Rumored Helwani: UFC wants Sean O’Malley to Fight Frankie Edgar Next

Frankie wins easily. And that’s not because Frankie is on the comeback or gonna rise to the belt. He’s just still def a lot better than O’Malley. We will see Frankie landing takedowns with ease for the first time in a while.
I think you might be right, or at least hope so.

No wonder Sugar Shins made up some stupid excuses for turning down that fight already....
Fighters should be asked for dates and locations first, so when they argree and find out their opponents, we know why the fight didn't happen.

"Frankie Edgar? ..OH WAIT, THAT WEEKEND? Oh no, my bad, my coach is gonna be busy.. combing his hair that day. Yeah, sorry, that really sucks. My bad."

Reactions: z99
Frankies got it he’s no doubt passed his prime but sugar sucks he’s way overhyped

That would work. Edgar is still a tough out and is a name but is in the 4th quarter of his career.

But O Malley dont want to fight in NY which is what the whole O Malley/Shelby beef stemmed from, they want this in MSG and he's declining it.

Frankie will run circles around the clown if the fight ever happens

Fighters should be asked for dates and locations first, so when they argree and find out their opponents, we know why the fight didn't happen.

"Frankie Edgar? ..OH WAIT, THAT WEEKEND? Oh no, my bad, my coach is gonna be busy.. combing his hair that day. Yeah, sorry, that really sucks. My bad."

Multiple UFC fighters have publicly stated they didn't want to fight in New York since MMA was licensed because of the high taxes.

Jon Jones being the most famous of them.

I don't blame O'Malley (nor Jon at the time he said it) giving up an additional 9% of your gross purse is a lot when you only get paid a few times a year. Of course they want to fight in Las Vegas where they make more money for the exact same work.

This is not controversial.

Lol I think Edgar would beat the brakes off o mallet. All these talks of takedown? I see Edgar out working him for a late third round tko.

Levels and such

If im Sugar Sean id want more money to go from Moutinho to Edgar too.

I’d like to see O’Malley against Sandhagen. Would be cool to see two 5’11 135ers fight.

https://arielhelwani.substack.com/p/francis-ngannou-vs-jon-jones-should

Mentions that they wanted to book it for the Nov 6th card, but O’Malley came out and said he doesn’t want to fight in New York due to taxes and his head coach having some BJJ tournament the same weekend.

Winnable fight for O’Malley against a high ranked, big name opponent. Frankie will be 40 in October and was finished pretty brutally in 2 of his last 3.

Oh look another fighter past his prime being served up for Sean smh

As a gambler I really hope they make this fight, as O'Malley would probably be -200, which is crazy.

Frankie beats the breaks off of him even at 40. This is Sean Shelby getting back at him.

Edgar doesn’t deserve to be a stepping stone. Give O’Malley someone at least near their prime. Lol all these people saying Frankie runs through him will be back saying how old and shot he is after O’Malley stiffens him

Please... make it stop.

There are many reasons i hate the ufc brass but the worst offence is their serious disregard for the legacy and wellbeing of their legends who made the ufc what it is today just so an up and comer can have a nice name on his resume. The ufc is a brutal, relentless machine of capital.

How many times are you going to throw a washed Edgar in there against the very exact type of fighter that is a stylistic nightmare for him?

First Ortega, then Holloway, KZ, Sandhagen, and now O'Malley?

Last edited:
Judging by the reactions from this thread its the right fight to make.
Sean by tko btw. Frankies not eating the big bombs anymore without getting stopped.

Cruz vs. Edgar makes more sense but it would be a legit test for Sean.

I think people are way too nostalgic regarding Edgar, that Rodriguez fight was forever ago. Frankie is pretty shot at this point. I don't think Sean is champ material or anything but you just saw Frankie take a knee to the dome by a tall lanky bantamweight in speedy fashion, Sean blasting him out of there quick wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Back