Help with programming

dimixhanma

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello guys i am 18 years old and started training BJJ couple months ago. I train BJJ usually around 3 times a week. I train in gym around 1 year and before bjj i was doing PPL 6x times a week split. Now i cant do it anymore becouse i cant really go to gym 6 times a week,bjj 3 times a week and also go to school and have time for other life activities. I found 531 program and i really like idea of that program. I also have 531 Forever book. My question is what template would be you guys recommend to me.

Jim Wendler has touched on this in the past.

https://www.jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101080198-5-3-1-and-mma?_pos=1&_sid=948a36d5f&_ss=r

Seems reasonable.

He really stresses that if you're participating in skilled training then you're an athlete first, and a lifter second. Your lifting shouldn't negatively impact your skilled training. A lot of 18 year old guys(myself included some years ago) tried to burn the candle at both ends, and ended up limiting their progress in both areas.

Last edited:
Jim Wendler has touched on this in the past.

https://www.jimwendler.com/blogs/jimwendler-com/101080198-5-3-1-and-mma?_pos=1&_sid=948a36d5f&_ss=r

Seems reasonable.

He really stresses that if you're participating in skilled training then you're an athlete first, and a lifter second. Your lifting shouldn't negatively impact your skilled training. A lot of 18 year old guys(myself included some years ago) tried to burn the candle at both ends, and ended up limiting their progress in both areas.

So my workout could go like this:
Squat 531
Bench 531
Weighted pull ups3x5
Weighted Dips 3x8-10
Face pulls 3x20
Triceps pushdown 3x10-15
Curls 3x12
Maybe some ab work

Deadlift 531
Ohp 531
Lat pulldown 3x10
Db bench 3x8-10
Bulgarian split squats 3x12
Lat raise 3x20

Day 3 for assistance
Incline bench 5x10
Db row 5x10
Lunges 3x12
Db shoulder 3x10
Triceps ohp ext SS incline biceps curls 3x15

I’m sure 531 will work fine as a lot of guys have had success with it and bjj. I’ve never done it, I’m not really sure why, but I’ve had success with a hlm type setup with only one top set for heavy day and progressing weekly. Currently I’m doing that with just the press and deadlift, with variations for my light and medium days such as snatch grip deadlifts, chin-ups, pin presses and clean and presses. I personally feel better with lower reps and heavier weight, but I’m sure everyone has a different. Just another idea if you finish 531 and want to try something else. Another program that has worked very well for me is easy strength, but I’m not sure if it would work very well for a beginner.

One last thing, in my opinion at 18 you really should stay away from artificially keeping your body weight down for a weight class. Make sure you eat a lot of good food, not junk though, since you’ll be training your ass off. I gained 90lbs between 18-19 and I’m so glad I did it when it was easy, it is a life long change if you do it right and there’s no better time than now.

if you're participating in skilled training then you're an athlete first, and a lifter second. Your lifting shouldn't negatively impact your skilled training. A lot of 18 year old guys(myself included some years ago) tried to burn the candle at both ends, and ended up limiting their progress in both areas.

This.

At a glance, that looks like too much volume for someone who's serious about getting good at BJJ.

And this.

TS if you're coming from lifting 6 x week and are new to BJJ, you need to accept that BJJ will limit your strength gains and vice versa. If you've already milked your linear noob gains on the big 3, it's hard to make consistent progress while also applying yourself to BJJ training. And consistently trying to do so will make you show up for BJJ stiff and sore and prolong your time as a white belt spaz trying to muscle everything. Been there done that.

It's a one-size fits all program, but I still like Stronglifts 5x5 and it's what I do these days on top of BJJ 3x week. I personally think it's important to do both strength and skills training, but most people figure out which one they like better and tend to prioritize training (and recovery) to one mode of training over the other.

Focus on Bjj and do lifting with what energy you have left. Sleep well and preferably early, try getting regulary good sleeping hours in. Eat reasonably healthy.

Just get expirience and see for yourself how much weight lifting is doing you good and how much is overreaching.

It's basically about recovery. What makes you stronger and what tires you out. It's individual.

Back