Help sparring a wrestler

What style wrestling background does he have?

afjiu-jitsuguy said:
Noo... wrestlers (if they are in trouble) go to their stomachs. Where you can obviously get the back.

If they are going to be turned to their back then they would prefer the stomach. I think it is 1 point to give up back and 2 or 3 to show back to floor. It has been a while for me so that scoring may have changed.

The two guys I usually roll with are freestyle and folkstyle. I will definately try footsweeps next time, but I plan on getting my ass handed to me anyway because I am giving up 20+ pounds. Haha I am so retarded.

try an omaplatta, let him get a little comfortable then attack

Usually when he rushes at you. Do the head and arm throw or a hip toss. With all his momentum hell soar into air

submissions should really be their kryptonite.

various submissions from places where they are comfortable
going for their own thing, and then BAM, wow, I wasn't
expecting that!!

Usually when he rushes at you. Do the head and arm throw or a hip toss. With all his momentum hell soar into air

Right, because wrestlers dont drill those all day.

I've sparred a few wrestlers before and I always just pull gaurd and triangle.

Q mystic said:
Taking his back is what a wrestler is trained to not let you do.

every wrestler i have trained with will give his back right away..

Coleman said:
I've sparred a few wrestlers before and I always just pull gaurd and triangle.

Yeah dude, pull guard and work for subs...Thats what i do when i fight Judokas and wrestlers in BJJ practice...Cuz its like putting them out of their element when they have a hard time, or just cant pass guard it all...its your game when you do that!!

Bring an extra gi. Get them to put it on. Heh heh. Old judo trick.

lol 2 state wrestlers, and you with very little experience, jus keep working on your game and be prepared to get owned!

Omoplata! Scissor sweep! Triangles! RNC and Hooks! Knee Bars! Heel hooks!

These work best for me.

avoid the shot sprawl like no tommorrow. and once you get them or they get you down work from the guard they like to be on top usualy and control set up from there if you have a good guard.

GuardGame said:
Yeah dude, pull guard and work for subs...Thats what i do when i fight Judokas and wrestlers in BJJ practice...Cuz its like putting them out of their element when they have a hard time, or just cant pass guard it all...its your game when you do that!!

So, you have absolutely no experience grappling, huh? Do you honestly think that judokas and wrestlers (but mainly judokas) have no idea about what the guard is and how to pass it? This just shows that you're nothing but a keyboard warrior. Nice try, though.

Please get some real experience grappling before posting your bullshit up. It's pretty embarrassing.

lol. You're the guy that started the thread about judo vs. wrestling, huh? You have no idea what these grappling styles entail and you act like you have them all figured out. Rofl. So funny reading what little kids post on the board these days. I guess this is a downfall of MMA going mainstream.

And to the threadstarter, if you have little experience grappling and decide to go up against some serious college wrestlers and think that you can beat them by reading what some guys on the internet post, then you seriously need to grow up and grow a brain.

Go and practice. Gain experience. And then try to practice with the wrestlers. And then you'll be able to learn what works against wrestlers. Posting on Sherdog ain't gonna make you a master grappler.

But if you want a few pointers to help you in the future, learn to sprawl if they're freestyle wrestlers. You can try crossfacing them or just pushing their head down while sprawling. But these techniques require practice. You're not gonna be able to do it overnight if these wrestlers are good.

But again, these techniques are not going to work unless you go learn them properly and gain experience in rolling with others first.

Ok so time for an update. Had a match the other day against one of the guys. Started off going for Osoto-gari, which didn't work. He faked a drop, and I sort of sprawled out. I got inside bicep control, after which he pushed forward. I attempted a sesei (sorry if spelling is wrong). Again, didn't work. He dropped and did a low single (yeah I have been doing my research kinda).

Now I pull guard. I pull an arm across. He attempts to stand up, and I pull a leg across his face going for armbar. He powers out (he is stronger than me, and has about 20 lbs on me). He slides around and I end up in half guard. From here, I attempt a sweep, and end up in guard again. He attempts to force a pass, and I end up sliding out and getting his back. Go for the choke, he throws me around. I catch an arm and pull an armbar from the back.

Of course, that was my only successful run so far. Thanks for all those who posted actual advice. And thank you, ryouboard, for being so encouraging to someone who is trying to learn.

Back