Here is a counter argument...

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Fuller

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Getting strong period gets you pudz in a fight. Getting strong for grappling gets you brock lesnar. I know which one I prefer, just confused as to what others goals were.

And btw you had no reason to close that thread xtrainer. You just like to have the last word and cant hang in rational debate.

There is still no valid argument. Just because someone is strong doesn't mean they are a good fighter. You know how Lesnar is a "strong for grappling"? He has a 700+ lb deadlift and nearly 700 lb squat.

Getting strong period gets you pudz in a fight. Getting strong for grappling gets you brock lesnar. I know which one I prefer, just confused as to what others goals were.

And btw you had no reason to close that thread xtrainer. You just like to have the last word and cant hang in rational debate.

Acquiring SKILL in grappling gives you Brock Lesnar.

I think most people here lift for a combination of physique, strength and fighting.

23m7tjd.jpg

Why can't getting strong just be getting strong? Brock doesn't employ some secret lifting technique for fighters that Pudz isn't. They both got strong the same way: lifting heavy fucking weights, which is exactly what this forum is about.

So what's the difference in strength training between Brock and Pudz? They both Bench press. They both squat. They both deadlift. They both overhead press. See the trend?

Brock's got better conditioning. That's why he's able to grapple longer, and an extensive wrestling background prepares you for the strain grappling puts on your body, while Pudz doesn't have that.

Strength is measured by how many numbers are on the end of the barbell.

A straight power lifting routine is probably not the best routine for acquiring functional strength for MMA fighters and grapplers. Athletes from other sports don't follow a powerlifting routine for their respective sports, but they have access to professional strength and conditioning coaches. Now I don't fight MMA but, I do a lot of BJJ competitions and compete in the major tournaments i.e Pan Ams, Worlds. Since there is not much money in grappling and it is still in its infancy as a sport, there aren't any professional strength and conditioning coaches designing strength routines for BJJ. So it would be nice if this forum would be more concerned with developing routines for MMA and grappling since so few professional are devoting their time to the sport.

I know the FAQ says you just get stronger, but it is not like that thing was written by a professional strength and conditioning coach. Heck I don't even know who wrote that thing, so I don't see why it should be considered the gospel truth and the end of the discussion. It is mainly a newb guide anyway. If you are an experienced lifter there is not much in there of value and there is nothing sport specific in it either.

TS makes a valid point and his previous thread was one of the few quality topics in this forum, so I don't know why someone would close it.

I think most people here lift for a combination of physique, strength and fighting.

No most people lift cause they are sherdogers and to fit in you have to train for strength, then there are a good portion training for sports like mostly bjj, many who train for physique but don't come here since bodybuilding is looked down on and just a few training for mma, very few. That's just my take from it all. For me since I don't intend to be a fighter training for looks is the most beneficial, however I currently do starting strength and then will modify it to hypertrophy before the summer. Many regulars here seem to train for powerlifting and the rest just follows.

Many regulars here seem to train for powerlifting and the rest just follows.

I wouldn't mistake programs based on squat/dead/bench with "powerlifting". If people were training here for power lifting, you'd see a bigger emphasis on equipment and techniques for peaking around meets. I don't think there's more than a handful of people here who have ever competed in a meet, and even fewer who continue to compete regularly.

Main Point:

Obviously pro-MMA fighters don't do pro-powerlifting/olympic lifting routines. But they do need a base level of strength, and a powerlifting/olympic lifting routine is the fastest and best way to acquire that.

Subsidiary Point:
Once a base level has been achieved from what I have seen, most fighters will start focusing on other things. Endurance, explosive power whatever, so they cut those powerlifting elements down to maintenance.

Some fighters, ie, Brock Lesnar, really continue pushing the raw strength thing because they feel its a hallmark of their game. Whereas others want to maximise their potential in other areas they feel will be most beneficial. That decision comes down to a lot of things - physique, fighting style, yada yada.

ANYWAY! I do the 'reasonable approach to strength training for MMA' thing Glenn Pendlay wrote. I like the combination of strength and endurance and it allows me to recover for my 10+ hours spent skills training and plyos.

These might be of interest:

Strength Training For Mixed Martial Arts

First, we need to make sure that we include some kind of dynamic effort or speed training in each workout. This kind of training is comprised of various plyometric exercises, Olympic lifts and throws of all kinds.

Secondly, we need to improve maximal strength levels. This is done by incorporating heavy sets of 1-5 reps on big compound exercises such as squats and chin ups.

Next, for building muscle we need to use the repeated effort method which includes sets of 6-12 reps with both traditional and non traditional exercises.

Lastly, we need to increase our endurance levels by using the most effective conditioning methods available.

MMA Gym Strength Workouts - Mixed Martial Arts Weight Training for the Gym

First, an MMA fighter needs to be able to explode and needs POWER. So a good portion of the exercises that the MMA fighter must perform needs to focus on raw explosive powerful strength. The best exercises for this are Push Presses, Deadlifts, Squats, Chest Presses, High Pulls, Cleans, Snatches and the variations of these exercises.

Second, a fighter needs to have strength endurance. They need their muscles to be able to keep humming and working for them. A lot of these exercises can done in circuits in conjunction with grappling and MMA drills. You would incorporate more bodyweight exercises along with punching drills, sandbag exercises, high reps cleans and snatches, sprints, etc. The bodyweight training article has some good examples of some circuits you can do.

Lastly a fighter needs to know when to train and how often to train along with your regular MMA training. Typically most fighters train 5-6 days a week. Unless you are a pro-fighter and fighting all the time, most fighters still need to go to a job everyday so it becomes tough to fit in your grappling, boxing, and MMA training along with your strength training.

There are also a few "sample routines" in both links.

I wouldn't mistake programs based on squat/dead/bench with "powerlifting". If people were training here for power lifting, you'd see a bigger emphasis on equipment and techniques for peaking around meets. I don't think there's more than a handful of people here who have ever competed in a meet, and even fewer who continue to compete regularly.

Ok so most train just to get strong while I train to get muscular, both don't compete in MMA. Then why is one standard and the other forbidden ?

Because "training for looks" and "training to get muscular" are not performance-related goals, stupid.

Training to get stronger on a noob and intermediate level generally involves following cookie cutter programs such as 5x5, 5/3/1 and starting strength. Like the FAQ said there is no magical exercise. Also the reason Brock is better than Pudz is because he has wrestling technique. technique > strength in most cases but technique and strength > technique.

Also most guys that actually know about strength training to a decent level are either powerlifters olympic lifters or strongmen so of course there views and advice are going to come from what makes them better at their sport.

Anyone ever stop to think that brock has better trainers than pudz? poland is not exactly known for having world class mma camps.

Sorry, that argument falls flat.

You're arguing Pudz is a bad MMA fighter because he is strong? LOL.

He's a bad MMA fighter (relatively speaking) because of his lack of experience and practice in the wide MMA skill set. He just started MMA, dude. :icon_conf

His strength does not make him a worse fighter. Rather, it makes him a guy who can step into the cage with only one fight under his belt and beat a far more experienced (11-1) fighter.

Seriously, would you argue that they would even put a weak 1-0 fighter up against an 11-1? I'd venture to guess Pudz's strength may have factored into that match-up a bit...

If you can post a coherent argument as to how one can be "MMA strong" in any sense other than described in the stickies, I'll be happy to hear you out.

Starting a thread with absolutely no argument and a potshot at me will not fly, however...here's a tip for "rational debating," since you seem to be really into it: Starting out with an ad hominem attack is not a good idea.

Since, apparently, I need to explicitly this to avoid people making troll threads...

Yes, James is more than welcome to start a new thread and try again, provided he does not start that thread with a personal attack on me.

I think that is quite reasonable.

But, I've been accused of being an unreasonable/irrational person so what do I know?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back