1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Help with boxing and grappling glove info please

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by NoLimits1987, Jul 8, 2010.

1. NoLimits1987 White Belt

First time poster here. Yes, I have performed 1000 searches on the site and STILL need some help for my specific situation. I am a wrestler who has been training MMA on and off for about a year (4 months total experience?). I am now trying to take it more seriously and am going to start training 5 days a week. Up until now I have always used the gym's gear, but my new gym (i moved) recommends I purchase my own gear. So here it goes....

I would like to purchase 2 pairs of gloves to cover sparring, bag work, pad work, grappling, and spar/grapple. I was thinking of purchasing a pair of 6 oz mma gloves (no thumb probably?) to use for pad work and grappling and a pair of boxing gloves to use on heavy bag and sparring (ya it would be nice to have seperate pair for each but im not made out of money). I am 5 9, 175 lbs, with small hands! Not sure of my budget, but I would like to be economical if I can be, I can commit to spending 70-80 on ONE of the two but I do not know if I can spend that much on EACH pair. With that being said ... I would like your opinions on

A) If I had to choose should I invest in more expensive MMA gloves or boxing gloves? Should I just wait and buy 2 really good pairs of gloves when I have enough money, or is there a way to go the economy route here and still end up satisfied?

B) Considering my small hands, what would be some good options for gloves? I was thinking about boons for boxing and depending on my feedback to this thread was thinking about some truth mma gloves for economy or possibly hayabusa/CSI/fairtex gloves if you recommend saving up for 2 quality pairs of gloves. Any suggestions?

C) do you think the no thumb pad on my MMA gloves is good for my situation or should I get a legit "training" glove instead? and do you think 16 oz boxing gloves are best for my size and use requirements?

Please let me know if I left out some required information. Thank you for your help!

2. Tone C Gold Belt

1st stay away from Truth,as much as I liked their gear they have had customer service problems in the past and they seem to have gone belly up.This may not be the case any more but they do not have a great rep around here any more.

regards a bag glove, Sparring Gloves - KO Fightgear at $39 and free postage is a good bet,you can also buy a second pair ,maybe the 16s as a sparring glove although some people find the padding a bit compact,as a bag glove they are great though.

3. cheesesteak Green Belt

TRUTH is great quality/value and I have never had a problem with them. They just released new products for July, so they are definitely still alive and well. I suggest emailing Paul directly about any inquiries.

I would invest more on boxing gloves because you wouldn't (or shouldn't) be doing pad work or sparring with MMA gloves. A economy pair would be good enough to practice grappling applications and such though.

Don't worry too much about your small hands because gloves will fit better with wraps.

4. SuperNizzle White Belt

I have been training in mma for the past 3 weeks, we do Muay thai, stand up and ground fighting. I am getting some gloves for my birthday on tuesday, I am just getting some twin muay thai gloves for sparring, pad work and everything else.

If you really want to get 2 pairs of gloves, I would say spend more on the boxing gloves and less on the MMA gloves, although it really is up to you.

5. stupidnub White Belt

regarding the small hands, the 16 oz hayabusa sparring gloves have the tightest hand compartment I've tried...and I've used the Rival RS2V, RS1, fairtex bgv1, and bgv5. My hands were lost in the bgv5s so I gave them to a friend.

6. yarble White Belt

Checkout cageside's thai gloves. I have small hands, and their hand compartment fits me perfectly. I have a pair of 18s and a pair of 16s, and I literally cant say enough good things about them.

I also think they have mma training packages for people in your situation (although I cant comment on their mma gloves).

7. PeterPain Brown Belt

Boon has good gloves, but no Bag glove (they did and old school mitt awhile aggo)
    They have a nice sparring/grappling glove.
    Boon Sport MMA Safety Gloves

You could get that and a bag glove.

8. Tone C Gold Belt

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f16/truth-mma-gear-wtf-alternatives-1283893/

Products are great,my issue as always been having chasing them up and contacting them when stuff got forgotten to be posted.