Hendricks - GSP wants no part of my power

TORONTO -- Spurned welterweight contender Johny (Bigg Rigg) Hendricks says UFC champion Georges St-Pierre is avoiding him because of his knockout power.

Hendricks (14-1) has won five straight to punch his way to the front of the 170-pound contenders' line. But he finds himself having to wait his turn as St-Pierre focuses first on Nick Diaz, and then possibly Anderson Silva.

"The first thing that went through my mind is that if I didn't show the power that I did, would I have got that (GSP) fight?" Hendricks said Thursday.

"My striking power is something he's worried about," he added. "We saw it in the (Carlos) Condit fight, we've seen it before. Whenever he gets hit, whenever he gets rocked, he doesn't like it. And I think I'm a threat to his belt, I really do. And that's what I'm going to keep telling myself.

"And I'm going to keep working and improving myself, to keep being a bigger threat to him."

Hendricks, a former NCAA all-American wrestler with heavy hands, said he was initially livid at the news he was being passed over.

"I've sort of calmed down from that first initial shock," he said.

Having requested a date with Diaz, GSP gets his wish March 16 in the main event of UFC 158 in Montreal. Hendricks will fight Jake (The Juggernaut) Ellenberger (28-6) in an earlier fight on the main card at the Bell Centre.

"It's not the fight that I wanted but it's still a tough fight. And not only that, it's a fight that can better prepare me for GSP," said Hendricks, clearly seeing the glass as half-full.

But he is also aware of the risks he faces.

"You only get so many opportunities for a title shot. And here mine has been taken away from me. And who's to say I go out and win my next fight?"

Asked if he thinks less of the champion now, Hendricks replied: "Yeah. The way that he handled this? Yes."

St-Pierre did not immediately respond to an interview request Thursday.

Like UFC boss Dana White, St-Pierre has reportedly said Hendricks will get his shot. But he says fans want to see him fight Diaz first.

"They're going to tune in whenever I fight," responded Hendricks, referring to the fans. "You better believe that. ... No matter what happens, I have a chance to finish at any given moment and that's something that fans like to see."

Hendricks is coming off a 46-second knockout of Martin (The Hitman) Kampmann on the same UFC 154 card in Montreal that saw St-Pierre, returning from a lengthy injury layoff, win a five-round decision over Carlos (Natural Born Killer) Condit.

"I'm still improving and GSP said that he didn't have the performance he wanted against Carlos Condit," Hendricks said. "I think he didn't want to take me on the next fight, because he probably wants to make sure that he has the best possible preparation he can to fight me."

Diaz (26-8), sidelined by a drug suspension for marijuana, has not fought since losing the interim title bout to Condit in February during GSP's injury absence.

White said St-Pierre (23-2) had requested the Diaz fight, calling it unfinished business. The two were slated to meet in October 2011 but Diaz was yanked by the UFC after failing to turn up for news conferences in Toronto and Las Vegas with St-Pierre.

White said St-Pierre had earned the right to get his wish and that Hendricks, while on a good run, would have to wait his turn.

Hendricks has defeated a pair of welterweights who lost title shots to the 31-year-old St-Pierre. The 2005 and '06 NCAA champion wrestler at 165 pounds won a decision over Josh Koscheck and knocked out Jon Fitch in 12 seconds.

He also beat Mike Pierce and T.J. Waldburger at the start of his current win streak.

"I've done everything I could to put myself in this position and for him (St-Pierre) to sit here and take that away from me, that's what eats at me the most -- is that some guy, not even the company (UFC), it's a guy that took it from me."

The delay in his title shot is only adding to his motivation and giving him time to get better, Hendricks said.

"We know that GSP has sort of maintained where's he's at the last couple of years and I'm only improving."

The proposed GSP-Silva super-fight could further delay Hendricks's title aspirations.

"I've thought about that," said Hendricks. "If that happens, I think I'd try to get a hold of Anderson Silva and tell him 'Please don't take the fight. Let me have a shot at him. And if he beats me, then by all means, do what you want to do."'

One positive Hendricks has taken from the whole experience is the support from fans via social media.

"Man, that was such a low, low day but to see the support that I got was amazing. Absolutely amazing."

The 29-year-old Hendricks took to social media himself earlier in the day to announce that he and his wife Christina are expecting their third child. They already have a three- and one-year-old.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2012/12/20/johny_hendricks_georges_st_pierre_wants_no_part_of_my_power/#community

GSP would beat hendricks like every other fighter that has said what he has said! Get a clue. That is why gsp is the number 1 fighter at 170

OK first of all anyone that says GSP doesn't fear Hendricks Power is deluded. Ofcourse he does. Thats how he doesn't get himself beaten time after time. Any guy who goes into every match up without any fear of what his opponent is able to do will sooner or later get caught out against someone they really should beat.

Having said that GSP has proved that he can beat a fighter with the same skillset as Hendricks (Kos) and probably will deal out the same treatment to him as he did to Kos. However Hendricks does have more of a KO power record than Koscheck IMO and as he has proven against some of the most durable fighters at welterweight (a company GSP is not held amongst) that one of his strikes can KO you. with 5 rounds to do that it is a very good punchers chance.

With regard to Hendricks being pissed, that is very justified. yes he may be starting to sound like a broken record but I am on his side and he seems like a nice guy in interviews. I cant see Ellenberger having anything for him so he will get his shot in time but I personally have no interest in Diaz GSP as Diaz has nothing for GSP. GSPs top control and take downs are legendary and Diaz TDD is not. The diaz brothers, although entertaining are way overhyped in my opinion.

Oh please shut up already. You are not Silva Hendricks so please stop whining like a bitch. Does anyone not see a trend every fight GSP takes he is criticized for something and is going to loose everyone of them. He wins dispite the viscious whatever of his opponent. Hope Hendricks looses his next fight for being a whiney girl.

This is getting old, and I'm sure even he understand why Diaz got the shot instead of him. He should calm down and wait for his opportunity that will come sooner than later.

There ya go Johnny...THAT'S how you get a title shot.

I think hendricks was an only child.... he just sounds so entitled and selfish!!

I understand his frustrations and they mirror mine with the lack of a structured ranking system but he does need to pull it back just a bit or fans will start to backlash against his campaigning

Don't see it happening. I think he saw what Diaz did and thinks that if he keeps talking it'll work.

Keep in mind, I love the dude and I think he deserves the shot, but in his mind, the groundwork of how to get a shot has been laid out. Expect to hear a lot from Hendricks over the next few months.

No Johny, GSP wants no part of lackluster ppv sales.

Fights with Diaz and Silva are certain, big money makers.

That's why he avoids the question on Silva?

Dude is so in love with himself.

Relax.. you'll get your title shot...

He has to talk trash or he'll have to clean out the division before he gets a shot.

Actually, I think it's quite the contrary.

If he had knocked Koscheck out, maybe he'd be getting this shot instead of Diaz. I'd say too bad, except I'm a Kos fan.

In my opinion he still wouldn't. GSP hates Diaz so Hendricks would still be waiting it out.

No, but this is different. He's almost talking as if GSP will be no challenge for him and that it will be a guaranteed win.

If GSP dominates him, He's going to look like an idiot

He has to talk trash to get a shot.

Really hoping Ellenburger runs him over. Then maybe he'll pipe own a bit.

I thought Johnny lost to Kos and Story! Im not realy excited to see him fight GSP he is a 1 trick pony. That being said you shouldn't give a guy a shot after a loss.

I lold when he said that he'd call Anderson to tell him not to fight GSP if that's the case after the Diaz fight.

Lol way to piss everyone off and make Dana your mortal enemy if that does occur.

not really

he deserves his shot and gsp personally took it away from him and therefore he's pissed

he hasn't been runnin around saying he would destroy georges with ease...

even the stoic cain velasquez got pissed when jds kept talking about reem instead of him

hes pissed as any logical fighter would be
If Dana liked the Big Rig fight better the Diaz fight it would be happening!

GSP wants no part of any dangerous fight...
Give your fucking head a shake! GSPhas more top 5 and pfp wins then any other mma fighter yea sound like he's scared to me! Oh your a white belt!

Hendricks is losing fans fast. He has to know when to shut up. Enough already!

Back