Hendo responds to Jones' saying D.C.'s win over "old man Hendo" means nothing

The Shields fight was weird. Hendo was defending the takedowns in a weird manner. Instead of sprawling and using a wizzer when Shields would try his horribly telegraphed attempts, he would let Shields get his leg and try wrapping his arms through Shields' legs. It made Shields wrestling look much better than it actually is. I definitely believe he had a bad injury going into the fight.

Even still, Cormier wrestlefucking Hendo wasn't really a shock given the size disparity. Hendo has been taken down more than his share in MMA. I was actually surprised he did so well stuffing Rashad, but that might be because Rashad's skills have declined, and he was a never a high percentage takedown artist anyways.

He's slowed down a LOT. His age shows in there. He shambles around but he always has that KO potential. Saying he is 1-1 against Vitor ignores that Vitor has held on better and is younger while their first fight was in '06. We care about where he is now at 44, not eight years ago.

Dude, Vitor can catch anyone.

He has been the closest person to beating Bones.

Again, definitive losses to the 2 number 1 contenders with a win squeezed in is no bad thing.

Where he is now?

Objectively, there's no way to say he's not top 10. Just with that stat alone, it should mean that a win over Hendo doesn't "mean nothing".

Jones then doubled down by saying Cormier beat a 60 year old. Jones won't be able to fight at high level well into his 40s. A little respect would be nice, but eh we all no JJ is a fake, hypocritical D bag, albeit a talented one.

Honestly without trt we won't be seeing many guys fighting into their 40s. Fighting is typically a young man's sport. Shit, most sports are a young man's game.

So it's not important that he weathered shots from a known killer in Shogun, and even came back to knock Shogun out(a feat only ever performed one other time prior)? It's something to be ashamed of to lose split decisions to Machida and Rashad Evans at 205lbs? What planet am I on? The split decision was the first split decision win Rashad had since 2007.

Shogun is a killer? These aren't the PRIDE days nor the early UFC days. There's no shame in losing split decisions, but a loss is a loss. If you can honestly say to yourself that Dan Henderson is in title contention or even a top LHW with a straight face, I'd be impressed. Hendo has had a decorated career. At this stage in his career, he has nothing left to prove. I personally feel he's not capable of winning UFC gold. There's no shame in saying that he's old...he is. People are acting as if what Jon said was wrong...it's not. And guess what? Someone will be saying that about him one day. It happens to all the greats who have the spirit to keep on fighting, but don't have the youth or skill set to stay relevant.

The Shields fight was weird. Hendo was defending the takedowns in a weird manner. Instead of sprawling and using a wizzer when Shields would try his horribly telegraphed attempts, he would let Shields get his leg and try wrapping his arms through Shields' legs. It made Shields wrestling look much better than it actually is. I definitely believe he had a bad injury going into the fight.

Even still, Cormier wrestlefucking Hendo wasn't really a shock given the size disparity. Hendo has been taken down more than his share in MMA. I was actually surprised he did so well stuffing Rashad, but that might be because Rashad's skills have declined, and he was a never a high percentage takedown artist anyways.

I remember Hendo saying the cut to 185 was becoming too tough as he got older. He seemed dead after half of the first. Now off trt he has lost some mass and can fight at 185 again.

And people wonder why Bones has haters and less fans

or.. There's the shields fight i referenced. People are using Cormier tossing hendo around as justification for his wrestling dominance. But a former HW tossing around hendo at LHW who got grapple fucked by Jake Shields doesn't say a lot.

1. Anyone who knows anything about Hendo, knows that he was always an average MW. He never dealt well with the cut. He was always much better at LHW and HW, where almost all of his big signature wins are.

2. There is a difference between being dominated position wise in a grappling/bjj oriented fight, and being straight dominated at wrestling... at Hendo's best weightclass, to boot.

People act like dropping a split to Rashad and Machida is something to be ashamed of.

I remember Hendo saying the cut to 185 was becoming too tough as he got older. He seemed dead after half of the first. Now off trt he has lost some mass and can fight at 185 again.

Makes sense. But I'm still confused about what Hendo was trying to do when Shields would shoot. Even gassed, you'd think Hendo would have the muscle memory and wrestling ability to sprawl out or push off on those terrible attempts by Shields. Everyone praised Shields afterwards, but it's like Hendo gave him those takedowns.

Geez. Never realized how much MMA fans were sissy school girls.

Again, definitive losses to the 2 number 1 contenders with a win squeezed in is no bad thing.

Where he is now?

Objectively, there's no way to say he's not top 10. Just with that stat alone, it should mean that a win over Hendo doesn't "mean nothing".

I don't think Jones has said that it "means nothing" at least not in the absolute sense. It's not like someone off the street could do anything like that. It DOES mean nothing with regards to how he is going to be able to physically contend with Jones, or establishing himself as the clear top contender at LHW, though.

Vitor didn't "just catch" Henderson. Dan gave him that finish on a silver platter. He lurched forward like a mummy and got KTFO.

Often times, people fall off very quickly at the tail end of their career. There's no way to say he isn't in the midst of that right now. We'll see, but the signs of his decline are there, imo.

Jones would destroy Hendo.

Let's not forget Hendo throwing a bomb at an unconscious Bisping because he wanted to.

Big fan of Jones but that's fair enough of them to say in response to his comments. All the respect in the world to Hendo but everyone knows how dubious that matchmaking was and that the win is as close to meaningless as you can get at that level of MMA. Still, a little tact would have gone a long way for Jones.

Dan talked shit about Jones calling him fake etc, then he pulled out one week before their fight and somehow Jones was the one getting shit all over for it. I can see why Jones would not exactly love the old man. I mean, Dan seems to be a pretty arrogant dude as well.

Makes sense. But I'm still confused about what Hendo was trying to do when Shields would shoot. Even gassed, you'd think Hendo would have the muscle memory and wrestling ability to sprawl out or push off on those terrible attempts by Shields. Everyone praised Shields afterwards, but it's like Hendo gave him those takedowns.

The takedowns were surprising but Jake getting mouth so easy was downright shocking to me.

I don't think Jones has said that it "means nothing" at least not in the absolute sense. It's not like someone off the street could do anything like that. It DOES mean nothing with regards to how he is going to be able to physically contend with Jones, or establishing himself as the clear top contender at LHW, though.

Vitor didn't "just catch" Henderson. Dan gave him that finish on a silver platter. He lurched forward like a mummy and got KTFO.

Often times, people fall off very quickly at the tail end of their career. There's no way to say he isn't in the midst of that right now. We'll see, but the signs of his decline are there, imo.

They both beat each other.

Would it surprise you if Hendo KTFO's Vitor? No.

Would it surprise you if Vitor KTFO's Hendo? No.

They're among the hardest hitters in MMA history.

His "decline". Every fighter has a seesaw pattern, just about. One moment, they seem almost immortal and the after a couple stumbles, people say it's a decline.

It is.

It doesn't mean that they can't come back. I can't even tell you how many times Couture see-sawed and came back after he was "done" and should "have retired".

Where he is now?

Get off Hendo's nuts man.. He's a legend but he is not at the top anymore.

He is 1-4 in his last 5...

All he brings to the table anymore is power. He is warrior but he's just to old...

Henderson_Shields_post_9.jpg

Jake was considered one of the best fighters on the planet at the time.

Dan talked shit about Jones calling him fake etc, then he pulled out one week before their fight and somehow Jones was the one getting shit all over for it. I can see why Jones would not exactly love the old man. I mean, Dan seems to be a pretty arrogant dude as well.

Bc jones refused to figth mw sonnen on weeks notice. After having a full camp he said fighting a mw is too risky. Thus ufc ppv cancelled. Makes sense?

Back