HELP! which way to wear mouth-guard??

rabeler

White Belt
Reaction score
hey, i enjoy boxing sometimes with other team mates. but i have a under-bite (lower jaw sticks out farther then upper jaw) do i wear the mouth-guard on my bottom or upper jaw? i currently use the boil and bite shock-doctor mouth-guard , i don't know how the quality compares with the other brands. i currently wear it on my upper teeth which leaves the bottom teeth for damage... every time i box i would always stress out about my teeth and check in the mirror if all the teeth are still in proper shape. so should i wear the mouth-guard on my bottom or upper teeth? and does having a under-bite mean i'm more acceptable to getting knocked out easier? thanks for the help i appreciate it.

You still wear it on the upper teeth, as those are still the ones most susceptible to damage or being knocked out or loosened. And, no you are not more susceptible to being knocked out as long as you keep your jaw closed, and focus on breathing through your nose.

I am not a sports dentist, however, you may want to consider a double, if the over bite is really pronounced or discuss the situation with a custom mouthguard professional.

:icon_chee

I remember reading where a mouth guard manufacturer posted that you wear them on whichever teeth stick out more. They said to wear it on your bottom teeth if you have an under bite.

Generally, mouth guards cover your upper teeth only, but in some instances (such as if you wear braces or another fixed dental appliance on your lower jaw), your dentist will make a mouth guard for the lower teeth as well. Your dentist can suggest the best mouth guard for you. An effective mouth guard should be comfortable, resist tears, be durable and easy to clean, and should not restrict your breathing or speech. - Reviewed and approved by the Cleveland Clinic Department of Dentistry.

While Shock Doctor does make a lower jaw mouth guard, it is specifically to be used "only with helmets and face masks".

This MIGHT apply to custom mouthguards ONLY

Customguards.com: Detailed Instructions On How To Use Your Gladiator Impression System

there is a paragraph here that says:

"Do you have a prognothic bite (your lower jaw protrudes out past or further than your upper jaw)? In this case, you need to take an impression of your lower teeth only. This is where you need your protection or Gladiator mouthguard."

That is really interesting. I have a Gladiator Elite, and can honestly say, I must have missed that, but that is indeed what it says. I have always heard and read the opposite. I would really like to hear from some definitive knowledgable sources, and get their opinions on that topic. Interesting for sure.

any other inputs? its a real pain boxing and having to stress about my teeth every time i get hit in the mouth. my teeth has gotten messed up a few times already even thought i wear a mouth guard. i guest these boil and bite mouth guards aren't very good. thanks for the help so far

any other inputs? its a real pain boxing and having to stress about my teeth every time i get hit in the mouth. my teeth has gotten messed up a few times already even thought i wear a mouth guard. i guest these boil and bite mouth guards aren't very good. thanks for the help so far

Personally, unless you want to go with a double (upper and lower combined), you may want to contact Sports Guards International at the link above that people listed, and see what they recommend. Their mid-range guard is the Gladiator Pro custom at around $50.00, and takes about a week with the turn around time.

Explain your underbite concerns, and I am sure they can give you the best recommendation. Quite a few people on here use their Pro model, and seem to be very pleased with it. It is not much more than most quality Boil and Bites out there, but much higher quality.

Back