HELP - Obnoxious or Unreasonable Requests or Favors by Friends and How to Say No

Neither one of you is unreasonable.

He asked. You say no. If you need a way to soften the "no", your wife's pregnancy is a perfect line. Say she is not feeling well, is on bed rest, or something that implies she is not up to it. Which is not really a lie.

Kamloops and Van?

I'm in Edmonton, buddy's in Calgary.

Tell you friend he sounds like a poor person and give him directions on how he can succinctly fuck right off.

A few of you have made the suggestion of making up some excuse as to why that weekend simply won't work. Normally I'd probably take that route, but I kind of feel like that's being disingenuous to my friend, but what's more, I think that if I'm not clear with him now about how we feel about this, this could come up again in the future.

About a year and a half ago I had a somewhat similar situation when we had invited them up for a weekend, and at the last minute they asked if my buddy's wife's 17 year old half-brother could stay with us too. The problem I had with that was that this kid had just dropped out of high school and had just got out of juvy for stealing or some shit and he was on his way to the Yukon via hitch hiking. My wife and I were not at all cool with this as how do we know that this little prick wouldn't steal some of my wife's jewellery or something like that? Yet my friend seemed completely oblivious to our apprehension. Luckily the kid changed his own plans or something and ended up not needing to stay at our place that weekend.

In any event I think honesty is the best policy here because I want to nip this problem in the bud so that my friend will understand that my wife and I have boundaries.

I usually just use my mouth to utter the word "No"

Fuck having strangers in my house. I just say no to stuff like that. I don't care if people think I'm a dick because of it.

Offer to pitch in for the nearest hotel room.

Buddy and wife plus kid? sure. Dog? nope, my dog is a raging psychopath. To guys I don't know? not likely.

1. Yes he is being unreasonable. If it was just him, wife and baby then although still a bit much it would be more acceptable. But not two random guys too.
It's not like they've been kicked out onto the streets and lost their home, they could stay somewhere else.

2. You're not being unreasonable.

3. I would just lie. Make something up, say you're going away or something.

Fuck having strangers in my house. I just say no to stuff like that. I don't care if people think I'm a dick because of it.

You never really hear about how awesome the strangers turned out to be.

Youre not being unreasonable but I think you should let him, his wife and his kid stay. You've know him for 20 years so two days as a favour would be a decent gesture. With regard to his two mates you should look up cheap motels in the area and give him the number. Him asking for a favour for himself is fine but expecting you to put up two random strangers is taking the piss, especially if you don't have the room

i would have no problem doing this for a friend, it might even be fun..

He's asking too much imo. I'd never let two strangers stay at my house. I'd not let his dog in either.

Buddy and wife, absolutely.

Buddy, wife, and baby ... probably.

Buddy, wife, and dog ... ehhh still probably.

Buddy, wife, baby, and dog ... borderline.

Buddy, wife, two strangers ... no.

Buddy, wife, two strangers, baby, dog ... not just not, but hell no.

Tell your buddy your wife won't let you let them stay lol

you and your wife should go away that weekend.

no, but seriously, your friend is asking too much. but maybe he is only asking because he is your best friend.

what's weird to me is, your friend sounds rich. why would they not just get a hotel? it's only a couple of days. his dad bought him a house just to go to school,....he fucking lived in new fucking Zealand

sounds like he's making Anderson silva money

Just have them over for the weekend. It's really not a big deal. I would definitely let them stay, it would probably make for a fun weekend.

But if you don't want to, just say exactly that.

I'd love it if five of my friends came over for the weekend. Kids, buddies, and dogs. Its a weekend. Sounds like TS's only reluctance is how the misuses is going to react. Which is fair tbh its her house too.

Just think up an excuse. Perhaps a dear family member from out of town is visiting that weekend

Don't say "No" outright. Make an excuse and the in-laws one mentioned in this thread is a good one.

Clear with wife that you're using her as an excuse if you don't have a standing understanding. Use wife as excuse. Shout dinner one night.

Or.

Tell him (provided wife is in accord) that the three of them are welcome any time, but the friends and the dog have to fend for themselves.

Back