Henry Cejudo might vacate FW title to move BW, may take a break from UFC if not paid ‘like a legend'

Are you dumb? Look at boxers.. even when they don’t sell as many ppvs as MMA fighters. They get paid about 5 times as much. They’re worth about 5x as much as what the UFC currently pays them and Henry isnt even asking for that much.. good for him.
Am I dumb? No, I'm an adult and understand how the world works. Are you dumb?

These fighters CHOOSE to sign a contract with the UFC. They have the freedom to say NO, if the amount isn't enough.
Then the UFC will either say, that is all we think you are worth, OR they will come back with a higher offer.

Do you have friends or family? Do they work? Have jobs? If they do, the process worked in a very similar way I'm sure.

I'm not even going to get into the difference between what boxers get paid and what UFC fighters get paid.

But, the UFC itself is a brand and an attraction. That is why the low level fighters and even mid-level fighters aren't as highly valued. Because having them on the card or not, doesn't impact revenue at all.

As a whole, ufc fighters are paid 10-15% of the company's total revenue as opposed to the nfl and nba which are almost at 50%...

Do you really think ufc fighters should just sit back and accept this as reality? They arent just worth what someone is willing to pay... you CAN be worth what someone MUST pay you or is FORCED to pay you... as often seen in other sports.
Who is forcing any UFC fighter to fight in the UFC?

“Eventually I do have to leave a belt,” Cejudo told ESPN. “It’s stressful having to hold up two weight divisions. I don’t want that stress on me. So I am gonna have to choose and both weight classes... 135 seems more appetizing to be quite honest with you. There’s just more color, you don’t have to cut as much weight, but there is a loss on my record against Joe and that stings a little bit.”

“I’ve got two belts. I know what Daniel (Cormier) makes. I don’t want to get into it because it’s a conversation I’m gonna have to have with my boss and the organization,” Cejudo continued. “I’m a legend man, and I’ve got to start hitting those numbers like a legend. My legacy is written and it’s still being written. To say, at least, I want a number. I want a number and there’s options in there for me. Take a break from the sport...”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

henry your not dc so saying you are will only mean your trolling people.

It depends how much he's asking for, but the man is a 2 division champion and olympic gold medallist.

All jokes aside he deserves to be paid well.

Who is forcing any UFC fighter to fight in the UFC?

Who forces any full grown athlete to play any sport?

Nobody... but they still have the right to negotiate, unionize and "fight" for what they think they deserve

Henry has leverage and he should use it. The UFC cannot cut him and dissolve 2 divisions without there being major blowback

Funny when Anik called him the King of Cringe on the last PPV broadcast lmao

Consecutive wins over DJ, Dillashaw, and Moraes.

Nobody in MMA right now has faced a more difficult run.
Its crazy. 5 years ago when he was fighting for Legacy FC I thought he was kinda of a clown and not taking anything seriously (missed weight multiple times, didn't show up to the weigh ins for one of his fights because "uhh i was stuck in Houston traffic").

I'm blown away at how much he's not only evolved but accomplished since then

Do these MMA fighters not understand simple economics principles?

There is no conspiracy or evil plan to underpay them. If they were worth what they think they're worth, the UFC would pay them it.

That's not true though. The document dump from the anti-trust suit shows that they're paying a far lower percentage of revenue than what boxing promoters do.

You see top level boxers who aren't big draws getting paid millions to fight on ESPN+ and DAZN cards that do worse numbers than the average UFC card.

Who forces any full grown athlete to play any sport?

Nobody... but they still have the right to negotiate, unionize and "fight" for what they think they deserve

Henry has leverage and he should use it. The UFC cannot cut him and dissolve 2 divisions without there being major blowback
UFC fighters have a right to negotiate. When they sign their CONTRACTS.

And why does there have to be blowback? What the hell is this shit? They are a private company lol They have the right to do whatever they want. If they cut Henry, Henry then can go on the open market. And if he's worth what he thinks, Bellator will scoop him up and pay him.

You aren't allowed in this world to come up with some imaginary worth, and then force a company to pay you it.

That's not true though. The document dump from the anti-trust suit shows that they're paying a far lower percentage of revenue than what boxing promoters do.

You see top level boxers who aren't big draws getting paid millions to fight on ESPN+ and DAZN cards that do worse numbers than the average UFC card.
What is your point though? I know boxers get paid more on a percentage basis. There are reasons for that though.

I'm missing the point. UFC is a business. They operate in a free market. By the laws of supply and demand. If having Fighter A on a Card doesn't impact how much revenue that card will generate, then what is the real monetary worth of that fighter? You have to pay something, but this is a business dude.

What is your point though? I know boxers get paid more on a percentage basis. There are reasons for that though.

I'm missing the point. UFC is a business. They operate in a free market. By the laws of supply and demand. If having Fighter A on a Card doesn't impact how much revenue that card will generate, then what is the real monetary worth of that fighter? You have to pay something, but this is a business dude.

LOL Uhhh...no dude. The MMA world is basically a monopsony. Look it up.

If the Ali act applied to MMA, they'd be legally obligated to pay out a larger percentage of revenue to the fighters. This can't be disputed.

Granted, nobody is forcing them to participate in this sport, but that doesn't mean that the playing field is fair.

There is no conspiracy or evil plan to underpay them. If they were worth what they think they're worth, the UFC would pay them it.
yeah, because that's how monopolies work, right?

the vast majority of UFC events cover the entire card's fighter pay with the event's gate revenue alone. the UFC had been sold for 4 billion dollars, the largest deal for any sport entity in history. fighter pay should reflect that.

UFC fighters have a right to negotiate. When they sign their CONTRACTS.

And why does there have to be blowback? What the hell is this shit? They are a private company lol They have the right to do whatever they want. If they cut Henry, Henry then can go on the open market. And if he's worth what he thinks, Bellator will scoop him up and pay him.

You aren't allowed in this world to come up with some imaginary worth, and then force a company to pay you it.

and even if they are in a contract, they are allowed to withhold their services and hold the UFC ransom which is what Henry is doing... if the UFC was confident that there would be no blowback if they cut the rightful double champion and #3 p4p fighter in the world then they would've already done it

But if they did pull off such a move... the media would tear the UFC apart day after day with headlines denouncing them for being crooked whether it's fair or not

Am I dumb? No, I'm an adult and understand how the world works. Are you dumb?

These fighters CHOOSE to sign a contract with the UFC. They have the freedom to say NO, if the amount isn't enough.
Then the UFC will either say, that is all we think you are worth, OR they will come back with a higher offer.

Do you have friends or family? Do they work? Have jobs? If they do, the process worked in a very similar way I'm sure.

I'm not even going to get into the difference between what boxers get paid and what UFC fighters get paid.

But, the UFC itself is a brand and an attraction. That is why the low level fighters and even mid-level fighters aren't as highly valued. Because having them on the card or not, doesn't impact revenue at all.

This man gets it. Yes I wish fighters would get paid more but unfortunately that's the way the business works. The UFC tries to make as much money as possible and pay their fighters as little as possible......or moreso they pay their figthers for what the believe they are worth to the company. If the UFC thinks Cejudo is worth $250k per fight, then that's what he is worth to the UFC. Cejudo can talk about being paid as a legend all he wants and I get it from his point of view. but this is the free market and if he doesn't like the UFC's offer then he's free to go somewhere else. It's the same as my job and my business. My company will pay me what they think I'm worth.

Now of course there should be some mutual respect between employer and employee and that does wonders for both sides in negotiations and how hard you work for your company. You don't want to make it a me vs them type workplace.

The only one that doesn't understand simple economic principles is you. The UFC is a monopsonistic employer, and therefore sets the market wage. The economic principles at play literally make the fighters wages inherently below market value.

This dude is flatout ducking JoeB lmao

he hasnt mentioned his name once in the past year........itd be a bad look if he stays at 135 and doesnt fight him again

As a whole, ufc fighters are paid 10-15% of the company's total revenue as opposed to the nfl and nba which are almost at 50%...

Do you really think ufc fighters should just sit back and accept this as reality? They arent just worth what someone is willing to pay... you CAN be worth what someone MUST pay you or is FORCED to pay you... as often seen in other sports.

You can't compare the UFC to NBA or NFL. First of all the amount of money the NBA and NFL make is MILES beyond what the UFC brings in. The Cowboys, Patriots, and Lakers are each worth as much or more than the UFC alone. Secondly all the major sports leagues in the US have players unions. I'm not generally for unions but the NBA players' union is extremely powerful and they negotiatate everything with the owners. They actually have the power for a work stoppage or to have all the players go on strike (which has happened in all major leagues if I recall correctly).

The fighters are basically independent contractors. Until they figure out a way to band together in a union of sorts or figure out a way to start up a legit competitor to the UFC things won't change much. If a few of the UFC fighters go on strike (kind of like Diaz did and GSP in a sense) the UFC will jsut find people to take there spot and there is no shorter of "replacements" willing to come into the UFC and fight in their place.

LOL Uhhh...no dude. The MMA world is basically a monopsony. Look it up.

If the Ali act applied to MMA, they'd be legally obligated to pay out a larger percentage of revenue to the fighters. This can't be disputed.

Granted, nobody is forcing them to participate in this sport, but that doesn't mean that the playing field is fair.
Lol the idea of this is actually laughable. Ok, go Champion for UFC Fighters to be paid more. I wish you luck. I guaruntee the majority, if not all, of your friends and family feel they are underpaid also. But fuck them right? Let's just run to the rescue of UFC Fighters. Who are lucky enough to play a sport for a living, and have the ability to prove themselves consistently and renegotiate.

Back