Hendo almost became champion at the age of 46. Could A.Silva do it (become champ at a later age)?

I didn't realize opinions on it were so split. I've seen big silva fans like Kung fu saying he thought silva won, but I assumed they were just being silva fans.

You're right, though, sherdog was pretty split on who won that

View attachment 426649

Not just that but every time this fight gets mention you will see comments that support the KO.. every single time I'm not a lone crazy here there are plenty who share this view and I'm not on the Silva bandwagon either.

It's commonly accepted that a fighter's speed is one of the first things to deteriorate while power is one of the last. I don't think that a fighter like Silva, who relied on crisp, accurate, lightening quick striking is going to be able to replicate his run in the twilight of his career. There may be occasional flashes of his former skills, but he's not the same man he was then.

This is far too savvy and truthful to get more than a flicker of attention here. I donate the only like I am allowed.

Not just that but every time this fight gets mention you will see comments that support the KO.. every single time I'm not a lone crazy here there are plenty who share this view and I'm not on the Silva bandwagon either.

I haven't noticed it. I've noticed one or two guys saying it, but that's about it. According to the poll, though, you're right. Opinions were split on it.

giphy.gif

Gastelum beats Whittaker and challenges Silva?
anderson-silva-kelvin-gastelum-ufc-fight-night-120-pre.jpg

Thoughts?

If you are referring to his last fight in the UFC, he was gifted a shot because of his drama with Bisping. The title suggests he worked his way up. The premise is wrong.

Generally, the fighters who succeed around that age are compensating for the loss of speed and reflexes with a strong wrestling game, or are competing in promotions where they can take special vitamins.

I was a huge fan of silvas in his prime but no. He is a shadow of his former self and i really wish he would retire. He looked horrible against Bisping. Weidman took his soul.
As he gets older those Matrix moves we loved will be further out of his reach. He was never a strength-based fighter, he was all technical skill,incredible speed and tough chin. Those are all of the things that go first with age.

Back