Herb Dean's "pat on the back" in Cain/JDS III

looks like hes about to stop it to me. first of all he runs in and away from where he would go to see or stop a fence grab. second if he wanted to stop the fence grab he should have just yelled because he was out of position or circled back and slapped his hand

herbs a good ref but running in and putting his hands on cain at that point and in that way was a mistake. it didnt matter but it still was a mistake imo

Refs sometimes hit fighters hands while telling them to let go of the fence.

If Herb was about to stop the fight, he would have grabbed Cain's shoulder's, not tap on it. Grabbing the shoulder would have made Cain think that the fight was over, tapping it would be different.

He was probably going to put his right arm over Cains right shoulder and his left arm under Cains left arm and clasp his hands together and pull Cain backwards, but he decided against it half way and only the right hand went and stayed.

I still dont see what this has to do with anything because even if he was trying to tell him not to hold the fence it has nothing to do with the fight. So in that regard this thread is essentially about nothing.

What are you so annoyed about? This thread is about something, it's about opening the eyes of people like you who think it was obviously a near fight stoppage. I'm saying the fight wasn't close to being stopped, like 90% of the forum seems to take for granted.

I don't understand how that isn't an appropriate topic for discussion. This is a thread about an action that occurred within the cage during a fight involving two UFC fighters and the discussion that has formed around it. OK?

Although it's moot, I'm all for facts and corrections. Thanks, TS. Great eye.

In retrospect, hats off to Cain. I was rooting for Cigano, but I'm thankful Cain won. Regardless of how it ended, Cain was dominating that fight, and I don't even care about this "wall and stall" outcry. Cain fought smart, and he stayed active. He was constantly using dirty boxing and looking to wear JDS out. I think it's also worth noting that I'm glad the HW champion has a solid chin. He actually took a couple of bombs from JDS and stayed in it. This fight was great. More or less like the 2nd fight, albeit somewhat more competitive, but still a great fight amongst the two best.

Cain is the best, hands-down it's settled now. Sick pace/cardio/tenacity.

JDS proves to have a granite chin and heart yet again, I don't know anyone besides Cain who could stop him.

Hope to see these two continue to go at it over the years, hopefully with JDS working on some holes and habits. The more well-rounded fighter won, and that should be the case in MIXED martial arts.

What are you so annoyed about? This thread is about something, it's about opening the eyes of people like you who think it was obviously a near fight stoppage. I'm saying the fight wasn't close to being stopped, like 90% of the forum seems to take for granted.

I don't understand how that isn't an appropriate topic for discussion. This is a thread about an action that occurred within the cage during a fight involving two UFC fighters and the discussion that has formed around it. OK?

I'm not annoyed, I just dont understand what you're trying to accomplish. Like okay so he wasnt going to stop the fight? So what? Why does it matter that he wasnt going to stop the fight?

EDIT: I mean if you're just pointing it out and thats it then fair enough.

I'm not annoyed, I just dont understand what you're trying to accomplish. Like okay so he wasnt going to stop the fight? So what? Why does it matter that he wasnt going to stop the fight?

EDIT: I mean if you're just pointing it out and thats it then fair enough.

I am pointing it out and asking others if they agree or disagree with me. Pretty standard format for a forum. I'm not trying to accomplish anything other than have a discussion, which is all a "UFC Discussion" forum is meant to accomplish. Will it "change anything," as in will it affect the outcome of the fight? No. But no thread on Sherdog about any topic will do that, but we discuss regardless.

good spot!
herb ran to that side because this fight could've been over within any second there.
but that reaching with his right arm really seemed all about warning him for the fence.

i thought it should've been stopped watching but as junior survived and
still had a shot at winning i changed my mind. stopping it there would get critized a lot
more, rather than this definite outcome ( more cain dominating the further rounds,
than the faceplant )

If you slow that gif down, you can see Cain's hand on the fence. The fight should have been stopped anyways, no way JDS was gonna win and taking that kind of punishment he will not fight much longer.

I am pointing it out and asking others if they agree or disagree with me. Pretty standard format for a forum. I'm not trying to accomplish anything other than have a discussion, which is all a "UFC Discussion" forum is meant to accomplish. Will it "change anything," as in will it affect the outcome of the fight? No. But no thread on Sherdog about any topic will do that, but we discuss regardless.

Maybe I've been on here too long, I feel like most threads always end with an "end game" of sorts.

But if it's just pointing it out then thats cool and on that point I dont really think thats what happened, but I could be wrong. I guess I don't really care what really happened because it's moot to the fight.

Wow good eyes. I agree 100%. Not sure why people are freaking out, it doesn't really mean anything other than Herb is a boss.

Herb was like "Use this hand more, the right one!" as he cheered Cain on.

The fight was clearly fixed, a normal referee would have stopped it but this was all Cain's sadistic plan to beat JDS up for 5 more rounds. We all remember him saying how he didn't even want to finish JDS in the first rematch.

Luckily Cigano found a way out buy diving head first and knocking himself out.

I think that TWO things were going on there:

1) JDS got badly rocked, which necessitated that Herb Dean quickly get close to the fighters and be ready to stop the bout; and

2) he noticed Cain grabbing the fence and tapped him to let go, while at the same time deciding to let the fight continue.

Good eye, TS.

man first time i actually pitied a fighter. round 3 of cain/JDS 3 will forever be in my mind.

yeah i agree ts

and i also think that it looked even more awkward because herb was running around to get a better look at jds who was falling down and getting up, and then he noticed what may have been a fence grab by cain, imho seeing that gif

Good eye. I wasn't sure what Herb was doing. But i've seen him ref enough that whatever he was doing, i am sure it was reasonable.

It was definitely the fence grab.

or at the very least he thought JDS was hurt more than he actually was.

Back