Help with my arm

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I went to my BJJ place after awhile of being out due to vacation, I felt very tired and had no endurance (due to not working out for basically 3 weeks straight and eating at fancy restaurants). So I came back and basically I get destroyed by every single person, including people who are several weeks new. Now, my right arm seems to hurt whenever I extend it to 170 degrees +. Where the armbar is essentially supposed to break the arm/joint, is where I am hurting, it isn't broken I guess,but I can't extend it without quite a bit of pain. I'll answer whatever questions and hopefully get some advice before I go to a doctor about this.

Yea, at least a couple times, 1 from guard, and one from getting trapped in between my partner's two legs, I think I was hurt most from that, even though I knew I Was about to tap and tapped as soon as I felt pressure.

EDIT: I also have lifted some minor weights and felt this pain before (on a much lighter scale), probably due to my bad posture

Yea, at least a couple times, 1 from guard, and one from getting trapped in between my partner's two legs, I think I was hurt most from that, even though I knew I Was about to tap and tapped as soon as I felt pressure.

Were you tense and/or spazzy? That could have helped you hurt it a fair bit. Just ice it for now and rest it.

Hmm, I am not spazzy, thats for sure, I barely moved today and yesterday after class. Tense, I couldn't really be tense due to my soreness, but I was fairly tense right after class when I was pissed off at myself, could you elaborate on how that could hurt me?

Its probably just a combination of muscle soreness and some inflammation. If it doesn't hurt until your arm is all the way extended, I would guess its not that serious.

Its probably just a combination of muscle soreness and some inflammation. If it doesn't hurt until your arm is all the way extended, I would guess its not that serious.

Well its my joint, its not like a sore muscle, is it possibly that something has torn, or been lightly fractured?

Well its my joint, its not like a sore muscle, is it possibly that something has torn, or been lightly fractured?

No idea. I have sprained my elbows to a couple different degrees.

First time it got snapped when someone swiped my arm when I based. My elbow made a popping sound. It was sore for a week but healed completely.

Another time someone didn't feel me tapping to a bellydown armbar until it was too late. We heard a pop then also. It wound up being a ligament sprain. It took almost 6 months and physical therapy to get me healed up.

If you can't recall the exact moment that you were injured, I doubt its a fracture or a tear. I think you would know. I'm just guessing (by going what you've stated) but I would think its a sprain at worse.

One thing for sure though, stressing about it before you a see a doctor won't help at all. Good luck.

If it's in the joint, perhaps it is a tendon or ligament. Does the pain extend halfway up your bicep? Or halfway down your forearm? Or is it just localized inside the elbow? Does it hurt when you do a bicep curl with weight? On the contracting phase...the extending phase...or both?

It is localized in my elbow, and thanks to everyone for their help. I guess I will just lay low and not go very hard at practice and see if the pain goes away a week down the road.

Judging by the symptoms it sounds like you popped your elbow sideway such as in an americana or a crooked armbar. You should definitely have noticed that happening though and the arm would have been very bad the day after.

Judging by the symptoms it sounds like you popped your elbow sideway such as in an americana or a crooked armbar. You should definitely have noticed that happening though and the arm would have been very bad the day after.

Well, to be honest, I am no tough guy, if I really actually felt that I was really hurt, then I would immediately stop and take a break and check myself. Right now I think it is minor (no doubt needs attention,however) and I will just relax for several days and then see how I am.

If it's in the joint, perhaps it is a tendon or ligament. Does the pain extend halfway up your bicep? Or halfway down your forearm? Or is it just localized inside the elbow? Does it hurt when you do a bicep curl with weight? On the contracting phase...the extending phase...or both?

Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I would like to hear more about this. What does it mean if the pain extends half way up the bicep? What about if it extends half way down the forearm? Thanks......

Back