Help with a Big Decision: Glock 17 Gen 4 or S&W M&P 9

infinitywarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good folk of weapons and tactics please help me out with a big decision. I"m thinking of trading in my FMK 9c1 gen 2 and M&P .22 to get a main stream 9mm model. My choice is strictly down to M&P 9 and Glock 17 gen 4. I really like both but i'm torn on which one to get. Are the Gen 4's reliable now, i'm a little wary of the double nested recoil spring on the Glock 17. I also heard they fixed the trigger on the M&P 9's. I like both pistols but i am torn. The M&P 9 is the range kit, comes with holster, mags, speed loader, mag pouch and case. The Glock 17 just the mags. The M&P 9 is $649 + tax and the Glock 17 is $699. My trade in should cover either or for the most part. Which is more reliable? If the Glock 17 was a gen 3 i'd probly get the Glock....but i'm unsure of the Gen 4's. Please give some reasons to go one way or the other. Thanks!

Neither. Get a CZ. I've never been a fan of the M&P series of pistols. Glock Gen4s are as reliable as anything but.....

$699 for a Glock?? You could find a $699 CZ Sp-01 if you looked. Gen 4s Have a MAP of $599, and better stores can let them go for around $549 or so. Even if you can't find an SP-01, the new CZ P-09 (look around and you should find one for $475 or so) is just as reliable as the Glock, but with superior ergos, and a stock trigger far better than any Competition Glock.

Both are solid guns. Personally I'd go with the Glock but that's just me. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the Gen 4 but I'm sure they're just as good as previous models. Dont put too much stock into what you read online.

Glock. Cheaper magazines, easier to get parts for, etc. The Gen4 stuff was overblown, the most common issue was brass ejecting back (towards the shooter) instead of to the right. That was fixed with the new extractor/ejector. I have a Gen4 G26 and it's been fine.

And the double recoil spring isn't new, it was in the sub-compacts (G26, etc.) since they first came out. For the Gen4 they just implemented on the other guns.

Thanks for the feedback so far, looks like its all leaning towards glock. Unlike most of the rest of the world, i really like hammerless, polymer, striker fired pistols. These 2 are my final contenders, i need my one go to pistol.

Neither. Get a CZ. I've never been a fan of the M&P series of pistols. Glock Gen4s are as reliable as anything but.....

$699 for a Glock?? You could find a $699 CZ Sp-01 if you looked. Gen 4s Have a MAP of $599, and better stores can let them go for around $549 or so. Even if you can't find an SP-01, the new CZ P-09 (look around and you should find one for $475 or so) is just as reliable as the Glock, but with superior ergos, and a stock trigger far better than any Competition Glock.

This is your answer.

I think he's in Canada, so prices are higher.

CZ's are nice (I still want a CZ-75), but for my carry gun I want something that's easy to get parts and accessories for and has cheap magazines.

I don't know much about Canadian gun laws, but don't you have to leave your handgun at the range and are not allowed to take it home?

Also, get a Glock 19

I don't know much about Canadian gun laws, but don't you have to leave your handgun at the range and are not allowed to take it home?

Also, get a Glock 19

Without going into lengthy detail, nope you can take your handgun home. You have to have it behind 2 locks though. Example, trigger lock and in a locked case, or locked case behind locked door. The barrel can't be any less than 4.2" so i can't get an unmodified Glock 19 here, it would have to have the stormlake barrel and it would cost way more. I can shoot to my heart's delight at the range and take it home, i just have to have an ATT(authroization to transport), usually when you buy a restricted firearm(such as a handgun or MSR/AR ) you also get an ATT which allows you to transport the gun from your home directly to the range and back in a long term form. That way you don't have to get one each time.

What's wrong with the FMK? While I've been nothing but happy with both my Glock 21 and 17 Gen 4s, I do think that the M&P range and carry kit is a better value in Canada, especially if you're going to get into some form of action shooting competition; the holster and mag pouch are like a $50 value in and of themselves, never mind that it's already cheaper than a Glock.

If you're going with the M&P, keep the .22 version if you can afford to, otherwise the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for Gen4 Glocks is somewhat of a pain in the ass to find in Canada. It's been so long since I've shot something, I almost can't wait to qualify on the government's dime, even if I don't much care for the Beretta PX4 storm.

I paid $500 new for my Gen 1 Glock 23 10 years ago.

I paid $400 used for my Gen 4 Glock 23 in January haven't noticed a big difference in shooting quality, though some of the parts are a little different (grips and springs).

The M&P is a cool-looking gun (especially next to a Glock, which always strike me as the Volvo of handguns) and it feels good in the hand, but I've seen a couple of used M&Ps with rust on the slide after a short time. That turned me off from them.

CZ makes a fine pistol. My dad has an old CZ that is a copy of a Browning Hi-Power and it shoots great, but recoil is a bitch--even with 9mm. However, a well-cared for CZ in a modern model is accurate, reliable, and attractive.

I say do a lot of shopping around. Check prices online, go to local gun or pawn shops and check out their inventories. If a shooting range will let you rent them, try a few different models. Then go to a gun show with 3 guns in mind. If you find one that looks clean below the price you have found it for elsewhere, get it. If not, leave the gun show and go straight to the pawn/gun shop to buy that weapon.

What's wrong with the FMK? While I've been nothing but happy with both my Glock 21 and 17 Gen 4s, I do think that the M&P range and carry kit is a better value in Canada, especially if you're going to get into some form of action shooting competition; the holster and mag pouch are like a $50 value in and of themselves, never mind that it's already cheaper than a Glock.

If you're going with the M&P, keep the .22 version if you can afford to, otherwise the Advantage Arms .22 conversion for Gen4 Glocks is somewhat of a pain in the ass to find in Canada. It's been so long since I've shot something, I almost can't wait to qualify on the government's dime, even if I don't much care for the Beretta PX4 storm.

Actually the FMK has treated me well, i'm just having a hell of a time finding a holster to fit it properly. Also i had forgotten how much i love a 9mm, so it's got me thinking i want a mainstream one with a proven track record. Decisions...hmmm

I paid $500 new for my Gen 1 Glock 23 10 years ago.

I paid $400 used for my Gen 4 Glock 23 in January haven't noticed a big difference in shooting quality, though some of the parts are a little different (grips and springs).

The M&P is a cool-looking gun (especially next to a Glock, which always strike me as the Volvo of handguns) and it feels good in the hand, but I've seen a couple of used M&Ps with rust on the slide after a short time. That turned me off from them.

CZ makes a fine pistol. My dad has an old CZ that is a copy of a Browning Hi-Power and it shoots great, but recoil is a bitch--even with 9mm. However, a well-cared for CZ in a modern model is accurate, reliable, and attractive.

I say do a lot of shopping around. Check prices online, go to local gun or pawn shops and check out their inventories. If a shooting range will let you rent them, try a few different models. Then go to a gun show with 3 guns in mind. If you find one that looks clean below the price you have found it for elsewhere, get it. If not, leave the gun show and go straight to the pawn/gun shop to buy that weapon.

I also heard about the rust issue, not something i want to deal with at all, has me thinking. CZ's are cool but i kind of narrowed down to Glock and M&P as my favorites. Starting to lean a little toward the Glock.....except the M&P range kit comes with all the goodies...

I also heard about the rust issue, not something i want to deal with at all, has me thinking. CZ's are cool but i kind of narrowed down to Glock and M&P as my favorites. Starting to lean a little toward the Glock.....except the M&P range kit comes with all the goodies...

and looks like a killer death ray. The glock looks like something a grandma would shoot.

Actually the FMK has treated me well, i'm just having a hell of a time finding a holster to fit it properly. Also i had forgotten how much i love a 9mm, so it's got me thinking i want a mainstream one with a proven track record. Decisions...hmmm

Holsters, accessories and ammo availability are important, which is partially why my taste in common and available firearms have developed the way they have; I don't chase unicorns. Don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily steering you away from Glock; it's just that they're so damned overpriced up here. You can't go wrong with either.

As I understand it the rust issue on the M&P has been resolved. Apparently the first few runs had several batches that were not properly heated during the nitrocarburization ( aka Tennifer, Melonite, Black Nitride, et al) process. Properly done, nitrocarburized steel is exceptionally corrosion resistant, even more so than chrome. If the proper heat level is not achieved, however, the steel is actually more rust prone than untreated steel. Also, I believe that M&P's are stainless steel, which does not "take" to nitrocarburization as well as carbon or 41xx CMV steels, like those used by Glock.

EDIT: Nitrocarburized stainless is still tougher\more resistant than untreated stainless, just not as tough as carbon or CMV steel given the same treatment.

IMO, the glock is a better gun with more aftermarket support. Combat proven for ....25ish years...

Back