Hendricks vs Lawler: Who really won?

limejuicepowder

White Belt
Reaction score
I just got the opportunity the other day to watch this fight again, and as is usually the case with 2nd viewings, I was better able to watch technique and detail with a critical eye. The conclusion I came to was this one: I'd like to see the judging criteria changed. I'd like to the entire fight to be judged as a whole, rather than breaking it up in to rounds.

Breaking the scoring in to blocks of time creates an artificial stop to the fight - it's as if the fighters are fighting 3 or 5 separate fights, and the overall winner bring the one who wins a majority of the mini-fights. This creates an incentive to push only hard enough to win 2 or 3 rounds, then coast. I feel this encourages a strategy of gamesmanship, or exploitation of the rules, rather than true combat.

(disclaimer: I realize that subs and KO's make this an imperfect analogy, but the basic point stands. Also, if two fighters of very similar, and high, ability are facing off, the chances of a finish are (probably) diminished. This means title fights are more like to be affected by this).

To get back to Hendricks vs Lawler: I feel confident in saying that if this fight was judged as a whole, Lawler won. He landed more head shots, more effective punching combinations, and most importantly, was a lot closer to finishing Hendricks than Hendricks ever got to finishing Lawler. But because Hendricks tactically stuck to a strategy where he had an "advantage" in 3 of 5 rounds, he gets the decision. He won using the rules, essentially, while I think it's pretty obvious that Lawler won the fight.

I had Lawler but it was close. A sloppy take down should not count as winning the fight.
Similar to the fight between Jackson and Mo. Jackson was trying to fight when the other was pretty good at leaning and lying.

The rounds were as clear as they can be. 3-2 Hendricks.

I had Lawler but it was close. A sloppy take down should not count as winning the fight.
Similar to the fight between Jackson and Mo. Jackson was trying to fight when the other was pretty good at leaning and lying.

Hendricks was winning the 5th without the take down.

This fight wasn't decided by a take down.

I don't get the Lawler won stuff. Hendricks won the first on volume, won the second on volume and clearly hurt Lawler in the fifth before getting that takedown.

He won. Pretty clearly.

All the "Lawler won the fight" garbage is based on two rounds where Lawler clearly won. Okay, I get that. He had him hurt. But Hendricks battled back each time. He wasn't saved by the bell.

He won.

I do wish fights were judged as a whole, but even in doing so, i'd give a slight edge to johny.

I thought Robbie slightly got the better of him on the feet, but the takedowns with such little offense from the top really made the difference. Robbie started to rough him up in rounds 3 and 4, but johny hung in there and was competitive. In the fifth round, I thought johny was going to put Robbie down. Lawler was taking heavy shots, but the difference was that he was totally gassed out. it looked like he was going down in the fifth, but johny went the more conservative route and took the takedown instead.

very close fight, and I was really pulling for Robbie.

Lawler IMO. I don't reward wrestling much if at all. All of Hendricks' takedowns led to absolutely nothing and Lawler got up super easily.

Hendricks won 3 rounds. I think he did so clearly, too.

Hendricks won, and only because Lawler took him way to seriously at the beginning and let Hendricks leg kick him in the first 2 rounds while he was seeing if he did hit hard. Lawler would crush him in a rematch

Hendricks won 3-2. But neither are the best welterweight. Hector is coming for you johny and he is going to murderize you.

Hendricks won 3-2. Call it even going into to the 5th round and then he had Lawler wobbly and the takedown. No confusion here

Unified Rules - Hendricks fair and square.

Damage - Lawler and it's not close.

Back