Help on the outside

nottingham90

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
On the outside (boxing) and circling the ring, does anyone have any good pointers on controlling distance better against someone who KNOWS how to pressure forward and cut the ring off. I dont mind guys who rush forward but when a guy is methodical about cutting the ring off it threw me off today. Kind of like how jleon got beat up in his last fight.

1) They have to feel threatened. Stiff jabs and standing your ground when they're put off-balance by them.

2) They need to be misdirected. You can't just outright run from them and give them a ton of forward momentum. Reel them in and keep your turns small, lest you run out of space. All you need is to be able to cut an angle. And when you do, attack them. Don't just go far out and start all over again.

3) There's nothing that will take the oomph out of anyone like a committed body attack.

One thing that's been killing my pressure game is smothering myself. You could step in with them as they step in. Since you already know the distance is going to be point blank you can bump and step off then let your hands go from an angle other than right in front of them.

2) They need to be misdirected. You can't just outright run from them and give them a ton of forward momentum. Reel them in and keep your turns small, lest you run out of space. All you need is to be able to cut an angle. And when you do, attack them. Don't just go far out and start all over .

Is making small turns and small movements with your footwork key? I never thought of it that way I usually like to look at Lara as a reference for the outside and it seems he covers a lot of ground when he moves.

Lara's movements are too big, which is why a lot of decisions don't favor him. He appears to be dis-engaging too much. But the purpose of making the movements smaller is so that the pressure guy doesn't perceive that you're afraid to be in front of him. You move, he turns, you're right there, you hit him before he can set. That could get in their heads a lot better than if you jumped 4 feet back.

Something that can help with those small angles is moving opposite where your opponent's weight is going. So if he's doing something that's bringing his head to his left (slipping inside your jab, throwing a right hand, loading a left hook, etc), then if you can pivot clockwise (towards his right) you'll get a better angle for less work. You'll force him to change directions which is slow, and if you time it as he's stepping then he'll often give you an even bigger angle and take even longer to recover, while you'll be planted with him in your sights.

Something that can help with those small angles is moving opposite where your opponent's weight is going. So if he's doing something that's bringing his head to his left (slipping inside your jab, throwing a right hand, loading a left hook, etc), then if you can pivot clockwise (towards his right) you'll get a better angle for less work. You'll force him to change directions which is slow, and if you time it as he's stepping then he'll often give you an even bigger angle and take even longer to recover, while you'll be planted with him in your sights.
Yo, that's a fucking great tip. Thanks man.

Back