Henry Cejudo might vacate FW title to move BW, may take a break from UFC if not paid ‘like a legend'

The only one that doesn't understand simple economic principles is you. The UFC is a monopsonistic employer, and therefore sets the market wage. The economic principles at play literally make the fighters wages inherently below market value.
Really? What is the Market Value of a fighter? Answer that.

How much money would Henry Cejudo make if he went out and self promoted himself? Because that's the true market value of him.

What you are missing, is the Market Value of the UFC Brand.

Who forces any full grown athlete to play any sport?

Nobody... but they still have the right to negotiate, unionize and "fight" for what they think they deserve

Henry has leverage and he should use it. The UFC cannot cut him and dissolve 2 divisions without there being major blowback
They won’t cut him, more than likely they would trade him instead. Far less blowback that way.

The only one that doesn't understand simple economic principles is you. The UFC is a monopsonistic employer, and therefore sets the market wage. The economic principles at play literally make the fighters wages inherently below market value.

I think what you are others aren't realizing is that whatever the UFC is willing to pay is what the "market value" is for the fighter. I can say my car has a market value of $75k but if nobody is willing to pay that then that isn't the market value. By it's very definition market value is whatever the value the market is willing to pay for something or someone.

For the record I think it's extremely unfair and the fighters are getting screw by the UFC b/c there isn't much competition. But the reality is what it is right now

Really? What is the Market Value of a fighter? Answer that.

How much money would Henry Cejudo make if he went out and self promoted himself? Because that's the true market value of him.

What you are missing, is the Market Value of the UFC Brand.
If there were other organizations with buying power even close to the UFC, the wages would increase. FACT.

I think what you are others aren't realizing is that whatever the UFC is willing to pay is what the "market value" is for the fighter. I can say my car has a market value of $75k but if nobody is willing to pay that then that isn't the market value. By it's very definition market value is whatever the value the market is willing to pay for something or someone.

For the record I think it's extremely unfair and the fighters are getting screw by the UFC b/c there isn't much competition. But the reality is what it is right now
But the market value set by the UFC is inherently deflated because there is effectively only one company with buying power. The UFC setting market wage is not a fair market wage.

Take a fight, do huge numbers and you will get paid accordanly, I don't get this gameplan of sitting out until the UFC change their mind, Dana will just make an interim title fight and move on.

If there were other organizations with buying power even close to the UFC, the wages would increase. FACT.
I agree. That can be said from many many industries and companies and products.

Why are you only joining a charge to communist takeover the UFC?

So much for saving the flyweights.

Lol the idea of this is actually laughable. Ok, go Champion for UFC Fighters to be paid more. I wish you luck. I guaruntee the majority, if not all, of your friends and family feel they are underpaid also. But fuck them right? Let's just run to the rescue of UFC Fighters. Who are lucky enough to play a sport for a living, and have the ability to prove themselves consistently and renegotiate.
What's laughable is you talking about simple economic principles, and then not being able to understand one of the first things you learn in a macroeconomics 101 class.

You can't compare the UFC to NBA or NFL. First of all the amount of money the NBA and NFL make is MILES beyond what the UFC brings in. Secondly all the major sports leagues in the US have players unions. I'm not generally for unions but the NBA players' union is extremely powerful and they negotiatate everything with the owners. They actually have the power for a work stoppage or to have all the players go on strike (which has happened in all major leagues if I recall correctly).

The fighters are basically independent contractors. Until they figure out a way to band together in a union of sorts or figure out a way to start up a legit competitor to the UFC things won't change much. If a few of the UFC fighters go on strike (kind of like Diaz did and GSP in a sense) the UFC will jsut find people to take there spot and there is no shorter of "replacements" willing to come into the UFC and fight in their place.

Exactly, if there is ever going to be a fighters union then you need p4p fighters like Cejudo that are willing to take a stand.

He might not be a star, but those championship belts are leverage. Like I said, they cannot cut him without blowback or it ruins the legitimacy of the sport... and that "legitimacy" imo is still the UFC's main selling point. The best fighting the best. That is what the UFC represents and why it is more popular than boxing in America. And everyone knows Cejudo is the best because of the UFC belts he earned

They won’t cut him, more than likely they would trade him instead. Far less blowback that way.

they already did that with MM and that was the only "trade" of it's kind in MMA history and it was also him coming off a loss

But the market value set by the UFC is inherently deflated because there is effectively only one company with buying power. The UFC setting market wage is not a fair market wage.
It will be if people start refusing to accept the contracts they offer.

Nobody has to be an MMA fighter. I'm not, you're not. It's not a damn prison sentence to not be an MMA Fighter. People stop accepting their offers, and the offers will go up.

I agree. That can be said from many many industries and companies and products.

Why are you only joining a charge to communist takeover the UFC?
Im not. The UFC pays fighters below their true worth, because they are a monopsony in the labor market. I want other organizations to arise naturally without government interference, so that there will be competition to sign fighters.

I think we might be trying to say the same thing but are splitting hairs on the definition or market wage or market value. I define the market value as the value that the market will pay for something or someone. However you make a good point about "fair market wage". Fair could definitely be debated in the fact that the UFC flexes it's muscles and lowballs fighters based on the amount of money they make vs what they give back to a fighter.
So I think the fighters don't always get what is fair but unfortunately they are getting whatever the market will bear. Supply and Demand basically.

What's laughable is you talking about simple economic principles, and then not being able to understand one of the first things you learn in a macroeconomics 101 class.
You're the one not understanding.

I think we might be trying to say the same thing but are splitting hairs on the definition or market wage or market value. I define the market value as the value that the market will pay for something or someone. However you make a good point about "fair market wage". Fair could definitely be debated in the fact that the UFC flexes it's muscles and lowballs fighters based on the amount of money they make vs what they give back to a fighter.
So I think the fighters don't always get what is fair but unfortunately they are getting whatever the market will bear. Supply and Demand basically.
Agreed. The fact that the UFC essentially has no competition however inherently lowers the market value below what it would be in a healthy and competitive market.

Welcome to majority of the real world businesses.

By legend you mean getting koed by dj and getting a lucky decision sure

It will be if people start refusing to accept the contracts they offer.

Nobody has to be an MMA fighter. I'm not, you're not. It's not a damn prison sentence to not be an MMA Fighter. People stop accepting their offers, and the offers will go up.

And they need to do this en masse for it to be effective or get their top 50 fighters, for example, to do it. Unfortunately they aren't likely to do it b/c they are the ones making money. It would be a big risk and a big potential loss of money for them to go on strike in a sense. It's the relative unknowns that don't make any good money and if they threaten to leave, Dana and Co. will wave them goodbye and sign someone else in their place.

Back