Hendricks had 7 hours to lose 2 lbs and chose not to

true, especially if your body fat % is above what it should be before starting to cut water weight.

Don't get me wrong, I def thing Jonny isn't the most disciplined guy, but I think cutting weight throughout high school, college, and mma has taken a dramatic effect on his body. It could be his body can't take these massive weight cuts like it hadn't done before. I'm sure if he had managed his weigh, prior to fight camp and the weight cut, he would have most likely have made weight:

Don't get me wrong, I def thing Jonny isn't the most disciplined guy, but I think cutting weight throughout high school, college, and mma has taken a dramatic effect on his body. It could be his body can't take these massive weight cuts like it hadn't done before. I'm sure if he had managed his weigh, prior to fight camp and the weight cut, he would have most likely have made weight:

It did, for sure. Jim Miller mentionned a couple of times that weight cutting since high school took years off his life and was harder and harder. Therefore, at this point, you need near perfect discipline to still be able to make weight after cutting a big amount of weight, for so long. A discipline which Johny obviously lacks as we speak.

It did, for sure. Jim Miller mentionned a couple of times that weight cutting since high school took years off his life and was harder and harder. Therefore, at this point, you need near perfect discipline to still be able to make weight after cutting a big amount of weight, for so long. A discipline which Johny obviously lacks as we speak.

For sure, the guy def likes his food. That's evident by the amount of weight he packs on in between fights.

Yeah I've seen videos with Miller talking about the weight cuts, and the epsom salt baths he does the night before weigh ins.

Lawler.. you mean the fights he arguably won by clinging to Lawler on the mat while doing nothing to attempt to finish the fight? Both performances were awful.

Man... Tough crowd. Lawler vs Hendricks 1 was Fight of the Year.

MMA is probably harder to maintain weight in than wrestling. You aren't working out and staying in shape almost year round for mma like you are for wrestling, with constant meets and such. Most guys fight 2-3 times a year, with between 8 and 12 week camps that's 9 months max, and 6 months minimum they're working out.

I thought about that but if your a college wrestler your season is like 6 months and then you can do freestyle or Greco in the summer months for a club if you choose to, its still a 9 month season or so at most. If you're a pro athlete, especially in a sport like MMA, you should at least be doing basic fitness stuff and/or light drilling (mitts, speed bag, etc) in your "off" time. Staying in shape is a personal responsibility in both sports for about the same percentage of the year, its just structured differently. Allowing yourself to get out of shape is a terrible practice to get into. And weight management can be addressed via diet so even if your not training as hard or as prolonged in MMA like you would in wrestling, it can and should still be a priority.

I guess its a situation of every individual and their circumstances is different. I feel that if Johny wants to be a pro fighter, win fights, make a lot of money, and focus on the rewards he will be just fine whether he fights at 170 or 185. But plenty of guys cut weight for much of their lives and do so successfully. Look at a guy like DC he now fights at 205 after having kidney failure in 2008 trying to make 211 pounds. Dave Schultz wrestled at 167 in College in 1982 and was wrestling at 163 in 1995 when he died. Dennis Hall started his senior level Greco career in 1990 competing at 125 pounds and made the Olympic team in 2004 at 121. I hate weight cutting, and I don't think it even makes much sense unless you're a fighter who is consistently getting bullied in the clinch or controlled on the mat, but I think it can be done if you are a disciplined athlete.

I thought about that but if your a college wrestler your season is like 6 months and then you can do freestyle or Greco in the summer months for a club if you choose to, its still a 9 month season or so at most. If you're a pro athlete, especially in a sport like MMA, you should at least be doing basic fitness stuff and/or light drilling (mitts, speed bag, etc) in your "off" time. Staying in shape is a personal responsibility in both sports for about the same percentage of the year, its just structured differently. Allowing yourself to get out of shape is a terrible practice to get into. And weight management can be addressed via diet so even if your not training as hard or as prolonged in MMA like you would in wrestling, it can and should still be a priority.

Johny clearly does not stay in any kind of shape other than round between fights lol

Its a damn shame to because he was looking like a real world beater for a while. A very formidable package.

I agree. For a while there it looked like he'd be on top for a long time. Some things just burn up instantly upon entering the atmosphere.

I'd assume it's more than a discipline issue, considering how many times he's missed it in recent memory.

My guess is he used to take diuretics and since the usada policy came into effect, he's unable to cut weight safely without them.

Kizer (Director of NSAC at the time) about Beaulieu (GSP's co-manager) trying to get detailed information about the tests that they can't have

I'm an athlete who is subject to drug testing, and it would be foolish to go in there not knowing what will make you fail. That doesn't make Georges shady, it makes him smart

Back