help troubleshooting a newb problem: stacked attempting triangle

Will_N.O.

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As a 2-month white belt newb, I have been focusing primarily on position techniques so far: basic sweeps, gaurd passes, etc. As a result my submission skills are still barely better than first-day level.

In an effort to improve, lately I have been going for a very basic triangle from guard we covered in class, setting up with grips on both sleeves and feet on the biceps. When I try to split the arms and throw my leg over, 99% of the time I get the leg caught and get stacked up.

Anyone else have this problem when starting, and if so how did you fix it? There have got to be some basic elements of the technique I am f'ing up for this to keep happening, and I had good luck in the past with getting tips from some of the wiser heads on this forum so I thought I'd give it a shot.

As a 2-month white belt newb, I have been focusing primarily on position techniques so far: basic sweeps, gaurd passes, etc. As a result my submission skills are still barely better than first-day level.

In an effort to improve, lately I have been going for a very basic triangle from guard we covered in class, setting up with grips on both sleeves and feet on the biceps. When I try to split the arms and throw my leg over, 99% of the time I get the leg caught and get stacked up.

Anyone else have this problem when starting, and if so how did you fix it? There have got to be some basic elements of the technique I am f'ing up for this to keep happening, and I had good luck in the past with getting tips from some of the wiser heads on this forum so I thought I'd give it a shot.

ok, I will give this a shot, although explaining technique in the Gi is hard cause its so technical.

Starting with both feet on the biceps, arch your back, pushing your training partner away from you (keep your sleeve hold and feet on the biceps). quickly push one of your feet (heel first) under that arm. Cross your feet or traingle your legs (sometimes it works better if your pull them back down towards you after you push your leg through). The next part gets tricky. All at once you need to pull the arm that is part of the triangle to the other side of your body, switch your legs so the triangle is no longer reversed and pull them back down towards you. It will take some practice but when you work it out its slick as hell.

Wow they taught you triangle from spider guard before closed guard...

What happened to teaching beginners the newby "push one hand in pull one hand out" triangle setup from guard?

Getting stacked early in the setup means you're not controlling them well enough by grabbing your own shin to help you set up your legs and/or you are rampantly telegraphing. Getting stacked in the triangle usually means your angle is not good enough. In any case, here's some good basic pointers in this vid:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2v7GFAI_2k&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y2v7GFAI_2k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Heres a mini tip:

Since your wearing Gi you have less friction with the mat. If you successfully land a triangle, excellent but if constantly getting stacked you may have to ask your instructor why you angle is off. Anyhow a quick easy tip while in Gi and being stacked while your Triangle is deep on them is to scoot/walk backwards using your shoulder blades ...then possibly create and angle for a armbar OR Triangle Push-up like Codemonkeys link to Aesopians page.

You need space and they constantly want to stack, so dont spaz out. Use your shoulder blades and walk backwards and look for an angle.

Heres a mini tip:

Since your wearing Gi you have less friction with the mat. If you successfully land a triangle, excellent but if constantly getting stacked you may have to ask your instructor why you angle is off. Anyhow a quick easy tip while in Gi and being stacked while your Triangle is deep on them is to scoot/walk backwards using your shoulder blades ...then possibly create and angle for a armbar OR Triangle Push-up like Codemonkeys link to Aesopians page.

You need space and they constantly want to stack, so dont spaz out. Use your shoulder blades and walk backwards and look for an angle.

Also, grips his shoulder gi material and your "across" leg, then open your triangle and post your "free" leg on his hip. Then turn your hips more as your make your angle closer to 90 degrees. Now relock your triangle to finish.

If you can, underhook the leg on the opposite side from where your legs are triangled. (If your opponent's right arm is inside the triangle, you would underhook his left leg).

If you can get this underhook, when he tries to stack you, you can sweep him to his side or his back and finish from there.

If you cannot reach the leg and he stacks you...another poster already wrote about scooting back on your shoulders.

Also, as soon as you lock the half-triangle, you should grab your shin. That way you can use the other leg on his hip -- to keep distance and to angle off -- until you are ready to lock the full triangle.

Also, grips his shoulder gi material and your "across" leg, then open your triangle and post your "free" leg on his hip. Then turn your hips more as your make your angle closer to 90 degrees. Now relock your triangle to finish.

Yeah, I think this is what you're looking for. The foot of the leg that isn't cutting across his neck should be on his hip.

The foot controls his hip and pushes him away (and prevents him from coming forward to stack). If you are strong enough, the force of the push combined with pulling on the arm that goes into the triangle, will break their base by stretching them flat out on their tummy.

At the same time, the push allows you to turn your hips 90 degrees to his neck, so your other leg can bite down on the choke.

My triangles suck, so I went to one of the higher belts for help and that is excatly what he showed me. the only difference is he started with the foot on the hip and used to help elevate his hips. I was able to get into the right position a lot easier.

Back