHY this is the way it has been. This is due to a complete lack of action and leadership. Instead of blaming protestors, there is no focus on the people that have the power to change things.
A simple, "Hey, we hear your concerns. We see there's an issue, and here's what we're going to do..." Where has that been? What mass, systemic, substantive changes have been put forth? There's nothing.
And people complain about them complaining when you did nothing to address their complaint.

Can you not admit that police killing civilians and criminals killing civilians are separate issues? Neither is good. But they aren't the same thing. Because they aren't the same thing, they don't have the same solutions.
There is nothing Al Sharpton or Lebron James can say to a gang member that is going to make them stop doing what they're doing. What is going to stop crime, is systemic changes that make those crimes less likely to occur.
Al Sharpton and Lebron James can put pressure on the government, on leaders, on systems--because those things have ways to be held into account by the public. They do not have that power over gangs. Gangs and criminals don't bend to tweets and pressure from dinosaurs of the past and celebrities.

Tweeting this out, and tweeting every time a black kid gets murdered does nothing more than make YOU feel good. What ends up happening is that it allows people to not focus on the root causes of these issues. It turns the conversation into the "black on black" crime argument, instead of the obvious and largely inevitable consequences of poverty, drugs, and lack of opportunities in urban environments.
Most importantly, Lebron is a basketball player. He isn't a terribly intelligent person. People need to stop looking to him to make sense of the world. (and by people, I mean conservatives. Leftys aren't doing things BECAUSE Lebron said so. He's just inarticulately echoing the feelings that a lot of people have)

I have seen many many police departments talking about changes to avoid police shootings. And the reason that it keeps happening is because of the actions of the suspects in almost every case. There have been a few bad shoots, but Officer Reardon absolutely made the right choice to shoot that girl rather than let her stab someone else. It just shows the emotional maturity level of the community to be outraged that an officer saved another black girls life and that they are ok with violence so long as it doesn’t come from police-which is also the issue with black on black crime. Good for lebron for being one of very few that recognize that the murders of innocent children is an issue, but he like the rest, consider police shootings to be a bigger issue and that is retarded. The whole country protested over St Floyd and the whole world knows his name but no one can name any of those children in lebron’s tweet-not even him. And that is a huge problem because it denotes just how fucking common it is. And not only is that accepted as just pet of life in the hood, it’s excused and blamed on racism and poverty.

And it would be great if they could mobilize thousands and thousands of people to protest street violence, but they couldn’t and wouldn’t because they are afraid of admitting there is a serious problem in the community. How many children have to die before you could even get a tenth of the National response to one police killing? And I fucking know that police shootings are not the same-but they lift up every shitbag killed by police for fighting, fleeing, being armed and put the teddy bears and wear the t-shirts while no one really cares about some three year old getting shot enough to know their names. And I guess if you got the kind of response to gang violence that you did for Floyd, you are saying that kind of action wouldn’t do anything to stop gang violence then you are as lost as that community that refuses to do it. And my opinion as to why they won’t do it is because they are related to or know the people doing the shooting and they won’t turn on their own, so that is why it is accepted and they turn to a much smaller problem to lament over.

I have seen many many police departments talking about changes to avoid police shootings. And the reason that it keeps happening is because of the actions of the suspects in almost every case. There have been a few bad shoots, but Officer Reardon absolutely made the right choice to shoot that girl rather than let her stab someone else. It just shows the emotional maturity level of the community to be outraged that an officer saved another black girls life and that they are ok with violence so long as it doesn’t come from police-which is also the issue with black on black crime. Good for lebron for being one of very few that recognize that the murders of innocent children is an issue, but he like the rest, consider police shootings to be a bigger issue and that is retarded. The whole country protested over St Floyd and the whole world knows his name but no one can name any of those children in lebron’s tweet-not even him. And that is a huge problem because it denotes just how fucking common it is. And not only is that accepted as just pet of life in the hood, it’s excused and blamed on racism and poverty.

And it would be great if they could mobilize thousands and thousands of people to protest street violence, but they couldn’t and wouldn’t because they are afraid of admitting there is a serious problem in the community. How many children have to die before you could even get a tenth of the National response to one police killing? And I fucking know that police shootings are not the same-but they lift up every shitbag killed by police for fighting, fleeing, being armed and put the teddy bears and wear the t-shirts while no one really cares about some three year old getting shot enough to know their names. And I guess if you got the kind of response to gang violence that you did for Floyd, you are saying that kind of action wouldn’t do anything to stop gang violence then you are as lost as that community that refuses to do it. And my opinion as to why they won’t do it is because they are related to or know the people doing the shooting and they won’t turn on their own, so that is why it is accepted and they turn to a much smaller problem to lament over.

That's not the type of change that people are asking for. They are not asking for individual police departments to think about policies they may or may not implement 3 years from now. These are national stories. People want national action. People are looking for legislation from Washington, and higher standards across the board.
It doesn't matter if one of these shootings happen in LA, NY, Toledo, or somewhere in the sticks of Montana. People don't see the cops as individuals. They see a uniform, a job, a system. The anger from the community isn't just about these individual cases. It never is.
It's always about the system, the history, and the continual lack of action and accountability.
Make some REAL changes systemwide, and people will have a reason to put some of their faith back in to the system.

You are ignoring what the point of protests are. Protests are not for individuals and criminals. You can not protest a gang in your neighborhood. Where are you supposed to protest? In front of their crackhouse? In front of their gang lair? Criminals are not accountable to the public. All you're asking for is useless virtue signaling. People protest the police because they are an arm of the government, and people have power over the government.

A cop killing someone is always going to get more attention because we can hold a cop to account, and because a cop is supposed to be the good guy. I can not tweet, give speeches to, and do protests to gangs and other random killers.
And yeah, people don't snitch on each other out of fear. They fear getting killed by the gangs, and they don't trust police. And you're solution is for them to protest...in their own streets..in front of gang members houses. What could possibly go wrong?

Can we stop pretending like we don't understand why this shooting got the attention that it did?
It got the attention that it did because police shootings are what has been in the news for over a year, there is video footage of it, and because of the age and sex of Ma'Khia.
If another 15 year old black girl got shot by the cops tomorrow, it'd probably get even more attention. And it's going to keep getting attention until some kind of action is taken in regards to how policing is done.

That unfortunately means that every one of these cases gets lumped in together as being "bad shoots". I don't want that, but there is absolutely no discussion on WHY this is the way it has been. This is due to a complete lack of action and leadership. Instead of blaming protestors, there is no focus on the people that have the power to change things.
A simple, "Hey, we hear your concerns. We see there's an issue, and here's what we're going to do..." Where has that been? What mass, systemic, substantive changes have been put forth? There's nothing.
And people complain about them complaining when you did nothing to address their complaint.

Can you not admit that police killing civilians and criminals killing civilians are separate issues? Neither is good. But they aren't the same thing. Because they aren't the same thing, they don't have the same solutions.
There is nothing Al Sharpton or Lebron James can say to a gang member that is going to make them stop doing what they're doing. What is going to stop crime, is systemic changes that make those crimes less likely to occur.
Al Sharpton and Lebron James can put pressure on the government, on leaders, on systems--because those things have ways to be held into account by the public. They do not have that power over gangs. Gangs and criminals don't bend to tweets and pressure from dinosaurs of the past and celebrities.

Tweeting this out, and tweeting every time a black kid gets murdered does nothing more than make YOU feel good. What ends up happening is that it allows people to not focus on the root causes of these issues. It turns the conversation into the "black on black" crime argument, instead of the obvious and largely inevitable consequences of poverty, drugs, and lack of opportunities in urban environments.
Most importantly, Lebron is a basketball player. He isn't a terribly intelligent person. People need to stop looking to him to make sense of the world. (and by people, I mean conservatives. Leftys aren't doing things BECAUSE Lebron said so. He's just inarticulately echoing the feelings that a lot of people have)

Excellent post here, very well said. Thank you for that.

And it would be great if they could mobilize thousands and thousands of people to protest street violence, but they couldn’t and wouldn’t because they are afraid of admitting there is a serious problem in the community. How many children have to die before you could even get a tenth of the National response to one police killing? And I fucking know that police shootings are not the same-but they lift up every shitbag killed by police for fighting, fleeing, being armed and put the teddy bears and wear the t-shirts while no one really cares about some three year old getting shot enough to know their names.

So you know they aren't the same, but you keep lumping them into the same conversation as a way for you to "prove" that black people don't really care about black people...

Youre free to have your opinions, but these protests and disagreements will keep happening because you aren't trying to listen. You aren't even addressing what they're saying the problem is. You and the protestor are not talking about the same things.
You're talking about what issue is bigger--police crime or black on black crime, lebron tweets, who is being held up as a hero, and why didn't this guy just obey the cops' order?" Your focus is on all of this minor stuff that only really matters when talking about particular cases or culture war nonsense.
That stuff, is not what the core of this argument is about for the protestor.

You ask "Why didn't the guy just stop when the cop said stop?"
When the protestors are asking "Why did the cop stop him in the first place ? Why was there not more of an attempt to talk and calm the situation instead of shoulder rolling out of the car, barking orders and drawing guns? Why can't we have more social workers in the field? Why does the government spend so much money on police, while cutting education and putting no investment into our communities ?
These are different questions, that address the system--not what individuals and random departments across America do or don't do.
Your starting point of where the wrong occurred, is not the same starting point as the protestor, and you don't acknowledge that.

And do you think people in these communities don't know that there is a problem with gangs? That they dont' notice when their kids get killed? We know this problem exists. Fixing gang problems is fixing crime which is fixing poverty. These problems don't get fixed with tweets and pretty words.

You, like a lot of people that "think" like you just want to bitch and complain and point fingers, but don't care about solving problems or adding anything substantive to the conversation. You just care about your stupid bootstrap ideology.

At no point did I defend her actions---I said that our worst moments in life don't necessarily define who we are.
And what? A 16 year old's parents and environment have no effect on the person that they become? You're really going to plant your flag on that mountain of stupid? Next level retard take. The girl is ultimately responsible for her actions, but she also didn't get there by herself.

What the fuck does an Eric Harriss or a Dylan Kleibold have to do with THIS situation that we're talking about in this thread? Make a thread about them and tag me and i'll go respond in that thread about those people.

You're just obviously a partisan reactionary. Even when I write a post where I don't shit on the cops, agree that the right course of action happened, you still weren't satisfied and had to whine about a bunch of other nonsense that has nothing to do with this story.

So would agree that Stephen Paddock’s worst moment in life doesn’t define him? Or do you just give the benefit of doubt to certain people?

So would agree that Stephen Paddock’s worst moment in life doesn’t define him? Or do you just give the benefit of doubt to certain people?
I would personally argue that it's a spectrum and there's infinite nuance. Paddock clearly had some mental health issues and I believe had a catalyst in his life that caused him to break down mentally. But there's definitely a difference between premeditating the deaths of many innocent people and a teenage girl who isn't old enough to vote or consent having an emotional episode.

Both my parents and my sister have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My sister drew a knife on me around that same age. My grandmother pulled a knife on my mom as a child. I have a hard time judging a girl abandoned by her parents and growing up in foster care, she was probably dealing with her own mental issues that go back generations as well.

I think we can acknowledge things like this being consequences of the system while also holding people accountable for their actions.

So you know they aren't the same, but you keep lumping them into the same conversation as a way for you to "prove" that black people don't really care about black people...

Youre free to have your opinions, but these protests and disagreements will keep happening because you aren't trying to listen. You aren't even addressing what they're saying the problem is. You and the protestor are not talking about the same things.
You're talking about what issue is bigger--police crime or black on black crime, lebron tweets, who is being held up as a hero, and why didn't this guy just obey the cops' order?" Your focus is on all of this minor stuff that only really matters when talking about particular cases or culture war nonsense.
That stuff, is not what the core of this argument is about for the protestor.

You ask "Why didn't the guy just stop when the cop said stop?"
When the protestors are asking "Why did the cop stop him in the first place ? Why was there not more of an attempt to talk and calm the situation instead of shoulder rolling out of the car, barking orders and drawing guns? Why can't we have more social workers in the field? Why does the government spend so much money on police, while cutting education and putting no investment into our communities ?
These are different questions, that address the system--not what individuals and random departments across America do or don't do.
Your starting point of where the wrong occurred, is not the same starting point as the protestor, and you don't acknowledge that.

And do you think people in these communities don't know that there is a problem with gangs? That they dont' notice when their kids get killed? We know this problem exists. Fixing gang problems is fixing crime which is fixing poverty. These problems don't get fixed with tweets and pretty words.

We won’t agree. I am not running in circles with another poster for like the third day in a row. I have said for years that police training and priorities need to change. I tried to be that agent of change at my department before I retired. In the twelve years I was a defensive tactics and taser instructor-long before any of this shit began, I was telling guys to always behave like you are on camera and it will be watched by millions of people. Since 2005 I have been saying that. I have been saying that you don’t need to beat someone’s ass over a shoplifting, don’t take these things personal, check on your partner to make sure they are calm, stop another officer if they are no calm and under control. So I know things need to change.

what you are missing is that the black community is more worried about police killing a few here and there with many being justified. More worried about that than the incredible crime rates and thousands of murders. There are some small community projects and occasional peace march, but unless you paid people, you could never get them to care enough about some little girl being shot more than they care about some criminal getting shot by the police. They have “the talk” about what to do about police but they don’t have “a real talk” about getting shot in a drive-by or nightclub. 47 people shot, 7 killed in Chicago over the weekend and there is nothing being done-but hey, some armed person was shot-we have to mobilize and tell the cops to stop killing us. They identify more with an armed criminal more than they do with an innocent child shot in the crossfire. They get more worked up about jacob blake than they do hundreds of children murdered. It’s not even a blip on their radar.

I am not coming from the same place as a protester. Not even close. They are concerned about getting struck by lightening(the cops) when I am telling them that cars (gangs) are more dangerous but they want to rant about the storm while dancing in traffic. The truth is that they accept killings from within their community but highly object to someone else-the police- doing it.

I would personally argue that it's a spectrum and there's infinite nuance. Paddock clearly had some mental health issues and I believe had a catalyst in his life that caused him to break down mentally. But there's definitely a difference between premeditating the deaths of many innocent people and a teenage girl who isn't old enough to vote or consent having an emotional episode.

Both my parents and my sister have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. My sister drew a knife on me around that same age. My grandmother pulled a knife on my mom as a child. I have a hard time judging a girl abandoned by her parents and growing up in foster care, she was probably dealing with her own mental issues that go back generations as well.

I think we can acknowledge things like this being consequences of the system while also holding people accountable for their actions.
Most 15 year olds having an emotional episode means yelling at your parents/boyfriend, not being literally milliseconds from impaling another human being with a knife.
Its not normal, and calling it an emotional episode is like calling the black plague a mild cold.

Also its different drawing a knife on someone for attention than actually stabbing people with it. Had the cop not been there someone would have either died or been mutilated for life. The only one who should be held accountable for anything is this girls family for raising her wrong and the girl herself for trying to kill someone in front of a police officer, tho i guess the latter kind of took care of itself when it comes to being held accountable.

Most 15 year olds having an emotional episode means yelling at your parents/boyfriend, not being literally milliseconds from impaling another human being with a knife.
Its not normal, and calling it an emotional episode is like calling the black plague a mild cold.

Also its different drawing a knife on someone for attention than actually stabbing people with it. Had the cop not been there someone would have either died or been mutilated for life. The only one who should be held accountable for anything is this girls family for raising her wrong and the girl herself for trying to kill someone in front of a police officer, tho i guess the latter kind of took care of itself when it comes to being held accountable.
You're damn right it's not normal. It's not normal for a 15 year old girl to grow up in foster care because her family abandoned her. It's not normal for a girl to struggle with bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder because no one has the time or compassion to pay attention and get her the help she needs.

The girls family didn't seem to raise her at all. Part of the blame is absolutely on them. You never once saw me blaming the police officer for making that decision, I said from the beginning that it was an awful situation for him.

Basically what you're telling me is anyone with a mental illness is deserving of whatever comes their way. A 15 year old girl has a hard time understanding themselves without mental illness, even when they have parents supporting them. I don't make the assumption that she should know she needed help and it's on her to succeed in getting it. It was a tragic situation for everyone involved.

lol omg. So it’s the system’s fault for her parents abandoning her and her acting like an animal? How is this any different than an affluenza defense?

We won’t agree. I am not running in circles with another poster for like the third day in a row. I have said for years that police training and priorities need to change. I tried to be that agent of change at my department before I retired. In the twelve years I was a defensive tactics and taser instructor-long before any of this shit began, I was telling guys to always behave like you are on camera and it will be watched by millions of people. Since 2005 I have been saying that. I have been saying that you don’t need to beat someone’s ass over a shoplifting, don’t take these things personal, check on your partner to make sure they are calm, stop another officer if they are no calm and under control. So I know things need to change.

what you are missing is that the black community is more worried about police killing a few here and there with many being justified. More worried about that than the incredible crime rates and thousands of murders. There are some small community projects and occasional peace march, but unless you paid people, you could never get them to care enough about some little girl being shot more than they care about some criminal getting shot by the police. They have “the talk” about what to do about police but they don’t have “a real talk” about getting shot in a drive-by or nightclub. 47 people shot, 7 killed in Chicago over the weekend and there is nothing being done-but hey, some armed person was shot-we have to mobilize and tell the cops to stop killing us. They identify more with an armed criminal more than they do with an innocent child shot in the crossfire. They get more worked up about jacob blake than they do hundreds of children murdered. It’s not even a blip on their radar.

I am not coming from the same place as a protester. Not even close. They are concerned about getting struck by lightening(the cops) when I am telling them that cars (gangs) are more dangerous but they want to rant about the storm while dancing in traffic. The truth is that they accept killings from within their community but highly object to someone else-the police- doing it.

I'm not attacking your character or personal commitment to this. I've read plenty of your threads and posts. And while I often disagree with you, I think you're coming from a genuine place, and from what you've experienced.

But the problems here are not individual problems. And until there is an addressing of the system, people won't be satisfied with what one good cop like you did or didn't do' or what random departments in a town I don't live in are doing. So getting mad at protestors who haven't had their problems addressed doesn't make much sense to me.

We run in circles because you don't seem to recognize, or just can't admit that we are having separate conversations. It isn't a matter of what is bigger or smaller. (And you seem to think you're some type of psychic or expert on how black people really think, and what we talk about at home. :rolleyes:)
The problems of "the black community" and the problems of police reform are both real, and they are also separate problems. You say you know that, but then you keep bringing them up together.
The protestors are addressing one of those problems, but you keep trying to bring in the other one. The conversation will never go anywhere if the two parties aren't even talking about the same topic. It's just talking past one another to get out whatever beliefs you have out, but your'e not addressing my issue, and I'm not addressing yours. But the onus is on you to address my issue because it's my protest.
But yes, this is getting tedious, and I'm off to bed. Cheers.

You're damn right it's not normal. It's not normal for a 15 year old girl to grow up in foster care because her family abandoned her. It's not normal for a girl to struggle with bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorder because no one has the time or compassion to pay attention and get her the help she needs.

The girls family didn't seem to raise her at all. Part of the blame is absolutely on them. You never once saw me blaming the police officer for making that decision, I said from the beginning that it was an awful situation for him.

Basically what you're telling me is anyone with a mental illness is deserving of whatever comes their way. A 15 year old girl has a hard time understanding themselves without mental illness, even when they have parents supporting them. I don't make the assumption that she should know she needed help and it's on her to succeed in getting it. It was a tragic situation for everyone involved.
Mental illness is very multi faceted, but most of us dont run around trying to stab people to death.
While i do agree that its a tragic situation, shifting all the blame from the girl doing the stabbing is not the way forward. Calling it an emotional response is basicaly taking all personal responsibility away from her. People with mental disorders needs strict frames for their lives, not the opposite.

She was healthy enough to be put into a foster home so you would think she was at least "present". Time to highlight personal responsibility and consequences instead of copping out imo.

Her reaction didn’t seem normal- no reaction to the shooting, no crying or calling out. I would not be entirely surprised to find out this was planned and that they wanted to kill the officers. Maybe a stretch, but I am pretty sure she knew he had a gun.

Definitely seemed strange.

lol omg. So it’s the system’s fault for her parents abandoning her and her acting like an animal? How is this any different than an affluenza defense?
When it starts to become a statistical trend, you have to look at the system and the connections. The poor and working class are more likely to become single parents, they're more likely to have kids too young, they're more likely to have mental illness untreated because they can't afford a normal doctor let alone a psychiatrist.

You have immense wealth inequality in the US, an abysmal healthcare system, a lack of opportunity in many areas. That's just scratching the surface. There are many ways this case is tied to the system. Doesn't mean I'm saying there's a group of old white guys in a secret chamber wringing their hands at the thought of a 15 year old girl being shot to death, but there's a way to reduce situations like this by addressing root problems.

Mental illness is very multi faceted, but most of us dont run around trying to stab people to death.
While i do agree that its a tragic situation, shifting all the blame from the girl doing the stabbing is not the way forward. Calling it an emotional response is basicaly taking all personal responsibility away from her. People with mental disorders needs strict frames for their lives, not the opposite.

She was healthy enough to be put into a foster home so you would think she was at least "present". Time to highlight personal responsibility and consequences instead of copping out imo.
She's absolutely a victim of circumstance. There's a reason they separate legal cases with minors and adults, there's a reason they can't consent to sex, there's a reason they aren't trusted to vote. No one has any idea of what led to that incident, I'm sure she was guilty of plenty, but I'm not going to sit and pretend like anyone has the right to say she deserved it.

I also didn't know you had to earn your way in to foster care by being certifiably sound of mind. I figured there would be a higher chance for those kids to have mental issues considering their parents gave them up to begin with, often because of their own mental health struggles.

Back