Hemp Based Protein

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by BigPapaShango, Jul 31, 2015.

1. BigPapaShango

BigPapaShango Green Belt

Just a quick one, looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a good hemp based protein.

I know Onnit do the Hemp Force range, but its a bit pricey. If there were any other good brands out there I would be interested in looking them up.

2. ocean size

ocean size Black Belt

Trueprotein.com

Make yourself a blend with a variety of veg protein sources, or stick with help

3. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

I would go to truenutrition.com. You can put it into a custom mix or get it on its own.

4. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

Vega Protein is good stuff I like it.

5. sherdogcomfor

sherdogcomfor White Belt

I recently purchased a 3lb bag of Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein. I am not a vegan nor do I have milk allergies, but I have been interested in exploring other types of proteins. I also tend to be suspicious of what big name protein brands put in their supplements. I am about half way through the bag and decided to give my review on the product.

Note: While hemp does contain a very small amount of THC, it is impossible to fail a drug test, let alone get high, from consuming hemp protein.

Pros:
    - organic
    - raw vegan
    - no hexane, gluten, dairy, lactose or sweeteners.
    - hemp has a complete protein profile and considered to be one of the highest quality protein sources (especially for a plant)
    - naturally high in zinc, iron and magnesium
    - high in essential fatty acids and has a balanced omega 3-6-9 profile
    - been much more energized in and out of the gym
    - digests easily
    - been making good gains ever since taking it
    - cheaper than most other plant proteins

Neutral:
    - high in fiber*
    - no flavoring

Cons:
    - tastes bad (but still drinkable)
    - does not mix easily (although this can be a pro: it forces me to drink more water because I have to refill my cup several times to get all of it)
    - does not taste good with juice
    - scoop is not included
    - not as much protein per serving as whey (15g per 33g serving)
    - not as much "protein-per-dollar" as with whey
    - spoils quickly; has to be refrigerated and sealed from as much air as possible to avoid oxidation
    - the bag is not resealable and is very inconvenient (if you're as clumsy as me, you will end up spilling a lot of it)

*Nutiva sells 2 different hemp protein powders: one that is high in protein (50% protein, 20% fiber and 11% fat) and one that is high in fiber (37% protein, 43% fiber and 10% fat). The one I purchased was the high in protein variety.

Overall, I would recommend this product, especially if you have trouble digesting whey or are looking for a new type of protein supplement to try. I have a lot more energy throughout the day when I take it and it assists with meeting my daily fiber intake, which tends to be a little on the low side. The worst part about the product is the stupid bag. The protein is air sealed inside a plastic bag that you can't reseal. I ended up tying a big awkward mass of saran-wrap around the top of the bag in order to close it. If you buy this, I'd recommend buying some freezer seal bags so you can just put it in there and store it. Also, if you're very particular about taste, then you probably won't like hemp protein very much; it's unflavored and tastes like plant (duh), but I've tried some other plant-based supplements and honestly, it's not that bad compared to them. I will probably switch back to whey protein sometime in the future, but for now I am going to stick with this product.

6. Badger67

Badger67 Taxidea taxus

Just curious since im not overly familiar with you as a poster, are you a veg-head? If not, i see no real reason to travel down the hemp road as far as cost vs protein G's as well as quality, mixability or taste.