Help with Electrical Theory and the math involved

Not the actual resistor.

I looked it up and there are "metal film" (metal oxide) resistors, just like I partially remember hearing once.
The oxide helps the metal resist where it normally would conduct well. So he's kinda rightish.

Edit: also "wirewound" resistors. Which use "resistance wire"

"These types are made by winding resistance wire in a spiral around a non-conductive core."
source - https://eepower.com/resistor-guide/resistor-materials/#

You're right that the most common types like we see in that pic are not made of metal for the resistance portion.

Last edited:
Why do people use the Mayberry as Google?

I looked it up and there are "metal film" (metal oxide) resistors, just like I partially remember hearing once.
The oxide helps the metal resist where it normally would conduct well. So he's kinda rightish.

Edit: also "wirewound" resistors. Which use "resistance wire"

You're right that the most common types like we see in that pic are not made of metal for the resistance portion.

Of course... anything outside of superconductors have resistance.

Of course... anything outside of superconductors have resistance.

Ye, but are all non-superconductive materials useful to be used in commercial/industrial resistors? His instinct paid off imo

Lol. If you can't get by that then you're proper fucked.

I just listened to a couple minutes of the video here and there, and it seems like he is explaining these circuit elements, but not really going much into the physics of electromagnetism. If you don't have an understanding of basic electrical concepts, its going to be hard to understand circuit elements that implement those concepts.

Do you have a basic understanding of electric potential, current, resistance, and capacitance?

The video was a bit hard to understand to tell you the truth. Did you watch it? Those drawing of capicitors, resistors and everything else is a bit complicated.

This guy is laying this out in very simple terms. I don't know why you're studying this. Are you considering a career in electronics? If you are having difficulty understanding this. Electronics may not be a career for you.

Think of a water hose connected to a faucet. When you turn the water on, it flows through the hose and out the other end. The amount of flow would be like the electrons flowing in a circuit called amps. The water pressure would be like the voltage in a circuit. The higher the pressure, the faster the water flows through the hose. A resistor would be like stepping on the hose or holding your finger over the end to restrict the flow. The hose itself provides some resistance to the flow just like a wire in a circuit. If you want a lot of flow you use a larger hose or, in an electrical circuit, a larger wire.

This guy is laying this out in very simple terms. I don't know why you're studying this. Are you considering a career in electronics? If you are having difficulty understanding this. Electronics may not be a career for you.

Think of a water hose connected to a faucet. When you turn the water on, it flows through the hose and out the other end. The amount of flow would be like the electrons flowing in a circuit called amps. The water pressure would be like the voltage in a circuit. The higher the pressure, the faster the water flows through the hose. A resistor would be like stepping on the hose or holding your finger over the end to restrict the flow. The hose itself provides some resistance to the flow just like a wire in a circuit. If you want a lot of flow you use a larger hose or, in an electrical circuit, a larger wire.

Thanks, it was the symbols I was having trouble with.

Capacitor - kinda acts like a battery. Used to smooth out power or give a little voltage boost depending on size.

Resistor - used for protecting components by reducing voltage being supplied to it.

Diode - allows voltage to travel in only one direction.

Someone with more time can give you a more detailed explanation but that's the gist of it.

Back