Helwani: I could promote better than every other promoter

• ESPN’s 2017 Prime-Time and Total-Day Audiences Rise vs. 2016
  • ESPN Leads Cable Nets in Q4 Prime-Time Viewership for 18th Time in 19 Years
  • ESPN Has Led Cable for Key Male Demos for 18 Straight Quarters
ESPN’s 2017 viewership in prime time and in total day rose vs. 2016, while the network returned to its familiar spot atop cable networks in fourth quarter prime-time viewership and continued its streak of leading full-time cable networks in the key male demos to 18 consecutive quarters (4.5 years).

• In 2017, ESPN averaged 2,058,000 viewers (P2+) in prime time across TV and streaming, an increase of 7% over 2016. ESPN grew its audience among men and adults 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54.
  • ESPN also saw its total day viewership rise 1%.
  • In the fourth quarter, ESPN grew its audience 13% in prime to 3,052,000 viewers across TV and streaming, the best on cable, as it had accomplished from 1999 – 2015 before the aberration of last year’s political climate pushed ESPN to second place (behind Fox News). Audiences also rose by a double-digit percentage among men and adults 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54. ESPN’s total day viewership rose 9%.
  • In addition, the recently completed quarter was the 18th straight in which ESPN led full-time cable networks in delivering the key male demographic groups advertisers covert: men 18-34, 18-49 and 25-54.
Idk what to believe lol. So many conflicting reports

Idk what to believe lol. So many conflicting reports

Cable as a whole is down
But the death of ESPN is largely fabricated.
They had to re-adjust & budget & reorganize like every business does during a transition.
The way people consume media is completely different than it was 5 years ago & might be different 5 years from now.

Look at UFC.
They are less popular but due to changes in the business structure, they make more profit than under Lorenzo & are worth more as a company.
Some just look at PPV & ratings & cry out hyperbole.
Meanwhile UFC is about a $200m a year profit company without a single PPV sold.
Fertitta's best full calendar year was $152m profit (2015)

Truth is content distribution is vastly different.
NFL & MLB went down in popularity as well.
Too many options & smart businesses are braced for it

I actually do believe Ariel here, he goes deep with the WWE line of thinking.

Helwani = winner of countless journalist of the year awards. #1 source of mma news

you = nerd who faps to anime

giphy.gif
Deepthroat Helwani some more

Cable as a whole is down
But the death of ESPN is largely fabricated.
They had to re-adjust & budget & reorganize like every business does during a transition.
The way people consume media is completely different than it was 5 years ago & might be different 5 years from now.

Look at UFC.
They are less popular but due to changes in the business structure, they make more profit than under Lorenzo & are worth more as a company.
Some just look at PPV & ratings & cry out hyperbole.
Meanwhile UFC is about a $200m a year profit company without a single PPV sold.
Fertitta's best full calendar year was $152m profit (2015)

Truth is content distribution is vastly different.
NFL & MLB went down in popularity as well.
Too many options & smart businesses are braced for it
That makes sense. So many other ways to view the network in today's age.

Ariel would do great behind the scenes as the mastermind. Having final word on matchmaking, storylines, promos etc.

Not sure about being a frontperson, allthough you don't have to be a loud like Dana. Scott Coker does fine and he's very mellow like Helwani.

Last edited:
Reminds me of when people try to talk to me about my job (programming), which for some reason everyone is an expert at yet no one's can actually do.

He can't possibly know what he's talking about because he hasn't done it.

Reminds me of when people try to talk to me about my job (programming), which for some reason everyone is an expert at yet no one's can actually do.

He can't possibly know what he's talking about because he hasn't done it.

You sir - get it

I thought it was funny because Helwani sounded just like a SDer by thinking he can do a job like that

Ironically most people on this board make fun of him often by saying they could do his job better than he could

I like Chael but in this segment he is just talking loudly over Ariel and not giving him a chance to speak.
He most likely did it on purpose to get more audience, since the show is new... kind of new.

His ESPN MMA Hour and the Chael show both suck.

He could be like Vince McMahon back in the day where he would run things behind he scene, and act like a commentator/interviewer instigating the drama on screen.

Yes, Ariel probably won’t be as good but it’s a pretty big job to do it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back