Help with my hips

PikeKing

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm been doing Judo about 6 weeks now and its all going well and am enjoying it but I am having a real problem with hip throws, I've been practicing and practicing o-goshi and i am buggered if i can get it, I'll get it occaisionally but most of the time i just cant get my hips round far enough, its feels like i'm too stiff but i'm sure thats not it.

Anyone have any advice for me on this?

There are lots of streches you could do to increase hip flexibility. But since you are only six weeks in, I would say just relax, it takes time.

There are lots of streches you could do to increase hip flexibility. But since you are only six weeks in, I would say just relax, it takes time.

its really frustrating

i am a very big guy, not very flexible, the throws will still work, it's mostly about position, make sure your feet are in the right place when you go for the throws

i am a very big guy, not very flexible, the throws will still work, it's mostly about position, make sure your feet are in the right place when you go for the throws

For judo, I agree. I would work more on your foot entries and uchi komi.

its really frustrating

every thing is frustrating at the beginning. Just remember you are only 6 weeks into judo, you are not going to perfect every technique in record time. Like everyone else said, check your footwork. It's amazing what can happen when you put your feet in the correct position. Your probably trying to do the throw very fast. Do it slow and when you have the technique down, then speed it up.

ask your instructor for some drills you can do to improve. Take an apple when you ask, instructors like that.

Footwork drills I have my guys do at home if they are having problems is to put a pair of shoes "mirror" in front of them. Then they work the basic entries and check the distance of their feet and hip movement in comparision with the shoes. For example on a basic hip throw when you are finished with the footwork, your feet should be spaced exactly as far apart as the shoes and should be close without stepping on them.

Footwork drills I have my guys do at home if they are having problems is to put a pair of shoes "mirror" in front of them. Then they work the basic entries and check the distance of their feet and hip movement in comparision with the shoes. For example on a basic hip throw when you are finished with the footwork, your feet should be spaced exactly as far apart as the shoes and should be close without stepping on them.

thanks, thats a really good idea, i'll try that

Back