Henry Golden Boy vs. Henry .22lr pump

leto1776

Sherdog Wet Shaver
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide on a Christmas gift for my mother. She always admired Annie Oakley as a kid. Doing some research, Annie was known to shoot both lever and pump action .22lr.

1. Anyone have experience with either?
2. Preference?
3. Thoughts on Henry Repeating Arms in general?

Get her a the lever action to give her that real Old West experience. Henry Repeating Arms are usually pretty solid, though the only models I've had my hands on are from the late 90's when they were established.

Though most photos of Annie Oakley around she's holding a double barrel shotgun.

I have a older Rossi Gallery Gun pump .22, one of my favorites to shoot.

The Henry is solid, it just pumps the wrong way for me. I love the octagon barrel, tho.

I have a older Rossi Gallery Gun pump .22, one of my favorites to shoot.

The Henry is solid, it just pumps the wrong way for me. I love the octagon barrel, tho.
Is it the short stroke of the pump you don’t like?

I own a Golden Boy in .22LR and while it's one of my favourite guns, I also tend to baby it the most. If I had the Frontier Octagon, I'd probably wouldn't mind a few dings, but the Golden Boy is just too pretty.

Also, the Golden Boy has quite a bit of drop in the comb, if that matters.

Lever action. Theres an iconic old article where a gent fired 28,000 rounds as fast as he could through one. Only had to replace a trigger spring if I recall correctly. Article was in Guns of the Old West, guy is active on forums too if you want to look it up.

Lever action as that's the iconic Western rifle look.

Seeing this reminds me I kind of want to get my dad a .44 Magnum Henry someday.

When they make a side loading Big Boy in .357, I'm buying that shit immediately.

I’m tempted to pick up a Marlin SBL (in 357 or 44 Mag) they just look so damn nice IMO

lever for sure

Trying to decide on a Christmas gift for my mother. She always admired Annie Oakley as a kid. Doing some research, Annie was known to shoot both lever and pump action .22lr.

1. Anyone have experience with either?
2. Preference?
3. Thoughts on Henry Repeating Arms in general?

This my 9 year old son's Golden Boy .22 S/L/LR. He had his choice for a new rifle a few years back and this is what he chose.
He really likes it and I use it occasionally for fun as well. It has a smooth action, a real nice trigger and it's accurate.

I say get the lever action. When she pulls this from the box she'll be awestruck and when she uses it, she'll be hooked. She
could even have some engraving done on the receiver eventually.

full

Also, you can get her one of the Brass Stacker no drill harnessed slings with the bandolier.
full

https://brassstacker.com/No-Drill-Harnessed-Rifle-Sling-HENRY.html
https://brassstacker.com/Cartridge-Bandolier.html

Last edited:
Back