Help with bjj please

xjado321

White Belt
Reaction score
I am 15 and currently go to an mma gym that teaches 2 muay thais 2 jiu jitsu's and 2 judo classes per week. I am 5'4 115-118 lbs and have been going for a bout 3 1/2 months, maybe took 2 or 3 week break along the way. I do very well in thai and can actually do well in the sparring sessions and was even asked by the coach if i wanted to start training for fights with him..

Now to the bjj, it is coming to the point where i have second thoughts about JJ. I can't even make it 1 minute without being tapped out. Granted everyone there has a bout 40+ pounds on me atleast but it is still extremely frustrating. If anyone can give me some tips, help, etc that would be great. The only positive i've gotten from bjj is the fact that i do great on my highschool wrestling team when i wrestle people my own size.

Yeah, train more. Just like everyone else.

Don't give up!!! Maybe you can get a buddy to do some submissionless rolling with you, so you can work some of your positional game longer. Regardless, do not quit. Everyone gets tapped a lot at first (everyone!), particularly if you are giving up 40+ pounds. That is significant. Keep training! And did I mention, don't quit!

I am 15 and currently go to an mma gym that teaches 2 muay thais 2 jiu jitsu's and 2 judo classes per week. I am 5'4 115-118 lbs and have been going for a bout 3 1/2 months, maybe took 2 or 3 week break along the way. I do very well in thai and can actually do well in the sparring sessions and was even asked by the coach if i wanted to start training for fights with him..

Now to the bjj, it is coming to the point where i have second thoughts about JJ. I can't even make it 1 minute without being tapped out. Granted everyone there has a bout 40+ pounds on me atleast but it is still extremely frustrating. If anyone can give me some tips, help, etc that would be great. The only positive i've gotten from bjj is the fact that i do great on my highschool wrestling team when i wrestle people my own size.

I know how you feel I'm a 5'3" 120 female and it is discouraging. Jiu jitsu takes more time to learn. Its a huge chess match. The fact that you are smaller is going to make it harder too. Just stick with it. work every day to get submitted less, to hit one or two specific techniques. Little victories for your self will improve your game. The people that are bigger than you, will be beating you because of weight and strength until you get to a higher rank, when you get higher ranks, you will be able to keep up, or beat them... It happens for me now.

All I can say is work hard worry about your technique, it will get there... But it does take longer. If you have any questions please get a hold of me!

just gotta keep practicing man, you'll get better if u just keep practicing and learning

check out submissions 101 on youtube, you'll be tapping practically everybody.

a Black Belt in BJJ is just a white belt who never quit =p

being smaller, do your best to stay as mobile as possible. dont let them use their size against you.

you are young and still developing. throw in some weights and work on your overall strength.

most importantly....GIVE IT TIME!

To supplement your regular training, get Saulo's book. The survival positions shown there should instantly reduce the number of times you get tapped. It may give you enough time to start working your own game a bit more.

That's rough and certainly discouraging.

It's a hard fact that it'll be a longer road being a little guy, but the grappling arts are a fantastic way of life and will make you a stronger person.

Hope you stick with it and enjoy.

Back