Help with Headgear please!

IR-81 ($86) or R-9 ($100)? Which one offer better protection, mainly for a big nose.
I have got a reyes.
Id go with the R9.

Both are awesome and you can't go wrong with either but R9 is slightly more comfortable and the cheeks a little thicker.

Hello all. I have AMPRO leather MK2 headguard that I brought cheap and in a hurry as I was starting sparing with a guy I know, he has been training white collar for years, so I can trust him not to go mad. As I am getting better (slowly) at some point I am going to want to start sparing at the local gym. The guys there are yonger than me, more experienced and are training for white collar fights and therefore it seems they spar a bit heavy. Without sounding like a wimp I don't want to get too hurt I work in office so I don't really want to end up at sitting at my desk re creating a scene from fight club. Question is will an R9 be ok to avoid busted noise/lip etc or to I really need to go for a R81? I could prob stretch to a FG2900 but not the FG5000 that is too much $$ at the moment.

@hangulmalmotayo would really appreciate yours and others opinion on the this.

Last edited:
Since this is an area of my expertise, and my input has been requested, I will now provide you with my two cents.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to offer a definitive answer without knowing more about the size of your nozzle. You won't be 100% safe from a busted lip, but that shouldn't be a terrible concern. The main concern is your nose and if your nose is relatively small and flat, then you should be fine with the R9 or the FG2900.

If you really want to play it safe, I'd say cough up the extra cash and buy the FG5000 (make sure to size up). I learned this the hard way after spending literally thousands of dollars on hospital visits and surgeries from a single sparring injury. If you're doing this for fun, just spend the extra money now and it will save you headache (and possibly money) in the future.

Thank you so much, you don't mention the R81, I saw you had one that wasn't a good fit, has that put you off them as they seem to be compared well vs FG5000?

Thank you so much, you don't mention the R81, I saw you had one that wasn't a good fit, has that put you off them as they seem to be compared well vs FG5000?
Yeah, didn’t like the R81. Awkward fitting. Felt like a football helmet.

Yeah, didn’t like the R81. Awkward fitting. Felt like a football helmet.
If you’re like me, which may very well not be the case, you will not be satisfied until you have the FG5000. I spent a lot of money trying cheaper alternatives until I finally bit the bullet.

Sanabul headgear is the way to go on price. Ive seen pros like Diego sanchez, Jouban and other ufc/bellator guys using it all the time

Only adding the T3 by hyabusa for opinion sake. Anyone use them? I like the gloves but need new head gear also.

Only adding the T3 by hyabusa for opinion sake. Anyone use them? I like the gloves but need new head gear also.
All you gotta do is adjust the remshieckle and you're 100% ready for combat. Just adjust that remshieckle and you'll be good to go.
rPvoeVc.gif

Back