Media Herb Dean just stopped a fight with 0.5 seconds left in the 1st round

Chitaouri

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Herb continues to fuck up.

come on man, those were not heavy shots. Those russians are tough motherfuckers, let him go to his corner for fucks sake and see what he does next round. I like the herb too but Herb smokes too much of it i think.

I get the frustration since it was a TKO, but Herb isn't counting down the clock. He's just jumping in when he feels the fight should be stopped.

Nah that's a decent call imo

The time in the round shouldn't matter

come on man, those were not heavy shots. Those russians are tough motherfuckers, let him go to his corner for fucks sake and see what he does next round. I like the herb too but Herb smokes too much of it i think.

I view the bell as irrelevant. I understand that he bell has saved a of people. But if a fight should be stopped....it shouldn't matter when it comes. That said, I only skipped to the end so I didn't watch this whole fight. So i'm not arguing that the stoppage was necessary. I'm arguing if a fight should be stopped, time is irrelevant.

Nah, Herb told him to fight back and he covered up. Justified stoppage.

terrible

He's even intelligently defending himself by blocking exactly where the shots are coming from
Also when Herb yells "fight back" he pushes the guys knee with his foot to try create a scramble

Now, I think Herb's stoppages are wildly inconsistent, so don't take this as a defense of Dean, but do you really think refs ought to take the nationality of fighters into consideration when stopping fights?

Personally, I think refs should pay no mind to the clock when it comes to stoppages. It's a manner of allowing fighters to be saved by the bell.

Timing is irrelevant. Fans make up rules as it pleases them.

B-b-bb--b-but.. Herb Dean is the gold standard guys

I get the frustration since it was a TKO, but Herb isn't counting down the clock. He's just jumping in when he feels the fight should be stopped.
i know but he heard the ten seconds count ten seconds ago..

Refisn’t supposed to consider the time left. I stand with Herb.

Amazing discipline. That Herb is amazing. You do know the clock is not supposed to be a factor whatsoever as to when or if the fight is stopped, so Kudos to Herb.....was this an appreciation thread?

Close enough.

Not a good call by any means but not terrible either. The .5 seconds left in the round doesn't matter, referees aren't supposed to pay attention to the time.

thats my point. The guy on his back wasnt even hurt that bad, he was just lifting his arms to cover up, because thats the best thing to do when you know the round is about to end. What should he have done? punch back like a retard from there knowing that would only open him for a unneccessary big elbow which could cut him badly and affect the fight?

This. His job is not to watch the clock.

Close enough.

Not a good call by any means but not terrible either. The .5 seconds left in the round doesn't matter, referees aren't supposed to pay attention to the time.
Agree and disagree. Context should matter. If one fighter is actively defending and there's 1 second left in the round I think there should be some benefit of the doubt being given out by the ref. Stopping it right there makes it look like Herb has money on the fight.

Back