Help with larger opponents

I don't see how this would work in No-Gi. Everyone is sweaty that I would never be able to get a good enough grip on the wrist to be able to pull him forward with it.

The armdrag was born in no-gi, and is a central wrestling move. Marcelo used it to win world championships no-gi.

It works great no-gi.

You aren't pulling the guy by the wrist so much as you are pulling the wrist across and moving yourself around to the side. You can even just slap the wrist to set it up.

tapskillz, Zankou and the rest of the crew

Thanks for the info!!!

I am still a newbie at this so I rely on the forum for alot of info. I appreciate the time you guys put into your answers!

I'm 5'8", 215-220 so I am one of the stocky guys and heavier guys. I try and match up with the bigger guys but there is probably only 2 guys that weigh over 200 in my class. I would rather roll with a 160lb purple belt rather than a 180lbs white belt with less (or equal) skill to me.

I get more out of rolling if I get tapped 10 times by a good BJJ guy rather than a lay and pray session with a new guy.

I am going to keep focusing on sweeps, I just need to stock pile 4 or 5 sweeps from guard so I can transition between them if one doesn't work.

For my money a quick arm drag to the back of a larger opponent is the best feeling in all of grappling.

Don't get confused by grips: no gi you want to hook the upper arm, not grab. Sweat is not a factor.

Watch that Marcelo adcc, he probably looks for the arm drag 5 times before he gets it, and when he does it's beautiful because it's almost broken down into it's component parts, each textbook, as opposed to a single sudden movement as you will normally see it.

No need to pull the arm on the drag. PUSH his wrist between his legs and then MOVE your opposite shoulder to his shoulder.

Now just stay tight. At this point you can take your hand off his wrist and place it on the back of his elbow. and You want to let him move a bit but keep his arm across, nice and tight. As he tries to escape, he gives you the angle/energy you need to scoot behind him.

This is the way Drysdale and Saulo teach the armdrag and I've had far more success with this style than with Marcelo's style.

No need to pull the arm on the drag. PUSH his wrist between his legs and then MOVE your opposite shoulder to his shoulder.

Now just stay tight. At this point you can take your hand off his wrist and place it on the back of his elbow. and You want to let him move a bit but keep his arm across, nice and tight. As he tries to escape, he gives you the angle/energy you need to scoot behind him.

This is the way Drysdale and Saulo teach the armdrag and I've had far more success with this style than with Marcelo's style.

Back