Henry Cejudo might vacate FW title to move BW, may take a break from UFC if not paid ‘like a legend'

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Oct 9, 2019.

1. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Black Belt

Really? What is the Market Value of a fighter? Answer that.

How much money would Henry Cejudo make if he went out and self promoted himself? Because that's the true market value of him.

What you are missing, is the Market Value of the UFC Brand.

beelzeboner, TheNinja and 560ti like this.
  2. magicmarker

magicmarker Brown Belt

They won’t cut him, more than likely they would trade him instead. Far less blowback that way.

3. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

I think what you are others aren't realizing is that whatever the UFC is willing to pay is what the "market value" is for the fighter. I can say my car has a market value of $75k but if nobody is willing to pay that then that isn't the market value. By it's very definition market value is whatever the value the market is willing to pay for something or someone.

For the record I think it's extremely unfair and the fighters are getting screw by the UFC b/c there isn't much competition. But the reality is what it is right now

lsa and Ronin13 like this.
  4. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

If there were other organizations with buying power even close to the UFC, the wages would increase. FACT.

Ronin13 and TheNinja like this.
  5. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

But the market value set by the UFC is inherently deflated because there is effectively only one company with buying power. The UFC setting market wage is not a fair market wage.

TheNinja likes this.
  6. Mahkor

Mahkor Drunkmaster Flex

Take a fight, do huge numbers and you will get paid accordanly, I don't get this gameplan of sitting out until the UFC change their mind, Dana will just make an interim title fight and move on.

7. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Black Belt

I agree. That can be said from many many industries and companies and products.

Why are you only joining a charge to communist takeover the UFC?

lsa likes this.
  8. drbolony

drbolony -El Styles-

So much for saving the flyweights.

9. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

What's laughable is you talking about simple economic principles, and then not being able to understand one of the first things you learn in a macroeconomics 101 class.

10. yookfarb

yookfarb Red Belt

Exactly, if there is ever going to be a fighters union then you need p4p fighters like Cejudo that are willing to take a stand.

He might not be a star, but those championship belts are leverage. Like I said, they cannot cut him without blowback or it ruins the legitimacy of the sport... and that "legitimacy" imo is still the UFC's main selling point. The best fighting the best. That is what the UFC represents and why it is more popular than boxing in America. And everyone knows Cejudo is the best because of the UFC belts he earned

they already did that with MM and that was the only "trade" of it's kind in MMA history and it was also him coming off a loss

lsa likes this.
  11. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Black Belt

It will be if people start refusing to accept the contracts they offer.

Nobody has to be an MMA fighter. I'm not, you're not. It's not a damn prison sentence to not be an MMA Fighter. People stop accepting their offers, and the offers will go up.

lsa and TheNinja like this.
  12. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

Im not. The UFC pays fighters below their true worth, because they are a monopsony in the labor market. I want other organizations to arise naturally without government interference, so that there will be competition to sign fighters.

13. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

I think we might be trying to say the same thing but are splitting hairs on the definition or market wage or market value. I define the market value as the value that the market will pay for something or someone. However you make a good point about "fair market wage". Fair could definitely be debated in the fact that the UFC flexes it's muscles and lowballs fighters based on the amount of money they make vs what they give back to a fighter.
    So I think the fighters don't always get what is fair but unfortunately they are getting whatever the market will bear. Supply and Demand basically.

stipeszn likes this.
  14. Regal Boy

Regal Boy Yellow Belt

1W9BKljE.jpg
    Times up, Dana...

Mr.Maelstrom and yookfarb like this.
  15. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Black Belt

You're the one not understanding.

16. stipeszn

stipeszn Blue Belt

Agreed. The fact that the UFC essentially has no competition however inherently lowers the market value below what it would be in a healthy and competitive market.

17. 560ti

560ti Brown Belt

Welcome to majority of the real world businesses.

lsa and BoD 2.0 like this.
  18. pick999

pick999 Silver Belt

By legend you mean getting koed by dj and getting a lucky decision sure

19. BoD 2.0

BoD 2.0 Black Belt

What is Henry Cejudo's "true worth"?

lsa and TheNinja like this.
  20. TheNinja

TheNinja Gold Belt

And they need to do this en masse for it to be effective or get their top 50 fighters, for example, to do it. Unfortunately they aren't likely to do it b/c they are the ones making money. It would be a big risk and a big potential loss of money for them to go on strike in a sense. It's the relative unknowns that don't make any good money and if they threaten to leave, Dana and Co. will wave them goodbye and sign someone else in their place.